Jean Rattray Deed

Watty

I wouldn't waste there time, he seems harmless but he is very disturbing!

"Go forward, go forward..." :lol: He's mad!!

That's what happens when you watch Saints it finally gets to you.

'Go Forward, Go Forward!' is something I hear a lot.

I was on a trans Atlantic jet once and was lying at ease in my seat when this guy shouted 'Get Offf me Get Off me!!!'

The Stewardess came along and said 'What's the matter dear?' to the startled guy. He replied 'There' a woman on top of me please please get her off'. A couple of us close by said 'Lucky you pal' :wink:

Seemingly it was a combination of alcohol, fear of flying and sleeping pills that had caused him to lose it. When the flight landed he appeared very reasonable and sane. :roll: It's just that some people are confused some or all the time for whatever reason. :(

That's what happens when you watch Saints it finally gets to you.

'Go Forward, Go Forward!' is something I hear a lot.

I was on a trans Atlantic jet once and was lying at ease in my seat when this guy shouted 'Get Offf me Get Off me!!!'

The Stewardess came along and said 'What's the matter dear?' to the startled guy. He replied 'There' a woman on top of me please please get her off'. A couple of us close by said 'Lucky you pal' :wink:

Seemingly it was a combination of alcohol, fear of flying and sleeping pills that had caused him to lose it. When the flight landed he appeared very reasonable and sane. :roll: It's just that some people are confused some or all the time for whatever reason. :(

That's just what happens to me in the tannoy box which is why I get things wrong sometimes...... :oops:

• 3 months later...
Guest Nairn Saint

I really miss Perth. I had no idea who Jean Rattery was until I found this thread. I have spent the last half hour or so reading through these posts and fondly remembering some of the characters that brightened up the place. Thanks for the memories......

Guest Nairn Saint

When I first moved up North I heared about a local worthy who went by the name of Granville Patterson. Granville was an unpleasant homeless character who wandered the streets of Inverness in a tatty old kilt grunting at locals and tourists alike.

He would ask strangers for change and if he was refused he would lift his kilt and flash whilst uttering a stream of obscenities.

He developed a scam of throwing himself in front of tourist buses in the Highland capital and made a fairly comfortable living from the whip-round that the tourists invariably had for the "unfortunate accident victim".

A friend once told me that he had first heared of the redoutable gentleman when he was asked to defend him at the local courthouse the day he arrived in Inverness as a young solicitor from Edinburgh. Granville had a strange penchant for having sexual relations with a variety of domestic animals which often led to his incarceration. My friend told me how horrified he was at this introduction to the Highlands.

The local police were used to his rather strange sexual preferences and, story has it, that often a straw bale would be thrown into his cell on the basis that if it was good enough for his "girlfriend", then it was good enough for him.

Strangely, there is a link of sorts to our beloved St Johnstone FC in this tale. Just prior to the 1974 world cup finals the late Willie Ormand and the late Billy Bremner were staying at Stoneyfield House on the outskirts of town when the householder discovered Granville being overly familiar with his daughter's pony. Willie, being the gentleman he was, would not believe what had happened and helped the householder physically restrain Billy Bremner who was all for dismembering Granville with his bare hands!

I don't know if it's the same guy but I knew a guy that wandered around the Inverness bar scene who wore the original tartan dress, not the modern kilt but the whole tartan and wrapped over one shoulder. This clothing made sense in the days pre 1800 without all the amenities that we have today since factually if you were stuck in the middle of winter and in the middle of a moor on your travels in the freezing cold all you had to do was soak (yes soak) the garment and you could go to sleep in it in the wild keeping your body temperature normal. true.

That guy was a character, it didn't matter what bar he went in (Heathmounnt, Corey Garth, Pheonix, the Gellons etc.) he would walki in like that and all the tourists split to make way for him. :lol: We reckoned he was getting paid by the Tourist Board but he seemed to like us. He once asked 'Are you chatting her up' and to save the girl or get in there myself I just said 'yeah I'm goin out wi her'. :lol: and he'd reply 'you wanting a whisky then, get you in the mood?' :)

I was in the Pheonic bar one night after work with a mate and this dog started to give birth to puppies and for everyone that came out the bar owner/manager said 'Drinks all round!' Mental, I only went in for a quiet after work drink. We ended up cheering each one out and to be honest hoped for another one each time. Then when that had ended that guiy in the full highland dress came in and said 'What the feck I've lost out here'. He wasn't happy. :)

Patrick & Fiona - Heathmount. :wink:

Guest Nairn Saint

Hey Ronaldo you sound well connected in these parts. I had better watch what I'm saying. I could write a book about Fiona and Patrick at the Heathmount! What a pair of characters. Shame he ran away with a boyfriend (allegedly).

