Del to Brentford?

Derek Patterson

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he goes then so be it i dont think it will make much difference to saints in the long run we will still be dealing in the frees,loans etc. But for his sake and reputation this is a massive mistake if he chooses here, It will end in tears and reputation in tatters.

The problem with this sort of club is they get these lifetime fans in with money and they quickley find that a football team runs away with their cash faster than snaw of dyke (Thats for Brentford fans checking the site) Boyle at Motherwell for examle,Thompson at United it goes on and on this guy is the same if he puts in £5million as ghostie says thats still does not clear their debt then the ground is sold and the dundee situation is here.

I have nothing against Brentford but the alarm bells should be ringing for their fans, and Del leave it for some other guy to ruin his reputation i am sure the bigger teams in the english 3rd division will be looking for managers a couple weeks into the season when they do not get the start they want.

well news that makes me happy. Hope takes his broken bottles with him too! Never will forgive the semi final tactics! We are relegation candidates next season if he stays or leaves. Lets get new fresh approach about the place. This season has been one all mighty borefest!

I posted a bit about their financial side on P&B. To sum it up... They have a rich shareholder who is putting £5 million into the club over 5 years. In return he either gets his money back after the 5 years from the fans who own the club or he buys their shares and wipes his debt.

If this is true then £1m per yr over 5 yrs doesn't sound a lot to get a relatively small club into the Championship. However GB has said the money on offer is much more than we could afford & as we're going to make a big loss this season Del perhaps feels he isn't going to be given the funds required to bring in the quality of player he needs. As someone has already said if the team gets off to a bad start next season he'll be under pressure & so perhaps he feels now is the time to bail out even if Brentford wouldn't be his 1st choice. However the Brentford fans appear to have lots of other candidates they'd prefer as manager.

Am just going to my bed, he's still no left yet.

All this talk on here about something that might not happen.

He would have to build a team in a league that he has no clue about, with players he has no clue about. Does he know what players he needs to bring in during the summer to strengthen brentford, who to let go ???.

No not really, he could be out a job by xmas if they are bottom.

They have a chairman who wants his money back from what he put in, is he nuts, name me one investor/ chairman who has ever got a return from putting money into a club over a short term.

Thats why i feel all these pages are a waste of time.

He's on a good thing here and can progress when the time comes. I don't feel that brentford, at the end of the season is the right place or time for him.

It's was published in the news and then as a matter of respect Geoff Brown has issued his statement.

He has never stood in the way of anyone but I don't think Brentford have the financial capacity to pay out the compensation as Del has two years left on his contract.

Only time will tell.

Am just going to my bed, he's still no left yet.

All this talk on here about something that might not happen.

He would have to build a team in a league that he has no clue about, with players he has no clue about. Does he know what players he needs to bring in during the summer to strengthen brentford, who to let go ???.

No not really, he could be out a job by xmas if they are bottom.

They have a chairman who wants his money back from what he put in, is he nuts, name me one investor/ chairman who has ever got a return from putting money into a club over a short term.

Thats why i feel all these pages are a waste of time.

He's on a good thing here and can progress when the time comes. I don't feel that brentford, at the end of the season is the right place or time for him.

Agrreed said it else where -pishy wee English League one team HERETHIS DEL-YOUR BETTER THAT THAN KEACH!!!!

Seeing it mentioned on the official site makes me think he's on his way... sorry to see him go if he does - I still think he has a lot to give:cry:

Agreed. Ominous Posting....I reckon Del has had enough. This was always a stepping stone. The bees are really no big team, but League one is becoming more compeitive. The only bad league is league 2. Even the conference is a well contested/supported league.

The Sun says offer to Del has been turned down out of hand by his agent.

Wouldn't read too much into that Brentford will be trying to get Del on the cheap and its rare that the opening bid will bear any resemblance to a final deal.

Having said that if they're talking money, Del is obviously happy to go if the price is right, regardless of Brentford's setup, squad, facilities etc, which is perhaps a more ominous sign

Had a thought last night... Now that the whole thing is public knowledge, how damaging do you think it could be for Saints if it comes out that the only reason he stays is because Brentford can't afford the compensation Geoff wants?

If it comes down to that then it'll be obvious Del has plans to move on in the near future so any of the current squad might not be so keen to sign a contract extension as they would be if they knew he was going to be around for another year or so. And likeways, if he stays he's already going to have difficulty bringing in players on a shoe string budget, but again will this affect players desicions to come sign for him?

Had a thought last night... Now that the whole thing is public knowledge, how damaging do you think it could be for Saints if it comes out that the only reason he stays is because Brentford can't afford the compensation Geoff wants?

If it comes down to that then it'll be obvious Del has plans to move on in the near future so any of the current squad might not be so keen to sign a contract extension as they would be if they knew he was going to be around for another year or so. And likeways, if he stays he's already going to have difficulty bringing in players on a shoe string budget, but again will this affect players desicions to come sign for him?

I think we all know Del wants to further his career so I don't imagine anyone will bother too much. I'd be disappointed if his ambitions lay only with Saints - we need ambitious people at the club. However, if results do turn bad then he will be given less time from the fans because no matter how level-headed we all are we like to perceive every employee of the club living and breathing Saints. Unfortunately Football is like any other business.

Edited by Broon

I think we all know Del wants to further his career so I don't imagine anyone will bother too much. I'd be disappointed if his ambitions lay only with Saints - we need ambitious people at the club. However, if results do turn bad then he will be given less time from the fans because no matter how level headed we all are we like to perceive every employee of the club living and breathing Saints. Unfortunately Football is like any other business.

