Who would you like at saints for next season?

saintcraigieboy

You are quite critical of the current squad (statement of fact IMO, not a personal attack) so would be interesting to hear who you and the other guys that aren't happy at all with the product would like to see at Saints?

For sure, I'm not happy with the product. And I'm not in a minority.

Are YOU happy with the product?

Tade and Woods, no thanks. Tade is worse than our current strikers, and Woods is not better than Gary Irvine.

But to try answer your question, and I'm not taking your comments personally, I am critical of what I have been watching every week for the most part of the season. With few exceptions we have been appalling to watch and perhaps you have noticed that its not getting any cheaper.

What has concerned me most is how we went from an entertaining side who scored and conceded lots of goals to one which can't score but doesn't let many in. This despite the majority of key players being much the same.

Last season, if we went behind, even by two goals, it didn't concern me in the least. Now, if we lose one, we are beaten.

It's not so much a question of who we need to bring in, but also what we do with the talent already at our disposal. How they are coached, how they are set out to play, even what direction they are to go in. Players with zero end product are lauded by many and I fail to understand why. Again, I am not alone. Had you seen yesterday's performance by Hardie and compared it to ANY of Jody's, Muzz's or Chris Millar's this season, you would be frustrated too. I'm not saying bring MMMH back, immense as he was yesterday.

I don't have the answers, but that doesn't stop me having a view on what's wrong. I'm not paid to fix it, that's Derek's job, so your question is rendered somewhat irrelevant. If I feel ill, I don't know what's up with me. I can tell you what I'm feeling, but to fix things I need to see a doctor who will diagnose and give the necessary treatment, his/her health board permitting. First question the doctor asks is, 'What seems to be the problem?' That I can answer. Doctor Derek thinks he knows what's up, so he will have to find the appropriate remedy, and hopefully his board will give him the necessary resources. That's about all I know, and about all I'm qualified to say.

As for me, my condition must be some kind of psychiatric one seeing as I keep going back to what's causing my pain. :laugh:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are YOU happy with the product?

I don't think we are nearly as bad as you and some others make out anyway. Outside of the matches against the Old Firm, I think we've been clearly the better team in all the SPL matches we've played at McDiarmid in the past few months and have largely created plenty of chances. The problem has been converting them. Away from home we've not played well or created much and would largely accept any criticism of the side on that basis. The use of words like appalling to describe the home performances against Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie though, I can't get my head around. Did you not think we played well in those games? I thought we controlled them, the midfield had plenty end product but the attacking players let the side down when it came to finishing.

I'd like to see a natural wide option with pace being available to the midfield, a striker who can jump and someone who is going to get on the end of these chances we are creating. Three players maybe. I suspect you feel we need a lot more than that?

For sure, I'm not happy... what's causing my pain. :laugh:

Should also say you make your case well and I can fully see where you are coming from but I just feel it's all a bit excessive with the doom and gloom, especially surrounding some of the guys that play in our midfield. Things just aren't that bad IMO and we aren't miles away from being a decent side.

Should also say you make your case well and I can fully see where you are coming from but I just feel it's all a bit excessive with the doom and gloom, especially surrounding some of the guys that play in our midfield. Things just aren't that bad IMO and we aren't miles away from being a decent side.

Don't know about everyone else but I only wish we'd had a midweek game last week or even a game yesterday to lighten the mood a bit and to bring us all back a wee sense of normality after last weeks horror show at Hampden.

It's been a very long week...:neutral:

Thanks for that. It's good to have a rational discussion on here instead of being shouted down like usually happens. :laugh:

You do realise, of course, that many who comment do so out of frustration. Myself included. I don't shout abuse at our players in the matches. I see this as a place to come and let off steam, among other things. And I'm open to correction. I appreciate folk taking the time to seriously comment and even inform. I take exception to those who can't accept that some of us are justifiably unhappy at times and who resort to insults, abuse or the dreaded moral high ground.

You have noted that I have been very critical of our midfield. And I have. As a unit. I have said that they are not bad players. As a collective. however, I think they have vastly underperformed. Not in all matches, but in the majority, for sure.

In isolation, the season has not been a disaster. Secured another place in the SPHell - a dubious positive in many ways. A semi final. A much improved defence.

In perspective and in context - i.e. compared with the last two seasons, and with one eye on the season to come, it has been a let down and a cause for concern respectively. Derek is now in a difficult position. I don't envy him one bit. His job starts now and his future will be shaped from this point. I hope it works out as positively as he hopes it will.

I will be at the last five games to see the revolution begin. So, COYS. :laugh:

With few exceptions we have been appalling to watch

The use of words like appalling to describe the home performances against Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie though, I can't get my head around.

I did say with few exceptions :laugh:

You are, of course, correct. We did play much better in those three games.

You have noted that I have been very critical of our midfield. And I have. As a unit. I have said that they are not bad players. As a collective. however, I think they have vastly underperformed. Not in all matches, but in the majority, for sure.

In isolation, the season has not been a disaster. Secured another place in the SPHell - a dubious positive in many ways. A semi final. A much improved defence.

