Cllian Sheridan-- I just don't get it!!

The Juggernaut

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Del should definitely stick with Sheridan to partner Fran, and give the guy a chance to settle. Cilla is putting in a good shift at the moment and in time I feel he will start to bang them in.

Haber is the best man IMO to replace him if he tires, and to put a bit of pressure on him to fight for his place.

Marcus should have been on for the last 25mins yesterday. I hope his poor effort against Livi hasn't knocked him too far down the pecking order; I thought he was just trying too hard to impress.

Totally agree with all the above posts. Cillian worked his arse off yesterday. A lot of his off the ball work goes unoticed, such as when he moves out wide to pull defenders away with him to allow space for someone to run through the middle. He is also winning a lot more in the air than he did in his previous spell with us, our third goal yesterday is a fine illustration of that. Get rid of all this negative pish and get behind him, I certainly believe there's plenty of goals in him.

The partnership between Sandaza and himself looks no bad yersel.

Seriously just take a day off!!

Let me guess, Grainger, Novikovas and John Sutton talentless too? Three players I have seen slagged on this forum and dubbed not good enough for St Johnstone. All three were instrumental in destroying a team(Aberdeen 3-0) that we couldn't even beat when they had ten men.

When are you people going to wake up and smell the coffee. We're a wee, with a tiny support and an even smaller budget. Getting our hands on the likes of Sheridan, M. Davidson, Morris and Enkleman is massive. These are all players who I hear getting slagged on here.

Have a word with yourself.

Well said.

The criticism of Sheridan is way over the top since we're only in August amd some players take longer than others to fit in e.g. Alan Main, Roddy Grent etc.. It's sounds like these fans who criticised when we acquired extra midfielders and who thought that no midfielder could possibly get injured, suspended or lose form - very weird people. It's to good have a player from CSKA Sofia as an option. Sandaza has immediately settled.

Give him a chance and we'll see but we need extra forwards as well as midfielders.

He's been excellent in the last two matches and has formed a really exciting partnership with Sandaza. I hope they can both stay fit and we can hold on to both of them for the full season.

Nelly, Nold and myself must have been watching another player! All I saw was a guy that can't header, has a first touch like a tackle and can't be arsed running. His idea of beating a man is to tippy tap the ball straight into his opponents legs!

I think Sandaza being so good takes away from his lack of anything.

I genuinely feel amazed on the rare occasions that he wins a 50/50, you're lucky if he wins 10% of the 50/50's & headers. The only reason we could come up with for him getting a start was that we must be paying him a lot of money!

You know guysI despair at times I aint personally a big Sheridan fan but I am a life long saintee therefore when he plays I support the guy.Sure he does seem to have a bit of a probem.Maybe its confidence I dont know.What really racked me off on Saturday was the chance he blew in second half @ 3 1 that would have been game over.

Maybe couple of away games is best for him can see him and Fran giving St midden loads of problems. Reckon he needs a goal then we may see a totaly different player.

Cillian has bags of skill and his movement,timing and workrate are better than last time,just needs a break in front of goal to get off the mark.Personally thought Jamie's was a better chance than Cillian,but neither scored,so we move on.It was Cillian that kept the ball alive leading up to the penalty,and i'm sure he got a touch on for Frans' second too.

Cillian has bags of skill and his movement,timing and workrate are better than last time,just needs a break in front of goal to get off the mark.Personally thought Jamie's was a better chance than Cillian,but neither scored,so we move on.It was Cillian that kept the ball alive leading up to the penalty,and i'm sure he got a touch on for Frans' second too.

Exactly!! Sadly these points need to be blatantly pointed out to some people. Cillian had a good game and is linking up well with Fran. It is a good partnership which has the potential to be great. Get behind the man comrades.

Nelly, Nold and myself must have been watching another player! All I saw was a guy that can't header, has a first touch like a tackle and can't be arsed running. His idea of beating a man is to tippy tap the ball straight into his opponents legs!

I genuinely feel amazed on the rare occasions that he wins a 50/50, you're lucky if he wins 10% of the 50/50's & headers. The only reason we could come up with for him getting a start was that we must be paying him a lot of money!

A wee bit harsh Ryan,he`s no as bad as that.

I just don't see what other people appear to be seeing in him, I'd rather a player contracted beyond Xmas got a start, whether it be Haber, finnigan or Higgins. I think Haber's heading ability and Sandaza's movement could cause defenders nightmares.

If he proves me wrong I'll be delighted but I can't see it happening. What would people class as Sheridan's strengths?

I could name strengths and weakness for most of the team but I'd struggle to name something Cillian is very good at?

I could maybe understand some criticism if we had lost the last 3 games and had not scored a goal?

I am baffled & annoyed at what people expect from our players?

It's still August & with 10 new players we're really coming onto a game, scoring goals & looking exciting.

But of course that is not good enough for some people. Last time I checked we were still St Johnstone & not Barcelona.

Oh & we beat Celtic at Parkhead for the first time in 13 years.

Well from where I was sitting, I believe it was Cillian who headed on to Sandaza for the third goal. That sort of flick on is something I've seen about half a dozen times in two matches from Sheridan.

Maybe you are not willing to see his strengths, rather than there being none there to see.

Well from where I was sitting, I believe it was Cillian who headed on to Sandaza for the third goal. That sort of flick on is something I've seen about half a dozen times in two matches from Sheridan.

Maybe you are not willing to see his strengths, rather than there being none there to see.

Was defo Cillian who headed it on....showed a good awareness of where his strike partner was

I could maybe understand some criticism if we had lost the last 3 games and had not scored a goal?