Yeah I don't mean losing the respect of the fans or anything (I'm one of the people who think it could be the right move for him but still wnat him to stay), I'm just talking about from a signing players point of view. Would they want to sign a 2 year contract or whatever when the guy who signs them might only be there for a few months, and then not know what plans any future manager might have for them? Like I said just a thought, I have no idea what goes on inside professional footballers minds...apart from the likes of John Terry and Ashley Cole's :laugh:

I think we all know Del wants to further his career so I don't imagine anyone will bother too much. I'd be disappointed if his ambitions lay only with Saints - we need ambitious people at the club. However, if results do turn bad then he will be given less time from the fans because no matter how level-headed we all are we like to perceive every employee of the club living and breathing Saints. Unfortunately Football is like any other business.

When Eddie Thompson took control of DUFC and began recruiting players he was paying them 4K+/week, and the players like Del, Jim McIntyre (and of course Jobby who was the worst!) and others were jerking off the fans talking about their commitment to the club, like they had made it! A few million later ET brought in Craig Levein,(whose budget was reduced year on year) who was up front from the start....if a player thinks Dundee United is the peak of his ambition he has no place at Tannadice. If on the other hand a player wishes to improve till he is the best he possibly can be, then he will be considered for the squad, indeed CL and DUFC made promises to Robson, Hunt, Kalvenas, Flood, Zaluska, and now Conway, Bauben and Gomis that we will do everything in our power to help them move 'up' the football food chain and we did not stand in anyone's way, all part of the deal. The only way to win the move up is to be a stand-out at Tannadice! Obviously CL included himself in that, he too had ambition to be the best he can be and that cannot be realised in the SPL.

I happen to think it has been a highly successful approach, we have enjoyed our fourth consecutive top 6 finish (after a decade fighting relegation) and won the cup. 'Ambition' is a double edged sword for SPL clubs!

When Eddie Thompson took control of DUFC and began recruiting players he was paying them 4K+/week, and the players like Del, Jim McIntyre (and of course Jobby who was the worst!) and others were jerking off the fans talking about their commitment to the club, like they had made it! A few million later ET brought in Craig Levein,(whose budget was reduced year on year) who was up front from the start....if a player thinks Dundee United is the peak of his ambition he has no place at Tannadice. If on the other hand a player wishes to improve till he is the best he possibly can be, then he will be considered for the squad, indeed CL and DUFC made promises to Robson, Hunt, Kalvenas, Flood, Zaluska, and now Conway, Bauben and Gomis that we will do everything in our power to help them move 'up' the football food chain and we did not stand in anyone's way, all part of the deal. The only way to win the move up is to be a stand-out at Tannadice! Obviously CL included himself in that, he too had ambition to be the best he can be and that cannot be realised in the SPL.

I happen to think it has been a highly successful approach, we have enjoyed our fourth consecutive top 6 finish (after a decade fighting relegation) and won the cup. 'Ambition' is a double edged sword for SPL clubs!

While I agree with the principle of the idea, I do believe it's unfair to believe all experienced players are simply creaming off the club. Michael Dubbery is a prime example of that. I would guess he is a higher earner at the club and to be honest there is no real reason for him to particularly care how St Johnstone does, he clearly does. He is very committed to the club and he is certainly enjoying his time at the club.

I think a players personality is just as important as his age. Look at Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. They have won everything they possibly can at club level, but you know fine well that if they came down the park for a kick about they'd want to win.

Don't get me wrong I accept Saints are a seller club and I hope that we continue to forward players such as Murray Davidson, but I do believe that the likes of Morris, Dubbery, Baltacha, etc have a place to play in bringing these players on.

While I agree with the principle of the idea, I do believe it's unfair to believe all experienced players are simply creaming off the club. Michael Dubbery is a prime example of that. I would guess he is a higher earner at the club and to be honest there is no real reason for him to particularly care how St Johnstone does, he clearly does. He is very committed to the club and he is certainly enjoying his time at the club.

I think a players personality is just as important as his age. Look at Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. They have won everything they possibly can at club level, but you know fine well that if they came down the park for a kick about they'd want to win.

Don't get me wrong I accept Saints are a seller club and I hope that we continue to forward players such as Murray Davidson, but I do believe that the likes of Morris, Dubbery, Baltacha, etc have a place to play in bringing these players on.

I agree totally Slick, its about professionalism, and ambition is very much a part of a professional footballer, or should be!

Del knows what is an excellent financial package in terms of salary and contract length then onto financial constraints with the team.

However, if this offer was declined without Del knowing then his agent knows what he would move for as a minimum.

IF, and a big if, that were agreed it is not a cut and dry process.

They will then need to offer compensation to the club as he has 2 years left on his contract. This could be a very costly process for them. Del on maybe a couple hundred grand plus then the same or more for compensation.

Could cost them a million!

Jim Spence has been saying on Sportsound that Del has now been offered the job and it's up to him. He also mentioned that Nick Dasovic or a Sheerin/Docherty combo are the rumoured replacements. Not that I'm saying Spence is in any way reliable when it comes to such matters.

Jim Spence has been saying on Sportsound that Del has now been offered the job and it's up to him. He also mentioned that Nick Dasovic or a Sheerin/Docherty combo are the rumoured replacements. Not that I'm saying Spence is in any way reliable when it comes to such matters.

All of this 'information' is available on here and/or P&B which is where I suspect Mr Spence's source lies.