auld shops

Wish i was Joe McGurn

Peter thompson the grocers branch shop

I mind that ane, used to buy kerry oots there when I wis a laddie, got served nae bother at 14, just stuffed my blazer in the hedge ootside. There was a driveway next door on the Glesgae Rd that led uphill to the place where I got my driving test.

Also somebody posted aboot Montague Burton, I think I got my first suit there for ma brothers wedding.

Montague Burton, aka Burtons, was on the opposite corner to HSamuel, the jewellers, where everyone used to congregate and scare the **** out of old lady's. Think it might have been fringe members of the Pack!

Anyway was there not an Andersons Sports shop in George Street which, eventually, became Ramseys Travel?

Montague Burton, aka Burtons, was on the opposite corner to HSamuel, the jewellers, where everyone used to congregate and scare the **** out of old lady's. Think it might have been fringe members of the Pack!

Anyway was there not an Andersons Sports shop in George Street which, eventually, became Ramseys Travel?

I used to meet my mates at the Scott St side of Burtons there wis an entrance that went up too the hooses above.

Auld Simon the bobby used to threaten to kick our erses if we didnea get oot tae the edge of the pavement, if you leaned against one of their big windeas you could make it bend in, next door there wis a chemists then Hamptons the newsagent the close where yours truly lived the Clydesdale bank next to that was the Wilson Church braw red stone building now replaced by the architechture of the poundsaver.

I dont know if yea wid call us a pack just a bunch of boys who couldnea get a willie McBride in a house of ill repute wie a 50 pound note and a doctors line.

Now 71:?

Peter thompson the grocers branch shop, their main shop used to in the High St there wi Montague Burton the tailors on the corner of Scott St and the High St ther was a close between Burtons and Peter Thompsons I think Currys wis next in PT space then Stewarts I think it wis called selt suitcases and leather goods then anither close then the Maypole grocers I am goin back a bit.

Oh and a couple of doors doon the one and only Glennie

If there is any more old farts jump in wie mair info

the maypole was next to the theatre . i worked there a couple years ago:wink:

the maypole was next to the theatre . i worked there a couple years ago:wink:
aye right:laugh: maybe I am mixed Up there wis defo a grocers on the Scott St side of the Glennie we used to go there for broken biscuits and take our emty jam jars back fur dosh

I believe Joe Andersons was in both locations. It was in George Street then moved to St John Street.
other way about it wis in St John St from when i wis a lad up till I left the Fair City. Location right where Willie Peat says, other sports shop of the same era Bob Crolls was in the High St the location was either in then George St end of Markies or next space down.

There was Garvie and Syme the ironmongers Bob Crolls a wee Italian cafe then the plus four brigades shop Frasers then the Skinnergate. The cafe was called Mannotinnis

Edited by john.w
memory surge

other way about it wis in St John St from when i wis a lad up till I left the Fair City. Location right where Willie Peat says, other sports shop of the same era Bob Crolls was in the High St the location was either in then George St end of Markies or next space down.

There was Garvie and Syme the ironmongers Bob Crolls a wee Italian cafe then the plus four brigades shop Frasers then the Skinnergate. The cafe was called Mannotinnis

There was also the Fair City Bar - just down from Woolworths and roughly where Next is now. Bob Croll's was down from it, around where W.H.Smith's is. Do any of you remember Barlass's the ironmongers with its old fashioned bow fronted window? It was on the other side of the High Street just up from the Kirkgate. Across the road at the corner of High Street and George Street was Woods the Bakers with its upstairs tearoom and next door to it was J.&D. Gowans the high quality grocers.

Both were temporary locations for Joe Andersons. The first shop was on the corner of Mill Street and North Methven Street - it later became a Wool Mill. It was on two floors, and had the worst Santa Claus in town. Was Cairds' the only other place that had one?

Was the St John Street shop only open for one Christmas? I struggle to think what was there before, and recall trestle table displays.

I am reasonably sure that Joe Anderson was married to Jessie Valentine - Perth's most famous ever golfer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/asportingnation/article/0050/

But I don't think it ever sold much golf stuff.

Edited by Remberbuck

Both were temporary locations for Joe Andersons. The first shop was on the corner of Mill Street and North Methven Street - it later became a Wool Mill. It was on two floors, and had the worst Santa Claus in town. Was Cairds' the only other place that had one?

Was the St John Street shop only open for one Christmas? I struggle to think what was there before, and recall trestle table displays.

I am reasonably sure that Joe Anderson was married to Jessie Valentine - Perth's most famous ever golfer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/asportingnation/article/0050/

But I don't think it ever sold much golf stuff.

Jessie Anderson was Joe Anderson's daughter [Joe was also a golf professional as well as owning the sports shop which was in St John Street for many years] and she became Jessie Valentine when she married George Valentine who owned Valentines Motors in King Edward Street [on the site of the current Lloyds TSB branch]. George was also a St Johnstone director in the 1950's. Jessie Valentine won the both the British and Scottish ladies golf championship on several occasions and was also a member of Britains ladies Curtis Cup team. She died just two or three years ago and was still playing golf in her eighties.

Jessie Anderson was Joe Anderson's daughter [Joe was also a golf professional as well as owning the sports shop which was in St John Street for many years] and she became Jessie Valentine when she married George Valentine who owned Valentines Motors in King Edward Street [on the site of the current Lloyds TSB branch]. George was also a St Johnstone director in the 1950's. Jessie Valentine won the both the British and Scottish ladies golf championship on several occasions and was also a member of Britains ladies Curtis Cup team. She died just two or three years ago and was still playing golf in her eighties.

you dont half keep up to date.what a post ,thank you for the information.

The Playpen in Mill St.

Used to stand in the Letham bus queue, with my nose pressed to the glass, checking out the latest Action Man gear:D

Jings that's a good ane, it was on the corner of Mill St and Methven St, where the Blue Alexanders buses 31a (Rannoch Rd) or 31c (Tweedsmuir Rd) left.

Edited by babychunder