Summer Transfer Rumours 2011

Davie81

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haber just tweeted this an hour ago...

"Excited for the new season. In the process of figuring out and finalizing things."

Sounds like he's talking about a bit more than just spending pre-season with us!

Possibly more than one offer to think about, maybe a trial with saints or a 3 year deal at Peterhead :)

There seems to be a bit of negativity on here regarding our summer signings. Lack of an 'exciting' signing seems to be the order of the day. I can't recall anyone being overlly excited a couple of years back when we signed Murray Davidson from Livi. Maybe we should wait and see how they perform before writing them off!

You have to admit that what Derek McInnes said after the semi final has had a large bearing on how some will view our signings. If he hadn't mentioned exciting signings himself (I believe he said plural) I doubt there would be too many mentions of exciting signings. He has kind of made a rod for his own back should he fail to make those exciting signings and we struggle in our first few matches.

I'm still in the wait and see mindset. :laugh:

He has been asked to come for pre season so I guess it will depend if he is offered a contract.

If he is interested in coming to Saints, I cant see the lack of an offer from us being a problem - it may, of course, be the nature of the offer that could be a stumbling block

If he is interested in coming to Saints, I cant see the lack of an offer from us being a problem - it may, of course, be the nature of the offer that could be a stumbling block

Or his injury or perhaps that he wasn't first choice when here so Del may not see him as valuable now as some others.

Or his injury or perhaps that he wasn't first choice when here so Del may not see him as valuable now as some others.

Been following him on twitter, and he seems to be close to 100% fitness again, (according to himself). He was complaining of jet-lag yesterday, so I guess he was on his way back from Vancouver. Still think he has more to offer than the new recruits and last nights trialists.

Been following him on twitter, and he seems to be close to 100% fitness again, (according to himself). He was complaining of jet-lag yesterday, so I guess he was on his way back from Vancouver. Still think he has more to offer than the new recruits and last nights trialists.

I am not saying I would not take him. On last years evidence I certainly would. I have just been playing devil's advocate.

So he is in the UK already ?

I am not saying I would not take him. On last years evidence I certainly would. I have just been playing devil's advocate.

Nah man, I wasn't arguing with you, just really commenting on how he personally sees his return to fitness going. I really don't envy Del being expected to make 'exciting signings', especially forwards, when there just aren't any available.

If he offered Haber and the two guys who played last night contracts, we might have 3 players who simply fail to deliver, but then again one or more of them might be great. I'm not being argumentative, but what is the alternative? As soon as a striker shows any kind of form in Scotland, he is off to bigger things. Look at Conner Sammon as the prime example. We need someone who can score goals like that, but as soon as they do they are worth 10 times our, or most SPL teams, budget, because of the English market.

We may look back to signing Billy Dodds. Even someone of that level of quality now would be worth three times that, because the market is stretched to extremes. The money in English football, down to league one, has increased the gap in spending so much that there is no longer a middle ground. Expensive players, and cheap or free players. Nothing inbetween.

So of the cheap and free players, there are those who have been at every club under the sun and not quite been good enough, or those who nobody really knows about. The only solution to making progress as a team is to gamble on the latter, and I think the two guys last night show that Del is thinking along those lines. Similarly, maintaining links with Haber, whos injury has led him into something of a no-mans land, was very sensible.

If all three sign, and turn out to be donkeys, then at least we had a go.

I really don't envy Del being expected to make 'exciting signings', especially forwards, when there just aren't any available.

I agree with what you said in your post.

As I said elsewhere I do think that Del has made a rod for his own back with the 'exciting signings' stuff he came out with after the semi final.

If he hadn't said that then folk wouldn't be looking so much for exciting signings.

He did, of course, say he would 'hope to bring in a few signings that will get the fans excited again,' and that his job was 'to use my budget to bring in players who possess the spark we currently don't have.'

He also spoke of 'players who can improve and others who will offer the team more in an attacking sense.'

Still, I remain in waiting. :laugh:

If we actually sign that trialist, Danijel Subotić , and Marcus Haber, I think Del might just get away with the use of the word "exciting"

I definitely thought Sbotic showed enough last night to be worth signing, and we know what Haber is capable of.

A Swiss U19 international and a Canadian international - could be exciting? We'renot going to get Carlos Tevez.

If we actually sign that trialist, Danijel Subotić , and Marcus Haber, I think Del might just get away with the use of the word "exciting"

I definitely thought Sbotic showed enough last night to be worth signing, and we know what Haber is capable of.

A Swiss U19 international and a Canadian international - could be exciting? We'renot going to get Carlos Tevez.

Watch this space :laugh: