City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

Anyone know what was on the space before the City Hall??

Centuries ago there was a college and grounds until some guy called Oliver Cromwell came to Perth and destroyed them. The open space was later used for markets until the city hall was built. There was also a parsonage roughly where the lesser city hall is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bertrand
Marvellous! Champagne will be on ice at Beefeater Towers ahead of the council rubber stamping the order to send in the bulldozers.

A charity auction to have a swing at it with a wrecking ball would be fun.

I would have assumed you'd be having Gin at Beefeater Towers... guffaw

Seems the council just copied my response to their public consultation word for word, good on 'em...!

wont be a wrecking ball. Will be an expensive and long slog to take it down, they have to protect the kirk, if the government and historic scotland allow it to come down, just cause the council say yes doesnt mean it will happen.

Sadly true. The council have to try and convince others on the strength of a minority public vote in that poll. Even the business figure is just a majority in no more. Can't believe it came out as anything other than a resounding 'demolish it' result.

It's a pity the council just can't knock it down. Will be annoying if it has to stay because residents of other towns and cities say we have to keep it.

Hope I'm wrong but I think the council have a fight on their hands to do this because of that survey.

wont be a wrecking ball. Will be an expensive and long slog to take it down, they have to protect the kirk, if the government and historic scotland allow it to come down, just cause the council say yes doesnt mean it will happen.

Historic Scotland are a body that run/own a whole pile of Scottish Castles, Churches, Abbeys and other buildings of public interest.

Correct me if i'm wrong (pretty sure i'm not!) but they'll have no say it whatsoever because it's not one of their properties.

Historic Scotland are a body that run/own a whole pile of Scottish Castles, Churches, Abbeys and other buildings of public interest.

Correct me if i'm wrong (pretty sure i'm not!) but they'll have no say it whatsoever because it's not one of their properties.

Due to its listed status they have a hefty say in the matter. The council vote is meaningless as there is plenty more quangos to go through.

Guest Bertrand

They are a stakeholder in the project if for no other reason than their own building being adjacent to the hall - they will be consulted fully on all matters to get their buy in - if they kick up a stink things can rumble on time-wise, so getting them on board early and consulting fully with them will be an ongoing process.

Edited by Bertrand
cant spell

• 1 year later...

Any update on this eyesore comming down ?

Would like a nice wee european style square to sit in when i next come home for a visit.

I would also like some more nice little cafe type bars and in the middle a nice saints crest fountain with blue water spurting out of the eagles beak...

Would like a nice wee european style square to sit in when i next come home for a visit.

I would also like some more nice little cafe type bars and in the middle a nice saints crest fountain with blue water spurting out of the eagles beak...

I will speak to the council and request that they meet your requirements sir.:D

Either that or I will speak to Erchie and tell him to take you to the pub.:laugh:

And it can be called "The Jean Rattray Plaza" :D

Is that your house or a shed ?

Looks like Colin and Justin need to visit :wink:

nanook of the north hows pingu.would ye like the cherubs from the top of the city hall to go on top of yer hoose.