riots in tottenham

slf

Ok, to start with

I reckon the reason that the police haven't been charging the crowds is because there are so many people just standing around watching (and filming it on their phones) who aren't involved. Which is where a curfew comes in handy.

It's not right, it's not moral and it should be punished.

However, we have to look at why our society has got into a state where this happens.

We now have a society which is primed for this kind of behaviour. The attitude of 'me first' which has been cultivated by successive governments for 30 years and the utilitarian view of the individual has removed any obligation on people to have their own set of morals. It's the root cause of the banking crisis, MP's fiddling their expenses, the hacking by newspapers and now the riots. For example, the questions associated with fiddling your expenses are

What do I get out of it?

Can I get away with it?

What's the punishment if I do get away with it?

and they're exactly the same as the questions in the looters heads. The way that policy making and business leadership has been based on normative decision making has removed any concept of moral decision making and that's worked its way into wider society. If you take morals out of the decision making process then it makes sense to riot.

If you can get a nice plasma TV for nothing and you're really unlikely to get caught, why wouldn't you? The only reason you wouldn't is because you made a moral decision. But the business and political leadership of the UK (and the US and many other western countries) deliberately and conciously removed morality from economics and industry over the the last three decades - in other words they removed it from public life. To expect this not to push down into society at large was moronic.

I honestly believe that the attitude that people have where they just take what they can get away with is the thin end of a (very long) wedge and this is at the other end. It's that attitude, where the primacy of the individual takes precendence over society, which has got us here.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hitler had a great idea.lets reintroduce something akin to his 'final solution' policy.round up all the rioters and put them into concentration camps.aushwitz and other camps are free ,lets put them to good use.anyone defo guilty should be sent for a shower.a special shower that is .anyone else who were rounded up should be made to work hard labour.

this would work a treat.human rights these feckers deserve no human rights.but in an act of leniency i would allow them bread and water.

Edited by slf

Lets be honest here.....social deprivation is only an excuse for most of the well dressed thugs that I have seen. While some might think because their lifestyle makes them unemployable but not income free there are many others joining in who are "opportunist"

No matter how badly you feel treated and how far your giro goes you dont need to burn places down or steal left right and centre.

Some magnificent 4th Form, cliched political quotes to be read, unsurprisingly.

What we are actually witnessing is the result of a combination of the political outlooks getting it wrong, not just one. The Right's me, me, me, greed is all that counts...The Left's political correctness resulting in a generation devoid of any respect for authority as all that matters is their human rights...the Centre for not providing a genuine alternative.

The vast majority of those carrying out the carnage have spent all of their meaningful years being taught that teachers or the police cant touch them; they can basically do what they want with minimal come back. I'm sure a few are now consulting their solicitors, through legal aid, about suing the police because they allowed them to set fire to a building and then they twisted their ankle running away. Where's the compo?

Politicians of all hues are as bad as each other. They only care about themselves. As for London...won't someone please think of the Olympics.

As for the olympics...wont someone think of london? People watch daily the millions being spend on something that mostly wont affect them. No way do i condone this, and the police should have nipped this in the bud first time round.

Society needs to look at itself, and since the decline of RESPECT that fell away during the thatcher years, with the advent of more,more,more and i,m allright jack sod the rest. Funny though one of thatchers heros would have sorted it out before it happend enoch powel with a little help from arthur scargill. RULE BRITANIA.......? not me!!!!!!!

It looks like things are getting back to normal tonight but todays BBC interviews in Manchester show the problems.

Lisa Moore, I hope you enjoyed your 5 minutes of fame, you certainly made an impact and to have a facebook page in your honour after such a great interview, you must be so proud. Waynetta slob was back on TV.

As to the man in the interview has he worked a day in his life?

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_EnEo44uTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>