#02 - 30/07/11 - Saints 0-2 Rangers - SPL

I think every team should fancy their chances at home to rangers right now, but since we have came up we usually give Rangers a game at home. Celtic just seem to run riot against us.

Celtic seem to get the breaks against us as well....such as 1-0 up at HT and then Garts gets harshly sent off a minute into 2nd half

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC said the sending off was controversial. More interestingly the referee told del it was an accidental collision and he had to give a red card...under the last man rule which is meant for deliberate foulplay. As it was an accident we could have got the free kick...ah stupid me we were playing one of the OF!

The BBC said the sending off was controversial. More interestingly the referee told del it was an accidental collision and he had to give a red card...under the last man rule which is meant for deliberate foulplay. As it was an accident we could have got the free kick...ah stupid me we were playing one of the OF!

How could we possibly get a free kick if Gartland brought the guy down?

I don't remember us ever beating either of the OF with one striker on the park. In fact, it's hard to think of any team beating the OF with a defensive approach. They aren't easy to hit on the counter attack, AND we don't have an on form confident lone striker. We can't keep the ball well enough playing like we did on Saturday, and they will hurt us. They aren't too good to buckle under a bit of pressure, and I feel our side could really gain confidence and momentum quite quickly. I think if we score first we will win.

I'm intrigued by some of the lineups suggested. I'm just not convinced about the keeper thing, so I'll pass on that.

A keeper

Mackay, Ando, Wright, C Davidson

Moon, Morris, M Davidson, Craig

Haber, Sheridan

...................Mannus................

MacKay....Wright....Anderson...Davidson

....................Morris....................

..........Millar...Davidson...Moon

..............Haber.......Sandaza.....

With the three subs to be Craig, Sheridan and Adams (if we are winning) or Robertson (if we are losing)

Based on tonights showing surely Del has to start with two upfront - Rangers defence was dodgy, and if our midfield pushes up to support then we have a decent chance - will be expecting decent delivery from Davidson/Millar/Craig out on the wings. Their right side is to be exposed Whittaker was shocking!

For the first half they played everything down the right hand side before clearly regrouping at half time and playing thru the middle more - some nice link up play between Naismith and Jelavic with the former failing to score 2 sitters...

Would start: Mannus, Mackay, McCracken/Ando, Wright, C Davidson, Millar, Morris, M Davidson, Craig, Haber and Sheridan.

Potentially even drop Craig and play Haber out wide and encourage him to get forward and support and bring Moon in to the midfield to break up the play a bit.

COYS

Based on tonights showing surely Del has to start with two upfront - Rangers defence was dodgy, and if our midfield pushes up to support then we have a decent chance - will be expecting decent delivery from Davidson/Millar/Craig out on the wings. Their right side is to be exposed Whittaker was shocking!

For the first half they played everything down the right hand side before clearly regrouping at half time and playing thru the middle more - some nice link up play between Naismith and Jelavic with the former failing to score 2 sitters...

Would start: Mannus, Mackay, McCracken/Ando, Wright, C Davidson, Millar, Morris, M Davidson, Craig, Haber and Sheridan.

Potentially even drop Craig and play Haber out wide and encourage him to get forward and support and bring Moon in to the midfield to break up the play a bit.

COYS

Sounds like someone's been at Ibrox again. :)

...................Mannus................

MacKay....Wright....Anderson...Davidson

....................Morris....................

..........Millar...Davidson...Moon

..............Haber.......Sandaza.....

With the three subs to be Craig, Sheridan and Adams (if we are winning) or Robertson (if we are losing)

Interview with Sandaza on OS suggests that he is not fully match fit yet and I would be surprised if he starts

..................................Mannus.........................................

Mackay.............Ando....................Wright................Davidson

..................................Morris.............................................

Millar...............Davidson....................Moon

............................Haber.........Sheridan

Subs:encks, Mckracken, Caddis, sandaza ( give him 15 mins at end cos he needs fitness) Craig, may, Higgins, maybury

Haber is not a winger, neither was Sammy or Dobie. Would rather they used our wealth of midfielders who understand the defensive aspects of a midfielders role.

Getting Dave and Mr Davidson up to play balls to the strikers would maybe bare more fruit.

..................................Mannus.........................................

Mackay.............Ando....................Wright................Davidson

..................................Morris.............................................

Millar...............Davidson....................Moon

............................Haber.........Sheridan

Subs:encks, Mckracken, Caddis, sandaza ( give him 15 mins at end cos he needs fitness) Craig, may, Higgins, maybury

Like the starting XI, apart from I would stick with Enks. But you've got 8 subs there and only 2 of them are u-21s:wink:

Why does everyone seem to drop Craig from the starting 11? He looked back to his best at the end of last season and in pre-season. I admit that Midge improves all the time, but he offers little attacking threat. I can't fathom how, when almost forced to drop one of last years regular starters, you all pick the top goal scorer, from a team that couldn't score.

I agree that Moon has come on a lot, and is a stick on starter, and especially against the better teams, Morris's composure is necessary. Muzz can't be left out in my opinion, so that leaves Craig or Midge. No contest IMO.

Midge offers a hard working extra body in the midfield if we switch to 4-5-1.