Saintees Defence

Saintcraig

Sorry everyone but this has been eating away at me for some time now.

Is it just me or are we really poor defensively?

Going from having such a solid defence in SFL1 to what we lost last season (although we scored last season too), to what has happened these last few weeks... so depressing!

I rate the guys we have as individual footballers and I like to think I am a realist but honestly we are leaking goals so badly that if it doesnt get sorted out soon we could be in real trouble!

I'm just interested in where you guys think its all been going wrong i.e. goalkeeping, poor tracking from midfield, individual errors, bad luck or what?

As a Saints fan for 20 odd years its getting a bit depressing cause I cannot fault the effort and I know we've had some injuries but is that a valid reason?

Is it just simply that the players we have are not good enough and we need to get new personnel in January? If so then who do you realistically suggest? :sad:

We need a settled back 4.

preferrably:

Maybury-Doobs-Dave-Grainger.

Unfortunately due to a combination of injuries and del's tinkering this has not happened. To make matters worse, even the keeper's jersey has went back and forth.

The players are good enough. Duberry settled a shaky defence when he joined last term, now all we need is the continuity

Interestingly I think you may have something there StDuncM. He is immense as an individual defender but I have questioned his positioning on a lot of occasions, particularly at set pieces.

As for Rusty, his time is up. He struggles to kick the ball upfield, keeping it in play. Maybe he should stick to his music. Shame though cause he was a good servant for the 2 seasons he's been fit!

The problem is a midfield that sits too far ahead of the defense, at times there was a chasm between our centre midfield and our back four. This just gives the opposition time and space to run in to and find passes, or run straight at the defense, as happened a few times today. Any player with good pace and a decent finish would have torn us apart today. Either the defense needs to hold a higher line (bad plan) or the midfield need to work harder on tracking back and pressing the ball and the player in possesion, or at least force them wide. Time and again their right winger was in miles of space down our left and but for some comical finishing we'd have been chundered.

Why not point the finger? It's just opinions isnt it? I wasnt at the game but I saw it on Alba. I must say that as much as rate Graingers work ethic on the park, his defending does leave a bit to be desired and to be quite frank I think Maybury is mediocre at best.

Then again, there's only so much you can on the tv. So what's the opinion from those that were there? Looks like Enckleman had another 'mare as well!

OK, I thought Danny was very poor today. His defending was edge of the seat stuff, and not in a good way....

You normally get a threat going forward but his delivery was very poor. Hope he captures his form.

I think he was reluctant at getting too close to whoever he was marking on his side after getting annihilated by humphreys at motherwell. Was always backing off his man. IIRC that is :)

There was an absolute comical moment in the 1st half down his side where we continually gave aberdeen the ball back, dont know who was involved though.

Why not point the finger? It's just opinions isnt it? I wasnt at the game but I saw it on Alba. I must say that as much as rate Graingers work ethic on the park, his defending does leave a bit to be desired and to be quite frank I think Maybury is mediocre at best.

Then again, there's only so much you can on the tv. So what's the opinion from those that were there? Looks like Enckleman had another 'mare as well!

Maybury sure looks lazy on occassions,but then next he is battling away could be an age thing