#34 - Saints 1-0 Aberdeen - 16/03/10 - SPL

Looking forward to this one, the first of three consecutive Tuesday night offerings at McDiarmid. Our recent performanc levels haven't bee great and obvously Aberdeen's haven't been either, scrappy pitch too, although who knows maybe our recent spring weather revival may improve it!

I'd love for us to push on and gain the three points, a return from Samuel would be welcome, some pace and flair, Savo for whatever reason is loooking a little flat.

Another area of debate for the team lineup is between the sticks. Yes granted Smith has struggled in recent times with his decision making, which has been fortunate not to have cost us more points. I'm torn on this issue, if we had a reliable backup i'd drop Smith for a few weeks, but i'm agaist bringing Alan Main back in because he would be very, very rusty, altough I think he would be able to create a partnership with Duberry quite easily.

I've praised Graeme Smith very highly this season, but interestingly over the last few weeks i'm wondering whether he is actually any better than Main, my own belief is that Smith has that ability but is simply on a blip (Therefore should be given a break) but I just feel that Main doesn't have it at all anymore, and it would be very much for sentimental reasons that people would want him in, although i'd hate it if Main's last game was that fateful afternoon at Kilmarnock, that'd be a shame.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine, but I reiterate that Morris and Muzz are struggling with injury so we should move Midgie to the centre.

Yeah perhaps a move to the centre could benefit him, Morris especially looks well off the pace at the moment

From the strating lineup on Sat I would like to See Fil or Swankie brough in for a bit of pace we were lacking

Refresh my memory, where did he play up there? I recall him being outwide first half up there, then game onto a game second through the middle?

My memory correct?

Nah he was inside Liam Craig - you must remember??

Derek "tactical tit" McInnes played LEFT FOOTED Liam Craig on the right. And JJ on the left!!!

The first half went something like this.

Ball to Midgie. Midgie looks up and plays the ball to Liam. Liam panics and plays the ball back to Midgie. Liam then stands still! Midgie burls roond and gives the ball away.

Nah he was inside Liam Craig - you must remember??

Derek "tactical tit" McInnes played LEFT FOOTED Liam Craig on the right. And JJ on the left!!!

The first half went something like this.

Ball to Midgie. Midgie looks up and plays the ball to Liam. Liam panics and plays the ball back to Midgie. Liam then stands still! Midgie burls roond and gives the ball away.

Oh yeah, how could I forget :laugh: I mind him coming onto a game in the 2nd half.

Midgie went through a good wee run of form, hasnt done it for me now 3 on the spin - I would be thinking about a wee stint on the bench for him about now. Its worked before.

Oh yeah, how could I forget :laugh: I mind him coming onto a game in the 2nd half.

Midgie went through a good wee run of form, hasnt done it for me now 3 on the spin - I would be thinking about a wee stint on the bench for him about now. Its worked before.

indeed, he came on against falkirk and gave them a hiding, thats the millar we need right now and if we have to drop him to get that then we should.

We were done for pace in Aberdeen earlier in the season and it's good that young Pawlet is out.

Yep, he was brilliant that afternoon but we should get to see Fyvie on Tuesday, who is meant to be the real pick of the bunch. Aberdeen played really well in that first half against us in November but in the end were fortunate to win after McInnes turned things round at the break.

Like others, I'd maybe be tempted to go with one of the wingers in place of Chris Millar for this one. Will wait and see what the team news is regarding the central midfielders come tomorrow but they all seem to be struggling a wee bit. Deuchar is picking himself up top at the moment and McInnes seems to like playing Milne at home but as someone picked up on, he seemed to tweak something very early yesterday.

The Dave Mackay question obviously has a thread of it's own but like others, I think it'd be great if we could have two of him! He reads the game so well at centre back but I think he's a better option at right back than Gary Irvine too currently. McInnes seems to be a fan of Gartland, so would maybe expect him to come back in if fit and Mackay move back to the right.

Yep, he was brilliant that afternoon but we should get to see Fyvie on Tuesday, who is meant to be the real pick of the bunch. Aberdeen played really well in that first half against us in November but in the end were fortunate to win after McInnes turned things round at the break.

Like others, I'd maybe be tempted to go with one of the wingers in place of Chris Millar for this one. Will wait and see what the team news is regarding the central midfielders come tomorrow but they all seem to be struggling a wee bit. Deuchar is picking himself up top at the moment and McInnes seems to like playing Milne at home but as someone picked up on, he seemed to tweak something very early yesterday.

