#09 - 02/10/10 - St.Johnstone 2-0 Hibs - SPL

Fan - fecking - tastic. Absolutely chuffed with this win, despite Hibs being Colin Nish (see what I did there :wink:) .

Great subs by Del boy, and despite JMW being anonymous for 80% of his game, and crap for 10%, I thought he did show more potential where he can actually beat a man. Wouldn't start him v ICT though, Liam is a definite starter, what a header.

Made my weekend so much better :D

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best performance of the season. comfortable win and limited hibs to speculative efforts.

thought parkin was alright, needs to dish out what he receives though, thought he was over powered today too easily, decent shift but can be a bit lazy at times.

sammy done alright in the 1st half but was anonymous in the 2nd.

grainger and maybury were fantastic today, both got up the line and supported well in attack and both made some crucial interventions and did well under pressure. grainger fired in some really good crosses with only 1 or 2 poor today.

thought muzz and jody had good games today, muzz is improving gradually every week and put in some hefty tackles the day and was unlucky to be under the ball with a chance in the 1st half.

dont know what to make of jmw, can ghost passed players and lose the ball just as easily, unlucky with an effort in the 2nd.

millar done well enough, got forward well but struggled to put in good crosses.

jacko had a good game when he came on, runs the channels really well and can find pockets of space to take the ball, control was excellent and should start the next game.

liam got the all important 1st goal and it was an excellent header and was unlucky with 1 minutes before it, drifts into the middle alot which is ok when the ball is on the right hand side but think we would be better if he stuck more to the left when on that side.

haber done well and scored a typical 'haber' goal, won headers and linked well with jacko again.

doobs and mackay were solid enough today with only 1 or 2 dodgy moments at the back.

Here goes nothing....

Not impressed today. Thought it was a workman like win against a team who simply can't win and never really looked like scoring. Very similar to the dross we played after St Mirren scored against us.

Del - wrong team, little shape - recovered a wee bit by subbing the two worst players

Enckleman - looked shaky again. Two howlers in as many minutes in the second half. He put Cup Tie in huge trouble by refusing to give a shout. Time to speak up!

Maybury - Brilliant performance. Lots of slagging and doubt when he arrived, but I told you he'd be good.

Grainger - Good solid performance as we've come to expect. I wonder where the clowns are that said he wasn't good enough after the game v the Arabs last year. His dead balls were generally chronic though and he must work harder on his delivery.

Duberry - got lucky today. Gambling often, he didn't look confident and he's allowing smaller and much lighter players to jockey him around which he didn't last season. Odd situation.

Mackay - edging back to the real Dave Mackay. Goalie nearly landed him in bother in the second half, but his composure and awareness won through.

Morris - Still looks somewhat restricted but a much better game than Tannadice. Captained the boys very well

Muzz - Didn't see any improvement at all. Massively disappointed by the kid, again.

Midgie - Telling balls were missing from his play and twice he crossed from the Gary Irvine position whern he had acres of space to drive into and Maybury covering behind. Massive effort and energy, though and ball retention was back to his best.

JMW - Played his first ever cross for us when he saw Liam stripped. Utter wallopper.

Parkin - Great performance - hopefully a few of the clowns on here will start a thread of apology.....

Sammy - Not as bad as the groans suggested but he hasn't merited a start and Jacko didn't deserve to be drop.

Jacko - Still hasn't re-discovered his top form but he's getting there. Deserves a start.

Haber - Best player at the club, criminal that he doesn't start. Did anyone doubt that he'd score. I'm as confident with him in a one v one as I was with Jacko and Scotland in their prime.

Craig - Invaluable player, clearly not fit, great performance under the circumstances.

Here goes nothing....

Enckleman - looked shaky again. Two howlers in as many minutes in the second half. He put Cup Tie in huge trouble by refusing to give a shout. Time to speak up!

He doesn't look right but I thought he looked more confident than he has done before. I still can't work out though if he is low on confidence or in the huff that he has ended up at Saints. Showed more emotion after the goal and at the end of the match than he has in the rest of the time he's been here though, hopefully a good sign.

Good 3 point today, Great performances by Morris, Millar and Parkin today. Criag and haber also excellnt when they came on. Hibs are honking but still they brough a very healthy support, how many clubs would bring that with so much unrest??

