#20 - 26/12/10 - Celtic 2-0 Saints - SPL

I think Saintee Sean went a bid overboard. McInnes was quite right when he said "We're not there to please the Celtic punters". You hear them coming on phone-in programmes and talk about wee teams (often diddy teams) coming to Parkhead and playing defensive. However they should know from history that many lesser resourced teams go away from home and get behind the ball just like smaller resourced and supported Celtic did against giants Barcelona in 2004 and 2008. They got a 0-0 draw and a 1-0 defeats in the Nou Camp but opened up at home and got gubbed 3-1 and 3-2 in front of their own fans. Teams do that, even Celtic, because they have to.

I still think Saints played well defensively and were unlucky and were much improved at cutting out the cross balls and diagonal balls and it would have been better if one of our forwards had held the ball up awaiting support.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Celtic had scored there goals in the first 2 minutes instead of the last 2 minutes would we still have deserved at least a draw, because we played well for the next 88 minutes?

.... but they didn't, it was 0-0 after 90 minutes. Surely some credit should be given for that against as you say a bigger club with better players. If Celtic were drawing 0-0 with Man. Itd. or Inter milan after 90 minutes they might think they were unlucky if they lost a goal and then opened up and attacked losing another.

.... but they didn't, it was 0-0 after 90 minutes. Surely some credit should be given for that against as you say a bigger club with better players. If Celtic were drawing 0-0 with Man. Itd. or Inter milan after 90 minutes they might think they were unlucky if they lost a goal and then opened up and attacked losing another.

Football lasts until the final whistle though and if you can't keep a clean sheet or score a goal in that time and the other team do then that is the team that deserves the points.

Football lasts until the final whistle though and if you can't keep a clean sheet or score a goal in that time and the other team do then that is the team that deserves the points.

Yes Celtic deserved to win finally but I thought we were talking as Saints supporters and our relative performance compared to other games against them. So what would you have done with clearly a less resourced club, lesser money/icome, less fans both domestic and worldwide e.g. from Derry/Dublin/Boston? Just as Celtic were less resourced against Barcelona and they got beat 1-0 there last time they were close to getting a valuable point and so got credit against one of biggest and wealthiest clubs in the world who probably have an equal amount of fans in Derry/Dublin/Boston but also elsewhere. They did the same thing as us when they went to Barcelona and got beat 1-0 and the Barcelona fans were bored to f*ck. You can't just have a league setup that gives two monopoly sides all the wealth and blame the other sides for not winning but getting close with a decent performance.

In fact you've got to say the OF aren't as good as they should be with all their relative wealth if they can't beat a small club like Saints well within the 90 minutes. Celtic aren't good enough.

Edited by Ronaldo

I thought Saints defended well and on that basis might have deserved something from the game. Thats the first time in ages I've not been waiting for the avalanche to start when we have played at Celtic park. Everyone sees things differently and are entitled to their opinion the only thing that worries me slightly about Seans arguement is, would he be saying the same thing if it had happened at Ibrox and if not that would be sad.

Sean: Well done, one poster has finally crumbled and admitted that the team who dominated and scored deserved to win. Don't thold your breath, the rest of them will highlight our ability to stop very poor wide players putting in cross balls...

Hannah: You're getting more and more like your stalker. You coming up for the Rangers game?

Del: Well done, big man! Tactics were spot on for that game. Harsh on Cleve to be withdrawn but Mayzo is a wee man with a big future.

JMW: Whoever sold you those boots saw you coming

Jody: Hope you feel ashamed, nicking yer wee boys Parka jacket:laugh:

Yes Celtic deserved to win finally but I thought we were talking as Saints supporters and our relative performance compared to other games against them. So what would you have done with clearly a less resourced club, lesser money/icome, less fans both domestic and worldwide e.g. from Derry/Dublin/Boston? Just as Celtic were less resourced against Barcelona and they got beat 1-0 there last time they were close to getting a valuable point and so got credit against one of biggest and wealthiest clubs in the world who probably have an equal amount of fans in Derry/Dublin/Boston but also elsewhere. They did the same thing as us when they went to Barcelona and got beat 1-0 and the Barcelona fans were bored to f*ck. You can't just have a league setup that gives two monopoly sides all the wealth and blame the other sides for not winning but getting close with a decent performance.

In fact you've got to say the OF aren't as good as they should be with all their relative wealth if they can't beat a small club like Saints well within the 90 minutes. Celtic aren't good enough.

I don't think a teams resources have anything to do with them deserving to win. You've went off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the point I am arguing.

