Better than Aberdeen 5-0 Game?

soulfulsaint

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better.

The Aberdeen game was immediately what I thought of last night. I remember there was a general sense of disbelief about that result at the time. But I also seem to think we were doing pretty well in the league at the time? We'd had good results, were sitting fairly well.

This season we've consolidated, done fine for a team coming up, but haven't done anything to set the world alight. People who don't know much about Scottish football (ie nearly all of my acquaintances down here) are only vaguely aware, if at all, that we even got promoted last year. But they will see that result and it'll make them sit up.

Astounding result. Well done to all of them.

Not as good, but not by much.

Against Aberdeen, we were playing the Scottish Cup winners and one of the best teams in the country, managed by one of the best managers in the country and, of course, had a team that included Jim Bett and Scotland's next big thing (still) Eoin Jess. We were aided by the early red card to David Robertson (full back) after approximately half an hour, but it was a very convincing performance against a side who gave it a decent go.

Against Hibs, it was a dominant performance (more so than the Aberdeen game), however it was against a team that didn't look interested at all once they were 2 down early doors and it became a procession.

Great result but not better than the Aberdeen game - will we be printing copies of the sports page of the Scotsman and printing it on t-shirts for this one like we did with the Aberdeen P&J.

Same result on Saturday however and legends will be made.

PS - was this not the gamde when a legend of ours was compared with footballs greats (he was only missing out on the pace!) or was that another legendary result?

Great result but not better than the Aberdeen game - will we be printing copies of the sports page of the Scotsman and printing it on t-shirts for this one like we did with the Aberdeen P&J.

Same result on Saturday however and legends will be made.

PS - was this not the gamde when a legend of ours was compared with footballs greats (he was only missing out on the pace!) or was that another legendary result?

Happy to oblige:wink:

2 great results......i think the Aberdeen one shades it by a mile or so......the Hibs game was totally unexpected and had the same play/attitude that we showed a couple of seasons ago in a second half performance against Hamilton.

I hope last night was not a one-off that has fans looking for even greater things....we are still not the side we want to be.

Aberdeen was the bigger game because they had been a major power in the 80's and to see them being destroyed on a September afternoon in front of a big Aberdeen support with great wing play by Moore and Maskrey who both took out their full backs. It was a massacre and I'm sure the frustration finally gotr to them as they got a man sent off like last night.

Aberdeen game by a good bit. Now if we beat Rangers on Saturday 5-0 that may just top it :D

Out of interest that result in 1990 has not been forgotten up North. I found this quote on an Aberdeen board last night

"Gees, who'd ship 5 at McDiarmid Park.......

oh wait a minute

:?"

which then got the reply

"Ach, that was nearly 20 years ago. We've improved sinc...

Oh, wait a minute."

Genuinely don't know yet.

Aberdeen was unquestionably bigger in that it was a greater stunner to the outside world. I haven't come across any Hibs supporters who were surprised by this result - I even came across the guy who had Saints to win 3-0 in his pub draw.

However, I think this squad has more in it than the 1990 team. What it has needed is the belief that its potential can be rewarded in emphatic form, and that is what last night thunderously delivered. Effectively, it secures an SPL place for next year, and everyone else now knows that.

So, in terms of what it means looking forward I think this result shades it, and I'm not taking off the rose coloured shades until prove othewise.

There was a major difference and that was that Saints had a bad start to the season before meeting Aberdeen. As said on another thread we had lost 2-0 to Clyde in the first round of the League Cup and been beaten by Dundee United 3-1 in the first Premier League game who had Duncan Ferguson and Christian Dailly in their side. We struggled but Totten believed we had the players and then Aberdeen arrived. After the Aberdeen game we then drew with Celtic AWAY, then beat Hearts AWAY. So the Aberdeen result didn't just raise eyebrows but changed our season.

in 1990 a crowd of 8,711 watched Saints dismantle Aberdeen 5-0. To many of that generation the Dons seemed 'invincible' and the score-line sent a shockwave through Scottish football.

It was a great day in the club's history but was the 5-1 demolition of Hibs a better result. If so why?

Discuss.

no

in 1990 a crowd of 8,711 watched Saints dismantle Aberdeen 5-0. To many of that generation the Dons seemed 'invincible' and the score-line sent a shockwave through Scottish football.

It was a great day in the club's history but was the 5-1 demolition of Hibs a better result. If so why?

Discuss.

Do you only get one result every 20 years to blaw about?

I take it as a massive compliment that you rate a one off fluke result against The Hibs as one of your greatest results in 20 years!

I might even do another run of Hooky videos of the game for you all.

The Ghostie guy will be head of the queue PMing me for his orders

AGAIN!

Do you only get one result every 20 years to blaw about?

I take it as a massive compliment that you rate a one off fluke result against The Hibs as one of your greatest results in 20 years!

I might even do another run of Hooky videos of the game for you all.

The Ghostie guy will be head of the queue PMing me for his orders

AGAIN!

No we had one when we beat the **** at Ibrox in 2006. Don't really think beating an overrated bunch of sand dancers at home who are in a false league position is even up with that. Never mind the Aberdeen game ! :wink:

Edited by silver_blue

Discuss.

The Aberdeen game was something special. We had just been promoted with a team of part-time players. We hadnt started that great in the SPL and Aberdeen were genuine title contenders at the time.

Hibs on the otherhand have produced some great football but are nowhere near the level of the Aberdeen Team at that time.

I think that Aberdeen Game was a bigger result by a considerable distance.