Hey Ronaldo you sound well connected in these parts. I had better watch what I'm saying. I could write a book about Fiona and Patrick at the Heathmount! What a pair of characters. Shame he ran away with a boyfriend (allegedly).

Exactly. :)

I thought if you went drinking there you'd know that.

They're both really nice people. I lived 60 yard from that area in Kingsmills Road. I had access to the kingsmills Hotel, Corey Garth, Beaufort hotel, Crown Hotel, the Heathmount and the town centre within a small walk. I worked up there for nine years - great place, lots to do. Might go back up for a visit soon.

Guest Nairn Saint

Exactly. :)

I thought if you went drinking there you'd know that.

They're both really nice people. I lived 60 yard from that area in Kingsmills Road. I had access to the kingsmills Hotel, Corey Garth, Beaufort hotel, Crown Hotel, the Heathmount and the town centre within a small walk. I worked up there for nine years - great place, lots to do. Might go back up for a visit soon.

Beer's on me!

So he's not deid after all then...

I met Mad Max oustide the local shop on saturday am as I went in for a bottle of bru before the Scotland game... "Alright mate... you off to the Scotland game?" I was kilted up! "Aye." "Is it Saturday already??" "Aye!" "What time is it?" "8.30am" "Oh that's why the drink section is closed!" "Er... aye... see you later!"

He's fine!

I met Mad Max oustide the local shop on saturday am as I went in for a bottle of bru before the Scotland game... "Alright mate... you off to the Scotland game?" I was kilted up! "Aye." "Is it Saturday already??" "Aye!" "What time is it?" "8.30am" "Oh that's why the drink section is closed!" "Er... aye... see you later!"

He's fine!

Quality

"Oh that's why the drink section is closed!"

I'm not being funny here and I don't want to take it off-topic long and of course it does relate to Jeannie & Max in a way but what exactly are the off licensing laws or hours of purchase? In Spain and Holland it is midnight to midnight. I think that's quite reasonable. England used to be worse than ours.

Guest Nairn Saint

I'm not being funny here and I don't want to take it off-topic long and of course it does relate to Jeannie & Max in a way but what exactly are the off licensing laws or hours of purchase? In Spain and Holland it is midnight to midday. I think that's quite reasonable. England used to be worse than ours.

Does anyone remember the seldom sober husband and wife team that ran the off license on Glasgow Road (which is now sadly vacant). You could buy drink in there anytime. Before the law changed regarding selling drink on a Sunday, I used to wander in there and get a bottle or two on the strict understanding "that I didn't tell anyone". On the way to and from the shop you saw a variety of characters furtively avoiding eye contact as they made their way home with their illicit haul.

Does anyone remember the seldom sober husband and wife team that ran the off license on Glasgow Road .

i do they were nuts.you would just walk in the shop and they would be shouting obscenities at you like 'your gutter trash' etc locking people in or not serving people.totally handstands they were :lol::lol:

i do they were nuts.you would just walk in the shop and they would be shouting obscenities at you like 'your gutter trash' etc locking people in or not serving people.totally handstands they were :lol::lol:

I liked them if only for the fact I had my 19th birthday on a Sunday and I told them I'd had a few gifts and been out for a meal but that's it for anoher year and then they just handed me a bottle of wine from them. 8)

I liked them if only for the fact I had my 19th birthday on a Sunday and I told them I'd had a few gifts and been out for a meal but that's it for anoher year and then they just handed me a bottle of wine from them. 8)

Do you know that that couple used to take on as employees many youngsters who had behavioural problems and did it as a social responsibility?

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Trolly-man (the old man with the trolly) lives underneath the old bridge, on the city side... not seen him for some time though.

!

isn't he always pottering about in tesco ?

anyone remember these two ?

1.The man who seems to be in a worl of his own and wonders round with his hands in his pocket . he's got a black beard , leather jacket and usually hangs around bridgend and the town .

2.The lassie with the short blonde hair who always seems to be crying and growls at you if you look her in the eye . i mind seeing her crying i the soup section of farmfoods

Edited by YELLOW ARMY