JMW does not look that great and was lost for me in the game and was rightly subbed, I'll given the boy a chance but cant see him doing much at McD

He doesn't look right but I thought he looked more confident than he has done before. I still can't work out though if he is low on confidence or in the huff that he has ended up at Saints. Showed more emotion after the goal and at the end of the match than he has in the rest of the time he's been here though, hopefully a good sign.

He's only been a first choice in his homeland - he's really never been first choice keeper at any club in the UK. I'm a bit more simplistic than you, I think he's massively over-rated.

Here goes nothing....

Not impressed today. Thought it was a workman like win against a team who simply can't win and never really looked like scoring. Very similar to the dross we played after St Mirren scored against us.

cheer up you grumpy git. it was a good 3 points for saints. they are finally taking steps in the right direction. yes it was workman like and there is a way to go but at least it is heading the right way.

i thought samuel was poor today (why start him in front of haber?) and myrie-williams just seems to look permanently lost.

just my tuppence worth:mrgreen:

i missed them aswell then, including the dives.

so it wasnt a perfect performance but it was a helluva lot better than last weeks ref.

D dived in front of the 18 yard box at the scoreboard and Rankin (I think it was him) went down in front of Yogi.

Blatant hand ball on 30-35 minutes and massive shirt pull on Parkin shortly after. His shoulder was on display!

Very happy this evening, first half was a bit of a struggle but we stepped it up in the 2nd and commanded the game. I beleive i predicted a win by a couple of goals and that Parkin would score. So not far off at all.

Not going to throw any negatives into the mix, just happy to be moving on up the league and putting in good shifts.

Jody is a genius, what a player

[cheer up you grumpy git. it was a good 3 points for saints. they are finally taking steps in the right direction. yes it was workman like and there is a way to go but at least it is heading the right way.

I'm not unhappy - I just hate the hysteria of folkies on this forum. We've had a poor start to the campaign and a scrappy win against a team as poor as Hibs is no reason to celebrate.

ICT will be a massive test then I think we play your beloved tattie munchers twice in a few days. Play like today and we'll take nothing from those games. We won't of course, but I see no reason to be happy with that team performance.

I'm not unhappy - I just hate the hysteria of folkies on this forum. We've had a poor start to the campaign and a scrappy win against a team as poor as Hibs is no reason to celebrate.

ICT will be a massive test then I think we play your beloved tattie munchers twice in a few days. Play like today and we'll take nothing from those games. We won't of course, but I see no reason to be happy with that team performance.

Only 3 points between Saints and ICT but from what I have seen of them on TV this season I think a draw will be a good result (based on saints performances so far this season). I unfortunately don't see saint's pulling off a win against Celtic in either the Cup or the League game but here's hoping

D dived in front of the 18 yard box at the scoreboard and Rankin (I think it was him) went down in front of Yogi.

Blatant hand ball on 30-35 minutes and massive shirt pull on Parkin shortly after. His shoulder was on display!

i sit at the ormond end of the east stand, easily missed from there.

do you not agree that it was a much better performance than last week though?

I'd take a draw up at Inverness right now, deal?

Celtic, we shouldn't expect anything, they need to have a major off day for us to realisticly have a chance. Cup game is probably the one we will do better in.

I understand where you're coming from, but i saw a big improvment on our previous games today and would expect us to continue to improve.

You are however spot on about JMW, he is garbage. Although he has my full support and i will happily let him prove me wrong.

i sit at the ormond end of the east stand, easily missed from there.

do you not agree that it was a much better performance than last week though?

Not really. Two missed penalties is a big deal. Remember, for all the hissy fits, we were crap and the Arabs deserved the win. Not sure how many mistakes Winters made but Goodwillie is a very good actor.

What happened today 101 did one of the wee lassies on the refreshment kiosk knoock you back again!!!

Very happy with todays performance and think you are being ultra critical. We won we should have scored more but you have to make the chances in the first place. Well done Saints!!

I'd take a draw up at Inverness right now, deal?

Deal!

I understand where you're coming from, but i saw a big improvment on our previous games today and would expect us to continue to improve.

I didn't see any real improvement in comparison to St Mirren or Queen of the South.

You are however spot on about JMW, he is garbage. Although he has my full support and i will happily let him prove me wrong.

