#37 - 27/03/10 - Hamilton Accies 1-0 Saints - SPL

thecat

Never in the first half as an attacking force,Deuchs is no use up there on is own,some would say just up there!Thought we started to really come into it in the second,with Sammy making a difference in that he actually is mobile and has a touch.Some decent wee inter plays,but didn't get the break of the ball when needed.Sheridan came on and won 3 headers in the last 10 minutes-3 more than Deuchar all first half,but that will go unnoticed.Accies are so low at time wasting and generally cheating,which is a real shame 'cause they played some decent stuff on the deck through a quick move and pass midfield.Noticed Del having a go at hamster puss Reid late on about their antics.

Edited by dave mc

Hilarious from Scotsman's match report:

"Deuchar did not emerge with his Saints team-mates due to concussion and was one of two half-time substitutions as Connolly also left the field and Collin Samuel and Steven Anderson came on. The changes reinvigorated the visitors somewhat, but they were unable to seriously test Cerny until just past the hour mark when Hamilton failed to deal with Gary Mackay's long ball and Liam Craig saw his shot turned behind."

...didn't know we'd signed the Hearts and Scotland veteran Gary McKay.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hamilton-1--0-St.6186113.jp

Hilarious from Scotsman's match report:

"Deuchar did not emerge with his Saints team-mates due to concussion and was one of two half-time substitutions as Connolly also left the field and Collin Samuel and Steven Anderson came on. The changes reinvigorated the visitors somewhat, but they were unable to seriously test Cerny until just past the hour mark when Hamilton failed to deal with Gary Mackay's long ball and Liam Craig saw his shot turned behind."

...didn't know we'd signed the Hearts and Scotland veteran Gary McKay.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hamilton-1--0-St.6186113.jp

I wouldn't thank you for him! :laugh:

It was blustery out there though, Hamilton were on form (one game lost in eight), Saints are not playing that great at the moment and I would personally like to see Sheridan and Deuchar together up front again like the Hibs game (good outlets and in the box) but injuries and games out have stopped that. Hamilton were the better team on the day. Next three games are hard but we can win one of them if we get back to our flowing best, hopefully Rangers.

I think I said this after our home game against Accies, but they are so anti-football it's unreal. Disappointing fact is we lost. They are simply playing survival football.

I thought we lacked any creativity or movement. Time and time again we had the ball in defence or midfield and no one moved to receive the ball. There were some comments earlier about Sammy being uninterested - are you kidding? He was the only gut willing to move into space and chase balls into corners. The quicker he is match sharp the better.

I was very surprised, but at the same time looking forward to seeing Connolly play. He looked ok on the ball but lost a few balls in the air and seemed to be askin Doobz who he should be marking at set pieces - not the best situation to be in.

My main gripe was that we seemed to be sucked into the way Hamilton were playing - high balls, knocked over the top. We are best when we get the ball on the deck and I think had we done this today, we would have gotten at least a draw from the game.

Oh, and Cerny is a time wasting d***.

Hopefully now some people will forget about this top six nonsense

You really need to take a deep breath before you post. It wasn't nonsense to suggest we might make the top 6. It's looking unlikely now but before the last couple of games we were probably favourites to take that slot.

You almost manage to be smug and negative at the same time.

Wherever we end up, it has been a privilege to watch Saints this season and I'm proud of our achievements.

Derek McInnes commented recently that we aren't good enough to win games at this level when we don't play to our best and today backed that up. At the same time, I think it's worth saying that it's up to the manager to set the team up in a manner that best allows us to play to our potential and he didn't do that yesterday. Maybe injuries are still playing their part but even if he wanted to match them in the middle of the park, what were we meant to do when we won possession, with Deuchar isolated up top on his own? I'm not convinced we're a good enough side to go away to Hamilton and dominate a match in the middle of the park, so surely - assuming you do want to win the match - you need to get two guys up front and try and get the supply into them however you can and if that's direct and earlier, so be it. What happened for much of the first half yesterday was we were getting the ball forward early but it was too a just returned from injury target man.

A Morris shot apart, I thought we contributed very little to the first half and Antoine-Curier had flashed a couple of headers wide before Wesolowski scored with a great little finish. Disappointing to lose a goal like that from an opposition goal kick as we should have been plenty organised. Don't think there could be any complaints with the score at the break.

Was little surprise to see changes at the interval but it was blow losing Deuchar as Morais isn't a striker for me. I'd have been tempted to hook either Millar or Davidson if Deuchar has been available to carry on and get Morais out wide. Davidson looks a million miles away from being fit and there is no question that Millar's form has dipped over the past few weeks. He'll always be a regular starter for this side but the whole point of having a squad is surely to be able to change things when someone is a little bit off the boil.

