Football Fans In Training

Tranmere Saintee

13 and a Half Stone and size 36 waist now!!

Well done Larkie, but seriously do not go the other way, you need a bit off fat as its later on in life that it effects you, keeping the weight off takes the strain off the joints, too late for me as i now have no cartilages in my knees, and boy do i know it.and still struggle to keep the weight off

• 4 weeks later...

For all current, past or future FFIT guys or anybody just wanting to get fitter the following is from Graham McNaughton who has been running a weekly session based at Bells for the last group of guys. He is hoping to keep this going so please let him know of your interest, preferably on the Perth FFIT Club page on Facebook (Come on GingerBaker!!).

"Evening guys. This Thursday is the last week of our block of training. 7pm at bells for an indoor session. I briefly spoke with the current group about everyone's plans after the block is finished. If there is enough interest I will be starting up a regular class for anyone to join in. This will be a fitness group, aimed at helping you all with weight loss and fitness targets. This class is open to you all, past and present fit fans, and friends if you have any buddies that fancy a challenge. If you could get in touch and let me know if you would like this class to start up, and what days/times would suit you best. Once I have enough interest we will sort a day that suits the majority and I will put a price on the sessions. This is totally separate from live active for the moment."

For all current, past or future FFIT guys or anybody just wanting to get fitter the following is from Graham McNaughton who has been running a weekly session based at Bells for the last group of guys. He is hoping to keep this going so please let him know of your interest, preferably on the Perth FFIT Club page on Facebook (Come on GingerBaker!!).

"Evening guys. This Thursday is the last week of our block of training. 7pm at bells for an indoor session. I briefly spoke with the current group about everyone's plans after the block is finished. If there is enough interest I will be starting up a regular class for anyone to join in. This will be a fitness group, aimed at helping you all with weight loss and fitness targets. This class is open to you all, past and present fit fans, and friends if you have any buddies that fancy a challenge. If you could get in touch and let me know if you would like this class to start up, and what days/times would suit you best. Once I have enough interest we will sort a day that suits the majority and I will put a price on the sessions. This is totally separate from live active for the moment."

i will register my interest,saturday 3pm is suitable

• 5 months later...

Just a wee update

On a personal  front i have apart from a wee blip from October to December Put on about 9lbs due to a (Chest infection which floored me )  but i battled back in January/Feb to maintain  healthy eating and exercise and sit at a comfortable 14st.10lbs

I regularly  take part in weekly Gym,Spinning  and Circuit classes as well as swimming  once or twice a week and Take part in the weekly  Perth Park run (5k)I feel  the best i have for years.I also play 5s at least  twice a week which brings me to the second part of my wee update.

At the End of our FFIT  class in December 12 i asked our group if they would like to stay together by playing 5s once a week and we met a s a trial game in January 13 and have never looked back

just over  half  of our group now play in a  weekly 5s game on Thursdays at Bells Sports Centre joined by some from other groups to make a regular pool of about 20 players,

The popularity means we often have to have 12 players involved and have a sub each team, mind you some are glad of the wee break.I even played about with the FFIT name and came up with FITT 5s, clearly some of us are fitter than others.

But it is not just about the fitness and friendships have blossomed , we now take on other FFIT teams at 11 a side games, are going Go Karting in the Summer

and i am in the process of getting some of us to take part in a 2 part bleep test,the first in just  a few days  now  to see what level we are all at, and the second  in 6 months or so to see how it compares.

Incentive s to keep up the hard work if ever there was one.I also organise and play in weekly  games both at McDiarmid Astro on a Monday , and Tuesday 5s Bells , both off which are a younger/Better standard of Football but players from the FFIT groups now take part in both of these, something i would imagine unthinkable before.In fact one player now plays regularly  in a League  for a Futsal team.

So over a year later, we are all fitter and healthier  but some good friendships have also  been developed.To which point we are off up to Aberdeen on 1st Feb as the Saints FFIT team take on the Dandies FFIT team before the big game in the afternoon.About 7 of us are staying over and sampling the local hostelries !Should be fun.

Just a wee update

On a personal  front i have apart from a wee blip from October to December Put on about 9lbs due to a (Chest infection which floored me )  but i battled back in January/Feb to maintain  healthy eating and exercise and sit at a comfortable 14st.10lbs

I regularly  take part in weekly Gym,Spinning  and Circuit classes as well as swimming  once or twice a week and Take part in the weekly  Perth Park run (5k)I feel  the best i have for years.I also play 5s at least  twice a week which brings me to the second part of my wee update.

At the End of our FFIT  class in December 12 i asked our group if they would like to stay together by playing 5s once a week and we met a s a trial game in January 13 and have never looked back

just over  half  of our group now play in a  weekly 5s game on Thursdays at Bells Sports Centre joined by some from other groups to make a regular pool of about 20 players,

The popularity means we often have to have 12 players involved and have a sub each team, mind you some are glad of the wee break.I even played about with the FFIT name and came up with FITT 5s, clearly some of us are fitter than others.