In perspective and in context - i.e. compared with the last two seasons, and with one eye on the season to come, it has been a let down and a cause for concern respectively. Derek is now in a difficult position. I don't envy him one bit. His job starts now and his future will be shaped from this point. I hope it works out as positively as he hopes it will.

I will be at the last five games to see the revolution begin. So, COYS. :laugh:

Would you agree that in order to form a much improved defence, certain sacrifices probably had to be made throughout the remainder of the team?

I don't think we could have went into this season playing the same way, leaking goals galore, and expect to stay clear of a relegation dogfight. I think the management team set us out to be difficult to beat this season. I also think we now have a strong foundation to build upon and improve the forward areas.

It's a difficult task to build a successful team if you can't keep the ball out of the net. We're not a good enough team that can rely on scoring 2-3 goals a match to pick up points.

I have every confidence that after fixing the defensive side of the team this season, McInnes will get the attacking players in that he wants to compliment that.

Would you agree that in order to form a much improved defence, certain sacrifices probably had to be made throughout the remainder of the team?

I don't think we could have went into this season playing the same way, leaking goals galore, and expect to stay clear of a relegation dogfight. I think the management team set us out to be difficult to beat this season. I also think we now have a strong foundation to build upon and improve the forward areas.

It's a difficult task to build a successful team if you can't keep the ball out of the net. We're not a good enough team that can rely on scoring 2-3 goals a match to pick up points.

I have every confidence that after fixing the defensive side of the team this season, McInnes will get the attacking players in that he wants to compliment that.

Yes, I would agree with you re sacrifices and how difficult a task it is to build a team. Definitely.

The whole thing is a major balancing act - getting the defence right has changed our style of play, making us more defensive as a team, not just a defence. Consequently we have been so different to watch from last season that it has come as a shock and some people are staying away, although this also has a lot to do with the various kick off times and days we have been asked to play because of tv, the pitch and bad weather.

There are so many variables that it's nearly impossible to get it all right at any given time, and I don't envy Derek one bit.

Just as we can't rely on scoring 2 or 3 goals a game to pick up points, nor can we bring in anyone we like. We are limited, and increasingly so, by our attendances/income. Who we sign or take on loan will be interesting for sure and I hope it works. The alternative is the setting in of a general malaise that would see us once again on a downward trajectory.

I would love to share your optimism and confidence. Based on the attacking players brought in last close season I will reserve judgment. :laugh:

Guest Mongy Max

my mate is a Cardiff City season ticket holder and he phoned me on the other day asking about Murray Davidson as he had heard his name mentioned round the local pubs.

Major Re-haul, As i am worried too many teams playing football, we havent all season and to be honest have not seen any link up play at saintsl ike am see from all the other teams, wouldnt surprise me if we are second bottom. Don't know who to bring in as dont see any other teams but we dont even seem to have any dcent contacts, all other teams have brought in good players wether on contra.cts or loans

Probabl a bit early and we are a few players short of being a good side. Personally for players for next year I would raid the first division and bring in some young or experienced Players who were hungry to prove themselves. Some of our best players Dave, muzz, miller have proven that there are decent players who could come and do a job. How about Tade, Woods (Dunfermline), Harris and probably many more. Must be worth the chance

New management first then players.

A whole new team as this one cannot play together for any length of time. you get short bursts of encouraging play then disastrous stuff.

If it is not poor defending it is inability to put away numerous chances, add in some calamitous goalkeeping, and IMO it is S H I T.

After last summers raised hopes being met by a pile of cheap dross followed by continued let down in January, I believe there is no point in getting our hopes raised for quality signings coming in. It's obvious Geoff just isn't going to release the money needed.

The hot tip to join us and kick start the exciting new phase for St Johnstone FC? John ****ing Potter. The only thing he's got going for him is he isn't Graham Gartland.

I await our next wave of signings with fear and dread.

After last summers raised hopes being met by a pile of cheap dross followed by continued let down in January, I believe there is no point in getting our hopes raised for quality signings coming in. It's obvious Geoff just isn't going to release the money needed.

The hot tip to join us and kick start the exciting new phase for St Johnstone FC? John ****ing Potter. The only thing he's got going for him is he isn't Graham Gartland.

I await our next wave of signings with fear and dread.

Do we have the money you seem to think we have, that could be released in the first place?

Do we have the money you seem to think we have, that could be released in the first place?

Yes, as has been pointed out on numerous occasions by a few folk on here but for some reason many others seem happy to keep repeating the foundless myth that we are broke.

Yes, as has been pointed out on numerous occasions by a few folk on here but for some reason many others seem happy to keep repeating the foundless myth that we are broke.

Nobody said we are broke but expecting Geoff to say shell out £125,000 on Leigh Griffiths is stupidity. We are going to make a loss again this year, that'll be two years on the trot. I don't think splashing the cash is a good idea.

We are St Johnstone FC, we are a yo-yo club, we will continue to bank on loans and frees along with the odd gem like Murray Davidson/Dave MacKay deal. It's been like that forever bar, Billy Dodds and will continue too. Along with half the SPL at this current moment in time we can't afford to be spending thousands on players.