Getting the first goal against Accies is always crucial as they are masters at killing a game but if we just focus on ourselves then their antics don't become an issue. Instead the players (and fans) let it wind them up, which is exactly what Hamilton wanted. Bar a spate of corners, we barely did anything of note and certainly can't claim we merited anything from the match. Didn't really agree with Steve Cowan on the radio that it could have been four or five from them but a second maybe wouldn't have flattered the final outcome.

Of course there should have been more than three minutes of injury time but that seemed to be the final straw for the players and it was pretty saddening to see us collect three bookings in the space of as many minutes for just launching into Hamilton players. They probably took just as much satisfaction out of that as the result.

Behind all the gamesmanship, they are a decent side though with good players playing in a system their manager has worked on to get the best out of them. Alex Neil sits on top on the centre backs so he can get the ball under no pressure and spray passes around. McInnes watched them on Wednesday night so must've known that, yet we let him do it all afternoon. We saw in the second half he's not comfortable defending but we didn't ask questions of them all day. Morais got himself isolated against Mensing once and left him for dead yet again, you are left wondering why we didn't do that more often, instead perservering with Craig, who Mensing easily muscled off the ball all afternoon. Accies are all about energy in the middle of the park, so we play a (maybe not even) half-fit Davidson. Morris actually did remarkably well to compete as well as he did.

We defended alright but as an attacking threat we were non-existent and whilst some of that comes down to the opposition, the manager has to give us the best chance possible and not for the first time, he didn't do that IMO. I've constantly said he's a young manager learning the game but that excuse is running out and whilst I'd never claim anything close to knowing more than he does about any aspect of the game, I'm struggling to understand how he thought the way he set us up yesterday was the right way to go about things.

I'd love to see us finding a system that we're as comfortable with as the Hamilton players seem to be with theirs. I wouldn't like to see us go about certain aspects of the game as they do but then I don't want to see our players losing the plot as we did towards the end of the match either.

Nevermind, all will be well when we beat Rangers on Tuesday night.

How should we have matched up against Alex Neil or would a second striker have taken care of that?

I think it would have, yeah. Their goalkeeper wanted to throw it short every time he had possession but simply having two strikers there would have made it a lot harder. Folk talk about defending from the front but we weren't able to do that. They aren't really a huge team and if we'd forced the goalkeeper to kick from hand more often, you'd have fancied Davidson and the centre backs to deal with most things and then we could get in about winning the second balls.

As it was, they just rolled it out and Neil had the time to spray a sixty yard pass or they were up on halfway and in possession before we knew it.

Derek McInnes commented recently that we aren't good enough to win games at this level when we don't play to our best and today backed that up.

Getting the first goal against Accies is always crucial as they are masters at killing a game but if we just focus on ourselves then their antics don't become an issue. Instead the players (and fans) let it wind them up, which is exactly what Hamilton wanted.

Still feel a bit down about this game but always looking for a postive, Del's remarks are even more true of Hamilton. They are still behind us in the league, we have picked up the majority of points there in recent seasons, and I they don't have an easy run of games coming up either. Much to play for yet.

To go to Hamilton & play 1 up front is criminal. Del has to get his act together.

How many times has he played 1 up front & have we won any of them. He seems to go back to this system time & again.

I think he was looking downwards rather than up & didn`t want to lose this game.

The players are obviously not happy playing this formation or we don`t have the players to play it.

Sammy is the only one we have that could play up front on his own but he is not fit enough yet.

How many times has he played 1 up front & have we won any of them. He seems to go back to this system time & again.

Celtic 5-2 Saints (Samuel)

Hibs 3-0 Saints (Samuel)

Saints 1-2 Rangers (Samuel)

Killie 2-1 Saints (Samuel)

Rangers 3-0 Saints (Johansson)

Rangers 2-0 Saints (Sheridan)

Saints 1-1 Falkirk (Sheridan)

Hamilton 1-0 Saints (Deuchar)

Played 8, Won 0, Drawn 1, Lost 7, For 5, Against 19

Celtic 5-2 Saints (Samuel)

Hibs 3-0 Saints (Samuel)

Saints 1-2 Rangers (Samuel)

Killie 2-1 Saints (Samuel)

Rangers 3-0 Saints (Johansson)

Rangers 2-0 Saints (Sheridan)

Saints 1-1 Falkirk (Sheridan)

Hamilton 1-0 Saints (Deuchar)

Played 8, Won 0, Drawn 1, Lost 7, For 5, Against 19

It's not the system that's at fault,but the fact we don't have the suitable personnel to play it.Sammy up top is great,but the midfield have to be quick to support,and ours are often on their heels.Man Utd have played 4-5-1 regularly this season to great effect,but as said earlier,their midfield is excellent at getting forward really quickly to support Rooney.