Aye, but I thought he wis gonnae be a cracking signing:roll:

Not really. Two missed penalties is a big deal. Remember, for all the hissy fits, we were crap and the Arabs deserved the win. Not sure how many mistakes Winters made but Goodwillie is a very good actor.

well so far you are the only 1 that has noted these penalty claims. if they were stone wall clear as day penalties then fair enough.

whats us being crap and the arabs deserving to win got anything to do about it?

todays ref allowed the game to flow when another ref could of easily made it very stop start, he allowed advantage to be played near enough every time and wasnt quick to flash yellows unlike last weeks abomination.

imo much improved.

Here goes nothing....

Del - wrong team, little shape - recovered a wee bit by subbing the two worst players

Maybury - Brilliant performance. Lots of slagging and doubt when he arrived, but I told you he'd be good.

Grainger - Good solid performance as we've come to expect. I wonder where the clowns are that said he wasn't good enough after the game v the Arabs last year. His dead balls were generally chronic though and he must work harder on his delivery.

Duberry - got lucky today. Gambling often, he didn't look confident and he's allowing smaller and much lighter players to jockey him around which he didn't last season. Odd situation.

Mackay - edging back to the real Dave Mackay. Goalie nearly landed him in bother in the second half, but his composure and awareness won through.

Morris - Still looks somewhat restricted but a much better game than Tannadice. Captained the boys very well

Muzz - Didn't see any improvement at all. Massively disappointed by the kid, again.

Midgie - Telling balls were missing from his play and twice he crossed from the Gary Irvine position whern he had acres of space to drive into and Maybury covering behind. Massive effort and energy, though and ball retention was back to his best.

JMW - Played his first ever cross for us when he saw Liam stripped. Utter wallopper.

Parkin - Great performance - hopefully a few of the clowns on here will start a thread of apology.....

Sammy - Not as bad as the groans suggested but he hasn't merited a start and Jacko didn't deserve to be drop.

Jacko - Still hasn't re-discovered his top form but he's getting there. Deserves a start.

Haber - Best player at the club, criminal that he doesn't start. Did anyone doubt that he'd score. I'm as confident with him in a one v one as I was with Jacko and Scotland in their prime.

Craig - Invaluable player, clearly not fit, great performance under the circumstances.

So your not impressed but you have possitive things to say about 9 of the 14 players ? As for those you couldnt find a plus point for ..

Enckleman - Clean sheet. All be it the first of the season but i wouldn't say he looked shaky, all i would say is he needs to comand the area more.

Duberry - Marked riorden out the game today and despite a few less than convincing clearences, suggesting he was lucky suggests his consistancy over the past year has also been down to luck.

Muzz - Didn't have his best game in possesion, however, he worked as hard as any player on the pitch as he does every week.

I have to agree with you with respect to the fact the JMW was poor today , however , he is a flare player and has potential (though he has yet to display it) to give us a cutting edge and is therefor still worth a gamble considering we have not looked threatening all season. The same can be said for Sammy although he is beginning to frustrate me with his lack of productivity.

Del for me named the correct team (without hindsight) and made the correct changes at the correct times .... both substitutes scored ..

I apologise if were talking about different games

That the first time at a league game, since the first day of the season that I can say I really enjoyed the game today.

Not too much to say about the first half other than we should have had a penalty when Parkin's shirt was just about ripped off his back by a Hibs player.

Up to the point when JMW was subbed we would have been as well playing with 10 men, why try and beat a man 3 times when you can whip in a cross! I am sure he will get better or he will go the way of Taylor who appears to have fallen out of the squad all together.

I was delighted with the midfield today, Morris and Millar were in control and no doubt enjoyed their day. I also agree with many above that Parkin had his best day thus far in a Saints shirt. I was glad to see McInnes had the guts to take him off when he was done, I was beginning to think he was beyond ever been subbed.

As much as I would like to see Marcus playing every week it could be that he is more of an impact player, comes on and runs at players when they are tired, wins headers and scores. Yea I'd love to see 90 minutes of that but thats the managers call. I will just keep bringing the maple leaf for the back of the East stand in the hope he keeps getting more goals.

I am glad I am not a Hibs fan as they were as bad as St Mirren. With the big away support the total attendance was only 3819 meaning there were only around 2300 home fans paying to get in today.