The Dave Mackay question obviously has a thread of it's own but like others, I think it'd be great if we could have two of him! He reads the game so well at centre back but I think he's a better option at right back than Gary Irvine too currently. McInnes seems to be a fan of Gartland, so would maybe expect him to come back in if fit and Mackay move back to the right.

I have a feeling that Mackay will retain his CB berth as he is quicker than Gartland. Anderson would be have been tailor made for this game. Danny Grainger could have a mare.

i think mooner has to start if he's fit , thought it was very harsh that he was dropped for saturday although like i say i dont know if he was carrying a knock, smith is lacking in hugely lacking in confidence but i would still have him infront of main . people seem to be forgetting how effective and consistant he has been this season , obvious exception of the past few weeks

smith

irvine mackay dubz grainger

miller moon davidson craig

deucher sheriden

main sammy morais gartland morris

I have a feeling that Mackay will retain his CB berth as he is quicker than Gartland. Anderson would be have been tailor made for this game. Danny Grainger could have a mare.

he could have a mare, but no more so than Ando when we played at Pittodrie. I know I'm not his greatest fan at the best of times, but he was particularly shite that day.

Will wait and see what the team news is regarding the central midfielders come tomorrow but they all seem to be struggling a wee bit.

...now that's a revolutionary concept, wait until they are either declared fit or not...I like that...do you think it will catch on?

Sadly being declared fit at McDiarmid is irrelevant. Del needs to use his judgement. Morris might be capable of running around for 90 minutes but he ain't fit to play; he proved that on Saturday.

Saints team news for tomorrow - Anderson remains out while Gartland is fit again.

From Press Association:

Graham Gartland returns to the St Johnstone squad for the Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Aberdeen at McDiarmid Park.

The Saints defender missed Saturday`s win over Falkirk with a virus but has recovered.

Steven Anderson, Martin Hardie and Peter MacDonald (all knee injuries) and Stuart McCaffrey remain out while captain Kevin Rutkiewicz has recovered from his knee injury but is not yet ready.

Team (from): Smith, Grainger, Irvine, Gartland, Duberry, MacKay, Morris, Craig, Davidson, Moon, Millar, Deuchar, Milne, Morais, Sheerin, Main, Sheridan, Reynolds, Connolly.

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

Fyvie Shmyvie

Main

Irvine Mackay Duberry Grainger

Midge Mooner Liam Swankie

Deuchar Sheridan

Smith Gartland Connolly Muzz Fil Savo Reynolds

I think its imperitive we have cover for our full backs, and the midfield 4, whose positions could be rearranged, will do that whilst still providing a strong attacking threat.

I think we need Mackay on the right of the back two as Gary always plays better when Dave talks him through the game.

Sheridan will play tomorrow as he will be inelegible against celtic so Del will use him to give the lone striker he intends to play at Parkhead a rest. Iv gone for Savo but it may be Deuchar.

Reynolds has done something good as he made the bench on Saturday when there were already 3 U21s in the squad. I think if we are winnning with 15 to go then Reynolds should get the nod and make his home debut.

No space for Sheerin in the squad, but He may be in there instead of Swankie or Fil, although I hope not.

Iv gone for Main in the sticks.. see the main thread on this issue for debate and reasons why.

I think the Dons are there for the taking, especially after seeing them get humped by falkirk.

Got a good feeling about the game, but a bad feeling about the XI that Del will select, pressures on him to rotate and still get a result.

Come on ye Saints

I'd like to see:

Smith,

MacKay, Duberry, Gartland, Grainger,

Morais, Davidson, Moon, Craig,

Deuchar, Milne

Bench: Main, Irvine, Connolly, Morris, Millar, Sheridan, Reynolds

Nothing to fear at all, lets get right behind the guys tomorrow it should be a close game

Saints team news for tomorrow - Anderson remains out while Gartland is fit again.

From Press Association:

Graham Gartland returns to the St Johnstone squad for the Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Aberdeen at McDiarmid Park.

The Saints defender missed Saturday`s win over Falkirk with a virus but has recovered.

Steven Anderson, Martin Hardie and Peter MacDonald (all knee injuries) and Stuart McCaffrey remain out while captain Kevin Rutkiewicz has recovered from his knee injury but is not yet ready.

Team (from): Smith, Grainger, Irvine, Gartland, Duberry, MacKay, Morris, Craig, Davidson, Moon, Millar, Deuchar, Milne, Morais, Sheerin, Main, Sheridan, Reynolds, Connolly.

No mention of Sammy, is he fit or not?