Liverpool in a crisis ?

bobby kemp

I can't remember the details as it was a few years back but I think the family I'm thinking of were from North East England. Might of been 3 kids, not 3 moves. The guy sold his story to the press claiming his family (all ginger) were being victimised for being ginger then they all ended up on Jeremy Kyle and it turned out the kids (early primary school age) were smashing windows, smoking, getting in trouble with the police and being antisocial. Pretty sure the council had kicked them out of at least 1 place.

I see the point you are making ODAB, but at the same time Language is the way we categorise, interpret and construct the social world, if we are serious about challenging racism it starts with language....after extensive due process, looking at the context - Swarez was found guilty No-one should be harshly judged for making a simple mistake, and generally people are not, did your samba drumming guy get whisked away for 10 years hard labour by the nefarious 'PC brigade'? I doubt it! On the other hand should a professional footballer be able to chase an opponent around the field of play hurling racist abuse? As you say context!

The issue of intent for me is complicated by people who think they a have a 'right' to use racist language. Does anyone have the right to use language like 'm*ng' or 'Sp*zz' even if they 'don't mean anything by it'. Same goes for 'p*ki' or any other racist language not acceptable in the public sphere.

Yes, but can a player who comes from a different culture just be expected to understand and know the "correct" terminolgy? The FA, EPL and PFA do nothing in this regard but expect players to just know. The clubs don't do anything about it either, or certainly Liverpool said they didn't have any kind of education in this respect. He used a term that for 20 plus years of his life has been acceptable, and having been in the country for around 7 or 8 months he should just know. My gran spent 70 years of her life calling chinese people "chinks" as it was the common and acceptable thing to do for the majority of her life. She didn't have any ill will or feeling towards Chinese people, she just used a term that is now rightly considered innappropriate. You couldn't just expect her to understand this or change a lifetime of culture.

We'll ignore the huge issues and problems with the "guilty" verdict, the circumstances of the situation have not been considered in this procedure and punishment. Zero tolerance is intolerance. As such you can't combat intolerance with intolerance. You can't fight discrimination by discriminating. Look what happend with affirmative action. If Suarez had been in this country for a considerable time or if he wasn't from a culture that accepted that word then by all means give him an unprecedented ban. He is being judged in by British standards and British culture despite only just coming here. It doesn't mean he is allowed to use such language but it does mean that it must be taken into consideration when examining the whole situation and deciding upon the relevant action. But in any case where justice is to be served, the circumstances and context have to be considered. They weren't in this instance and that is why Liverpool have a right to stand up for their player.

Edited by ODAB

• 2 weeks later...
I think the whole episode would of been over had that wee knob shaken Evra's hand.I dont why the Liverpool players were getting so upset for at the end of the game.What Suarez did at the start of the game was more disrespectful.

Would never be over - the media wouldnt allow it.

Look at the end of the game -Evra didnt do himself any favours and that was festering for 90 plus minutes during the game.

Ferguson and Dalglish should have had more sense reacting to a "non existent handshake"

English football in crisis-----What odds on Chris Powell or Paul Ince becoming England Manager ??

Suarez has now apologised and personally I wish he had just shaken his hand however.....looking at the incident again check out the look of pure hatred on Evras coupon.That says more than any words exchanged in the heat of a match. In Suarez shoes,you have been fined £40,000 ,forced to miss 8 games for a crime that you dont believe you have committed and then you see that look. Not explaining myself well but Ican see a reason although I dont neccessarily agree with it.

Suarez has now apologised and personally I wish he had just shaken his hand however.....looking at the incident again check out the look of pure hatred on Evras coupon.That says more than any words exchanged in the heat of a match. In Suarez shoes,you have been fined £40,000 ,forced to miss 8 games for a crime that you dont believe you have committed and then you see that look. Not explaining myself well but Ican see a reason although I dont neccessarily agree with it.

Know what you mean & with you on that.

I don't get why Liverpool players were getting so upset by evra's celebration.

Same as I didn't understand why Fergie and the Man U players got the same so upset then the gunners did the same at old Trafford years ago.

Swings and roundabouts.

Yep the boy was wrong in what he said to evra, done and dusted. Funny how Keane is still seen as a hero though, and he went out to injure someone, and managed it.

Hero's, always have a flaw.