#12 - 27/10/10 - Saints 2-3 Celtic - League Cup

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add - I'm not having a pop at Del there. There is nothing wrong with trying something new, however when it doesn't work you learn from it and move on.

There is!!

How often does a manager messing around with his formation actually work??

I read the drivel above but the likes of O'Shea and Clubfoot regularly play in different positions. Both have the flexibility of almost covering the whole of defence and midfield.

Grainger is not a left midfielder, Maybury is not a left back.

We were opened up constantly down our left side for the first 20 mins. The reason we were seeing the individual errors that caused the goals is because these guys were all being played in positions they weren't comfortable with, the defence was a shambles and that wasn't down to the guys on the park.

i am not mis-interpeting anything i know exactly what he was saying and so do you, the fact you justify it is also a tad worrying

Not at all. I just know what he's like.

101 has a shit grasp of the English language.

See his Sheerin is a waster thread, Enduring Del thread etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

maybury and smith had bad start to the game last and got themselves together nothin to do with positions or tactics a pro player should be able to clear a ball and know when to play offside no matter his position on the field cant blame the manager for that

I don't agree. So if he put Duberry up front and he missed an open goal that's ok? Or Smith down the right wing? Or Davidson central defence? I agree Maybury should be ok at left back but when up against the best attacking team in the league you play your best players in their best positions.

Not at all. I just know what he's like.

101 has a shit grasp of the English language.

See his Sheerin is a waster thread, Enduring Del thread etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

does not change the fact that it is wrong ,to much has been let go in the past that has brought you to think that its ok for him to call someone a handicap or a waister,

does not change the fact that it is wrong ,to much has been let go in the past that has brought you to think that its ok for him to call someone a handicap or a waister,

No I don't think it's okay, I haven't once said it was. He says things all the time that he doesn't mean. Anyway this isn't the thread to bitch about him on.

Mon the Saints and please don't tinker with the defence on Saturday Del.

Why is it so acceptable for some to criticise the manager and rant at individuals whilst failing to acknowledge the collective faults of the players? That was pretty much the strongest team we have, everyone had at least some (all-be-it minimal) experience in the position they were playing in yet we defended like a (poor) pub team for the first half hour. Del can't legislate for that.

I don't agree. So if he put Duberry up front and he missed an open goal that's ok? Or Smith down the right wing? Or Davidson central defence? I agree Maybury should be ok at left back but when up against the best attacking team in the league you play your best players in their best positions.

fair enough silly logic but clearing a ball and playing offside are something any full back should be able to deal with esp maybury who has played left back loads.for me the only mistake del made was thinkin they are a better side than they are in sayin that they still had chances on the break which i think was his reason for tinkering in the first place

Can anyone clarify what the formation was?

The BBC displayed it as three at the back with wing backs on the right and left with three in the middle and two up top.

I never had a chance to figure it out as my palm was covering my face for the first 13 minutes.

We had 4 at the back. the positions at the kick off and goals kicks show this. I think we were just the much in a muddle it was impossible to tell

There is!!

How often does a manager messing around with his formation actually work??

I read the drivel above but the likes of O'Shea and Clubfoot regularly play in different positions. Both have the flexibility of almost covering the whole of defence and midfield.

Grainger is not a left midfielder, Maybury is not a left back.

We were opened up constantly down our left side for the first 20 mins. The reason we were seeing the individual errors that caused the goals is because these guys were all being played in positions they weren't comfortable with, the defence was a shambles and that wasn't down to the guys on the park.

Injuries forced us to play this way at Ibrox. As well as it bringing us a goal, we completely shut the door on them down (our) the left flank.

Look at the Rangers Match analyis and the reports on how we set out. Many agreed it was near perfect against Rangers, so why should we not of had full faith pre-match last night??

Injuries forced us to play this way at Ibrox. As well as it bringing us a goal, we completely shut the door on them down (our) the left flank.

Look at the Rangers Match analyis and the reports on how we set out. Many agreed it was near perfect against Rangers, so why should we not of had full faith pre-match last night??

I missed Ibrox as I was in Dublin, not even seen Danny's goal!!

Honestly? All this 101 bashing is embarassing. Let him have his soapbox. Gordon knows his football better than most of us. Face it, 99% of football fans know **** all about football but Gordon isn't one of them. Our tactics were responsible for shipping three goals. Brian Clough, widely regarded as knowing a wee bit about football, said something very interesting.

"Football is not about players, well, it's not all about players. It is about shape and space, and the movement of players within that space", or words to that effect. We cannot operate with 5 in the middle of the park. In fact I don't think we've gotten even a single point in the SPL doing so. Derek made a few schoolboy errors last night - Grainger in midfield and Maybury at LB, mistaking Myrie-Williams for a footballer, and starting Samuel.

