End of an Era..

The Inspiration

Entirely agree with last post Stuart Duff spent 20+years of his life living and breathing St Johnstone At various times he was hated by managers, players and fans sometimes all at the same time but he always had the best interests of Saints at heart and never took a penny out of the club above and beyond his salary.

I think that it's a real pity that the supporters didn't organise a dinner for him.Still not too late

' .

I totally agee!

He looked quite taken aback when I thanked him for everything he''d done for the club at the player of the season do in the Muirton Suite.

He never set out to win any popularity vote at Saints but his contribution to our club has been huge and only (argueably) bettered by Geoff Brown.

I would support a dinner in his name.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think their gripe was it was docked from their wages without asking them rather than it being a "collection" that you choose whether to donate to.

Are you sure about that? If so the clubs HR practices needs looked at as it's illegal to make any unauthorised deductions from an employees wages - unless it's retail and money is missing from the cash area/till point :)

As much as we've all had our run-in's with Mr Duff I wonder how many people would be in the position he was in and last as long as he did with the changes and abuse he's taken over the years? No mean feat to put up with that. As the old saying goes... "You're never gonna please everyone!"

it is still true however that Duffer is the longest serving club employee in modern times and that should not go unrecognised by the fans.Not many people would put up with the crap he had to put up with from the likes of Andy Rhodes John Inglis Willie mclaren not to mention a certain bald director and still carry on week in week out

Perhaps he was simply the most honest, senior member of St Johnstone FC? His reputation tends to be exaggerated by our less intelligent and more awkward fans.

Absolutely spot on.And also exaggerated by our less intelligent and more awkward fellow directors and chairmean sorry chairman

Perhaps he was simply the most honest, senior member of St Johnstone FC? His reputation tends to be exaggerated by our less intelligent and more awkward fans.

No, I think it's fair to say that Mr Duff is not particularly a people person. He might have been a first class administrator and excellent behind the scenes, but when confronted by difficult public situations he was poor.

I don't see why you have to imply intellectual inferiority upon those who are able to see faults in others. If that were the case you'd surely consider yourself a complete dimwit.

He was a very good administrator. That was his job. His role should never have included any direct contact with fans, That's not his forte.

Sadly he did have direct contact with fans as part of his job and that was the problem. He was a rude man and as an ambassador for the club a disaster, in my opinion.

No, I think it's fair to say that Mr Duff is not particularly a people person. He might have been a first class administrator and excellent behind the scenes, but when confronted by difficult public situations he was poor.

I have watched him operate at close quarters and found that he generally treated people with the respect they deserve. I know that certain otehr members of staff hold similar opinions to Mr Duff but manage to hide those feelings. My own view is that if you think someone is a clown, you should treat them as such. I accept that Mr Duff wasn't suited to a PR role, but I don't think he had any ambition to be the pulic frace of St Johnstone, he was frequently the one who drew the short straw; bit like Paul these days...

Paul will probably never treat folk like Mr Duff did.

I don't see why you have to imply intellectual inferiority upon those who are able to see faults in others. If that were the case you'd surely consider yourself a complete dimwit.

You're missing the point entirely and deliberately.

It's not a case of ignoring his faults, it's a case of judging his overall contribution and too mnay folk on here are incapable of making such a balanced judgement. They are also guilty of miscontruing facts and taking offence at a remark once made by Mr Duff.

If you think we have balanced contributors, I would urge you to read the match thread when Thistle humped us 4-0! Del hasn't changed very much since then....

how can everyone judge him on his overall preformance when probably the majority of us don't know what the administrator does. People are judging him on what there dealings with him are, what they seen and heard.

You can only judge on what you see, what you see is what you get.

You can ask those that work with him.

You can judge his competence by such as the Jason signing.

You can compare him to his replacements.

You can take into account dealing you have had with him.

You can read the platitudes he received.

how can everyone judge him on his overall preformance when probably the majority of us don't know what the administrator does. People are judging him on what there dealings with him are, what they seen and heard.

You can only judge on what you see, what you see is what you get.

He wasn't an administrator he was the General Manager of a professional Football Club and Business. As you say I can only judge what i "seen and heard". I met him as a fan, in hospitality and professionally and I found him rude, brusque and hard to communicate with. I do concede he did well for the club but still think his people skills were a hinderence.

I'm delighted he has chosen to not take a "freebie" and pay to see Saints now. Maybe he will now understand the things that infuriate the fans?

On an average salary of c. £35k (plus pension contributions) over his 17 years (I guess he would have been unpaid for the six years before that that), I would say St Johnstone had good value out of Stewart Duff. He was working seven days a week. I wonder how much the likes of Peaso have cost the club, for very little return.