All I am saying is the team that scores the most goals and the team that concedes the less is the team that deserves to win. It does NOT matter how well the losing team play, they deserve nothing.

p.s I am not going to Rangers game, working until 6, so won't have enough time to get to Perth.

I don't think a teams resources have anything to do with them deserving to win. You've went off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the point I am arguing.

All I am saying is the team that scores the most goals and the team that concedes the less is the team that deserves to win. It does NOT matter how well the losing team play, they deserve nothing.

p.s I am not going to Rangers game, working until 6, so won't have enough time to get to Perth.

It has everything to do with resourses. As Saints fans and those of other clubs know it's harder to win against the old firm, if it wasn't you'd have seen a non OF team would have won the SPL in the last 25 years.

Celtic were relatively poor consideing their resources and Saints were minutes away from a deserved draw. I don't think my point will make sense to an OF fan but their kinda deluded before they even think of a football match anyay. The last game I was at against Celtic we were well out of it in the first half. I accepot that we've had teams that could comfortably cope with Celtic in the past like the one that beat them three out of four times in the 98/99 season but yesterday was about an attempt at getting a result with some players missing and it was an improvement on last time. Celtic on the other hand had had three previous draws at home and were 0-0 with us at 90 minutes. Very poor for a club with seemingly two first teams. :)

Is this a Celtic forum ?

Who cares about Celtic

Agreed!

Our defense was superb. The work rate of the team was superb and in my opinion we were unlucky not to get a point.We did lack a creative outlet to take the pressure of the defense. Also we missed Jody for his passing and Muzz for his energy and tackling.

Bring on the ****!

Watched the game on a stream on tinternet. Don't know what happens to them when they play the beggars. I know they came back in the cup tie to make a game of it, but they didn't turn up 4 days later. They didn't turn up yesterday, barely putting up a whimper against what is a pretty s***e sellick team. Last season was the same, giving them 9 free points.

Yeah you're right and also apart from the resource arguement we'd lost 17 games out of the last 18 and the other was a draw at McD so we were going from a low base so I don't know where some of the people on this thread are coming from or if they'd seen a Saints vs. Celtic game recently. 0-0 at 90 minutes is an improvement and if McInnes can improve his attacking options we can maybe cause real problems next time. Sammy was quite good the last time at Parkhead but wasn't yesterday.

To blandly say that the team who scores the most goals deserves to win is naive in the extreme. The team that scores the most gets the points is true.

Away from this match I have been at many 0-0 draws where one team or the other deserved to win but did not. If you cannot praise Saints for not conceding in 90 mins on this forum without ridicule I despair. We dont all need to be happy clappy and find no fault with Saints but surely this is ONE place we can be sympathetic to our own.

C,mon the SAINTS

To blandly say that the team who scores the most goals deserves to win is naive in the extreme. The team that scores the most gets the points is true.

Away from this match I have been at many 0-0 draws where one team or the other deserved to win but did not. If you cannot praise Saints for not conceding in 90 mins on this forum without ridicule I despair. We dont all need to be happy clappy and find no fault with Saints but surely this is ONE place we can be sympathetic to our own.

C,mon the SAINTS

true

Dont know exactly but certainly less than 200, I'd guess around 150.

It was certainly sparse in our wee corner. I know it was boxing day and a £25 entrance so a lot of folk will have just not bothered with it but the atmosphere was ridiculously flat. It certainly wasn't very festive.

Now I know highlights don't show the whole match and can be bias but a shot on target? Did we have one? From those highlights we deserved absolutely nothing

Good defending? If that was good, wow, I wonder what people class as bad defending then. If McCourt, McGinn, Brown etc knew how to put their boot through the ball then they could have scored at least 5, it wasn't down to good defending.

p.s I'm not trying to be negative, it's just amazing how people view matches completely different.

Now I know highlights don't show the whole match and can be bias but a shot on target? Did we have one? From those highlights we deserved absolutely nothing

Good defending? If that was good, wow, I wonder what people class as bad defending then. If McCourt, McGinn, Brown etc knew how to put their boot through the ball then they could have scored at least 5, it wasn't down to good defending.

p.s I'm not trying to be negative, it's just amazing how people view matches completely different.

A shot on target did we have one? Yes we did.

Good defending? I watched the whole game on a stream and yes we did defend well.To restrict Celtic to six shots on target in 94 minutes, four in 90

minutes counts as good defending to me. Every report I have read of the game says we defended well, with Duberry and Anderson being picked out as star men.

Is that your wee pals fishing rod you are using??