A manager's job is to pick a team and drill into them tactics, organization and motivation. Samuel was clearly lacking motivation, he put the wrong players in the wrong places, and we defended like schoolboys the first 15 minutes. Saying "Del is young and will learn" every game does not make it any more likely. It's like a Hibs fan saying "this is our year" for the Scottiish cup. It's entirely possible but laughably unlikely.

I think you are mis-interpreting what he means. He's basically saying he is too thick to pick the right formation.

That IS offensive HSF, as the parent of a lassie with a handicap I find your phraseology obscene!! Using the word handicapped to mean thick is simply not acceptable!!

For me, the team didn't look comfortable with the change to the back line and formation during the first half and the first 15 for obvious reasons. Defensive errors also played a big part and gave them a mountain to climb.

We looked much more comfortable after the break with players in the positions they have been used to, although really Celtic should have scored a couple in the second half.

Very good fight back, Davidson playing one of his best games in awhile. Thought JMW did quite well and was willing to pass the ball, which he hasn't done a lot since coming here. Very unlucky with his shot near the end.

I didn't think the conditions played much of a part against us, seemed to me that we played better when it was pissing down.

Its difficult to tell how much Celtic took their foot of the pedal once they went the three up, but it should give us hope for Sat....as long as we get at them and don't give them the space we did in the first 15.

Why is it so acceptable for some to criticise the manager and rant at individuals whilst failing to acknowledge the collective faults of the players? That was pretty much the strongest team we have, everyone had at least some (all-be-it minimal) experience in the position they were playing in yet we defended like a (poor) pub team for the first half hour. Del can't legislate for that.

I think there are two many people who think that 'the buck stops with the manager' is the same as saying 'the manager is to blame for everything'. Of course, a manager has to take responsibility for results and when things arent going well, a manager has to accept that they may be the one to get punted - it doesnt matter if he has had loads of players with injuries, etc etc, the manager is responsible.

However, being the one that ultimately takes responsibility, doesnt mean that everything that goes wrong is the manager's fault. If you really want to understand what led to a result, then you need to look at everything - including the performance of individual players and how well they worked together as a team.

I would expect that when looking back on last night's game, Del may well be thinking that he got some things wrong - maybe playing Grainger in left midfield wasnt the best move. However, I think that the players will be blaming themselves rather then the tactics - they know that they didnt do the job that was expected of them.

That IS offensive HSF, as the parent of a lassie with a handicap I find your phraseology obscene!! Using the word handicapped to mean thick is simply not acceptable!!

I don't see the issue with the word handicapped. There are far worse words out there. Christ, we're getting to the stage where people might find the use of word thick, equally unacceptable.

It was the worst game I've ever watched at McDairmid. I've never ever sat in the park and for the full game felt it was unwinnable. Well done, Del.

Really can't believe you mean half the things you write nor understand why you write half the things you do!!

Last night was a fantastic game, apart from 6 minutes at the start of the first half!! To see Saints fight back from that position was unbelievable and really raises belief in the team too. I work with a load of Centic fans and they are all saying the same thing, they were lucky to get a win!! The pressure we piled on after the first 15 minutes was unbelievable and the shots we rained on goals was one of our highest I think!! Talk about players playing for the badge, what we saw last night was them doing just that and I know how gutted several of them are as I have already had texts from them!!

I think it is about time you got your brain together and actually came out and supported the team instead of this constant drivellous and pathetic series of put downs. I am really disappointed at your attitude as I thought you would have grown out of that by now.......

I don't see the issue with the word handicapped. There are far worse words out there. Christ, we're getting to the stage where people might find the use of word thick, equally unacceptable.

It is the conotation ryan, maybe I am just a bit touchy about it as I am sure you would be too in the same situation

Honestly? All this 101 bashing is embarassing. Let him have his soapbox. Gordon knows his football better than most of us. Face it, 99% of football fans know **** all about football but Gordon isn't one of them. Our tactics were responsible for shipping three goals.

A manager's job is to pick a team and drill into them tactics, organization and motivation. Samuel was clearly lacking motivation, he put the wrong players in the wrong places, and we defended like schoolboys the first 15 minutes. Saying "Del is young and will learn" every game does not make it any more likely. It's like a Hibs fan saying "this is our year" for the Scottiish cup. It's entirely possible but laughably unlikely.

The only thing that's embarassing is how far up his arse you are. And that is quite possibly the worst comparison I have seen on this site.