But it is not just about the fitness and friendships have blossomed , we now take on other FFIT teams at 11 a side games, are going Go Karting in the Summer

and i am in the process of getting some of us to take part in a 2 part bleep test,the first in just  a few days  now  to see what level we are all at, and the second  in 6 months or so to see how it compares.

Incentive s to keep up the hard work if ever there was one.I also organise and play in weekly  games both at McDiarmid Astro on a Monday , and Tuesday 5s Bells , both off which are a younger/Better standard of Football but players from the FFIT groups now take part in both of these, something i would imagine unthinkable before.In fact one player now plays regularly  in a League  for a Futsal team.

So over a year later, we are all fitter and healthier  but some good friendships have also  been developed.To which point we are off up to Aberdeen on 1st Feb as the Saints FFIT team take on the Dandies FFIT team before the big game in the afternoon.About 7 of us are staying over and sampling the local hostelries !Should be fun.

Wish there was something like that down here

• 2 weeks later...

Starting again on the 27th of March.

Check OS for details.

Puzzzles me that some

the fat barstewards that have lost weight are on every course.

Believe if you register under an alias, you're in.

Think it's become a clique.

Anyone have the balls to admit they have been on more than one course?

Don't think when this was set up, that the aim was that same folk would attend more than one course?

Puzzzles me that some

the fat barstewards that have lost weight are on every course.

Believe if you register under an alias, you're in.

Think it's become a clique.

Anyone have the balls to admit they have been on more than one course?

Don't think when this was set up, that the aim was that same folk would attend more than one course?

Pish, I'm going on this course it's my second time after losing two stone the last time. I'm doing it for the motivation and the facilities on offer. The course could be a lot bigger at Saints and the attendance isn't that big that folk would miss out if it was a clique.

I know several guys who have been on 3 or more courses and still need to go on more, I wouldn't ever say they should be denied the opportunity.

That is actually one of the big draw backs with the whole thing, once the course is finished there is little follow up to keep up the momentum. Those on the original 2 sessions have had no follow ups at all and from the later courses it would appear odd ones have been selected to get a follow up to see how they are doing but nothing practical.

This explains why several alias's have been used by some WAP members!!

I can guarantee that nobody has missed out due to these mysterious bodies :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i can confirm that some people have been on the course more than once, but as far as i know no one has missed out because of this and i dont see the problem with this.

Personally  i dont feel the need as i have found my own motivation  which included forming  and playing in the now weekly Fitt 5s(A play on FFIT ) ,now running over a year for what was originally my group at FFIT but many from the more recent groups  have joined and  over time  one or two have drifted back  to the FFIT course to  get the boost the course can give them.

Many of us have also benefited  from the course in the main and the Fitt 5s by playing other FFIT teams from around the Country   in regular 11- A-Side games, having taken part in 7 fixtures to date.I doubt if  all those players would have made it through to today  without the boost of either regular games of 5s or indeed revisiting the course, or in some cases both.Surely it would be better to congratulate folk for wanting to stay fit and not return to fat bassa's No?

• 8 months later...

Well done Larky. You're an inspiration to others.

Keep up the good work.

As I said above, keep up the good work.

Pity that the coure is age restricted.

Unfortuneately for health reasons I would be unable to take part in the fives, as I would presume that there would be physical contact.

As I said above, keep up the good work.

Pity that the coure is age restricted.

Unfortuneately for health reasons I would be unable to take part in the fives, as I would presume that there would be physical contact.

Caught the last few minutes of a piece on the news, walking football guys of 60s 70 s playing it non contact, worth a look sure there would be others in the same boat.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Would just like to wish all the ladies(?) who are starting the latest FFIT club session tonight all the best and really enjoy it. Had a quick look round and couldn't spot Gordina Muir or Stephanie Walker anywhere!!

I am sure I read this elsewhere. Copy and paste lazy bass..

• 2 years later...

A wee update

7 years after my course in 2012 things are still going well

On a personal front despite a bad calf injury in May last year the weight is staying decent in the whole and still managing to tip the scales at just under 15 stone

The 11 a side football has progressed to Saints Seniors to allow non FFIT course members to play as long as they meet certain criteria, there was no connection or people coming from.cources at Saints so this was necessary to keep the team going 

The season is just away to start on 18th March so if anyone want to play if your over 40 you would be welcome to get in touch 

The 5s games are also still going  both on a Friday for fatter less fit players and Tuesday for 30 plus fitter players 

Added to Monday night football  means I am still playing 3 or 4 games a week

So all in all not to bad 

And going from strength to strength 

Gav

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, theweesausage said:

Played first game of 11 aside football in at least 15 years  against East Fife and what a great game with a great bunch of people, wee bit of life in the old legs yet hahah

Well done.