The Ormond Saints Grass versus Astro Debate!!

So what do you prefer to play your football on?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have suggested Methven recently as a grass pitch. There are 2 and the bigger one is on a significant slope but its been suggested that it'd be avail' most of the time and at a reasonable price too.

I do prefer 3G astro to grass but if its between grass and McD astro in the better weather i'll take grass.

Larky I accept your point about being so much more cost effective too. VERY valid!

• 2 weeks later...
if you can get the grass itches at North Muirton i may well pay for it out of my own pocket!!Do you not think i have investigated that posibility?

The pitches at North muirton were given to the community club at Jeanfield swifts and taken out of the council pool when the community facility was handed over 2 years ago. This is the same deal as Letham have a 7 acres.

The community club which has 4 boys teams, an armature and several girls teams are in turn responsible for the upkeep of the pitches etc and thus to avoid the pitches turning into another 7 acres have removed the goal posts and use portable goals.

Saints used to still turn up and train on the pitches until the council told them where to go so the Lark Saint is correct in that you cannot hire these pitches any more

The pitches at North muirton were given to the community club at Jeanfield swifts and taken out of the council pool when the community facility was handed over 2 years ago. This is the same deal as Letham have a 7 acres.

The community club which has 4 boys teams, an armature and several girls teams are in turn responsible for the upkeep of the pitches etc and thus to avoid the pitches turning into another 7 acres have removed the goal posts and use portable goals.

Saints used to still turn up and train on the pitches until the council told them where to go so the Lark Saint is correct in that you cannot hire these pitches any more

Great pitches, played on them for North Muirton u19s a year or two ago, also got to play on the pitch inside the fences, its like a carpet!

Great pitches, played on them for North Muirton u19s a year or two ago, also got to play on the pitch inside the fences, its like a carpet!

They always have been and Gannochy ended up playing there all the time as no one wanted to go there because of the area but we loved the flat surface and the fact that the pitches would be playable when the inch was off

The Juniors put a lot of work into their pitch and spent 5 grand on it in the summer to make sure it was in great condition for this season.

The community club hope the builders at Simpson park will build a 3rd pitch by the river (as per the deal with the council and the Swifts) as if we get too many teams the pitches will get damaged

• 1 month later...

About a year ago, any idea how many we've played on grass since?

Me and Kaylor were talking last night about how our best performances have came on astroturf. When we play on grass we just hoof it up the park and we don't really have the grit to deal with it when it comes back down.

Don't know if any of you guys have tried the new astro turf pitch at Crieff High School (or now known as Strathearn Campus), must be the best in Perthshire, better than McDiarmid.

Since last time I was out there they have knocked down the old school and built a big new campus with swimming pool and other mini pitches.

Cheaper than McD too. I wouldn't be surprised if Saints give it a try. Think their's is 3G and this is the new 4G.