I am baffled & annoyed at what people expect from our players?

It's still August & with 10 new players we're really coming onto a game, scoring goals & looking exciting.

But of course that is not good enough for some people. Last time I checked we were still St Johnstone & not Barcelona.

Oh & we beat Celtic at Parkhead for the first time in 13 years.

We probably won some games when Peter Fyhr played, doesn’t mean I had to like him or think he was a good player!!!

Everyone will have their own view on a player. No matter what I think of them they will all get my support once they get onto the pitch in a Saints shirt. However, this doesn’t stop me from forming an opinion on whether I think they’re the best choice to be playing or not. Some on here don’t seem to rate Miller, Davidson or Morris but I think they’re all good team players who’s strengths vastly outweigh their weaknesses – with Sheridan, sorry, but I don’t see this as the case.

In my opinion, his first touch is generally poor, which sometimes results in our attacks breaking/slowing down. For a big guy, he’s poor in the air – reminiscent of Vinny Arkins in the way he jumps and is landing again before the ball reaches him most of the time. I also think he seems to be caught on his heels and seems slow to react to situations at times. He also quite often seems to show a lack of awareness as to what is going on around him and makes the wrong choices. Finally, he doesn’t really seem to make any effort to close down/harry defenders when they have the ball. He runs along fairly close to them, but doesn’t really put them under any pressure. Don’t give me any of the “but he’s a forward, it’s not his job to defend” bollocks. That might’ve been the case 15-20 years ago but not anymore. Even the top teams and players in the world, such as Messi, Rooney etc... work their arses off to close down defenders, as it forces mistakes and puts you immediately on the front foot, usually in attacking areas of the pitch.

Hopefully Sheridan can prove me wrong as he has shown flashes of being a decent player and a good finisher – the flick at the front post against Hibs, the finish away against Aberdeen from Jody’s pass, the goal against the ****, the flick on for Sandaza on Saturday etc. There's definitely occassional signs of a decent player in there somewhere, I'm just hoping we get to see it on a more consistent basis, rather than one decent flick on in a match! Then again, I've thought the same about Gartland for the past few seasons, so maybe I'm just a crap judge of player!

As I said, this is only my opinion of Sheridan, other people’s views will no doubt differ. Just now, I think Haber or even Higgins would probably offer more to the team, but it’s McInnes’ view that matters, not mine! Feel free to disagree, call me a poor supporter, chastise me for having a negative opinion of a Saints player, etc... if you wish!

I think that as a team the signs are good, the new players seem to have gelled quickly and part of that is the partnership of Sheridan and Sandaza. I particularly do not get the lack of effort criticism as on Saturday he was all over the park and as others have said that created space for Sandaza.

We probably won some games when Peter Fyhr played, doesn’t mean I had to like him or think he was a good player!!!

Everyone will have their own view on a player. No matter what I think of them they will all get my support once they get onto the pitch in a Saints shirt. However, this doesn’t stop me from forming an opinion on whether I think they’re the best choice to be playing or not. Some on here don’t seem to rate Miller, Davidson or Morris but I think they’re all good team players who’s strengths vastly outweigh their weaknesses – with Sheridan, sorry, but I don’t see this as the case.

In my opinion, his first touch is generally poor, which sometimes results in our attacks breaking/slowing down. For a big guy, he’s poor in the air – reminiscent of Vinny Arkins in the way he jumps and is landing again before the ball reaches him most of the time. I also think he seems to be caught on his heels and seems slow to react to situations at times. He also quite often seems to show a lack of awareness as to what is going on around him and makes the wrong choices. Finally, he doesn’t really seem to make any effort to close down/harry defenders when they have the ball. He runs along fairly close to them, but doesn’t really put them under any pressure. Don’t give me any of the “but he’s a forward, it’s not his job to defend” bollocks. That might’ve been the case 15-20 years ago but not anymore. Even the top teams and players in the world, such as Messi, Rooney etc... work their arses off to close down defenders, as it forces mistakes and puts you immediately on the front foot, usually in attacking areas of the pitch.

Hopefully Sheridan can prove me wrong as he has shown flashes of being a decent player and a good finisher – the flick at the front post against Hibs, the finish away against Aberdeen from Jody’s pass, the goal against the ****, the flick on for Sandaza on Saturday etc. There's definitely occassional signs of a decent player in there somewhere, I'm just hoping we get to see it on a more consistent basis, rather than one decent flick on in a match! Then again, I've thought the same about Gartland for the past few seasons, so maybe I'm just a crap judge of player!

As I said, this is only my opinion of Sheridan, other people’s views will no doubt differ. Just now, I think Haber or even Higgins would probably offer more to the team, but it’s McInnes’ view that matters, not mine! Feel free to disagree, call me a poor supporter, chastise me for having a negative opinion of a Saints player, etc... if you wish!

Of course you're allowed your views & opinions. I just find it sad that after a pretty excellent 3 games & so near the start of the season that people are highlighting specific players and slagging them off.

The team seem to be developing very nicely but you go ahead & criticise our players.

I'm just enjoying a very positive week & loving what Sandaza is producing.

As they say for some the glass is always half empty.

Of course you're allowed your views & opinions. I just find it sad that after a pretty excellent 3 games & so near the start of the season that people are highlighting specific players and slagging them off.

The team seem to be developing very nicely but you go ahead & criticise our players.

I'm just enjoying a very positive week & loving what Sandaza is producing.

As they say for some the glass is always half empty.

Jeez, I'm starting to feel some sympathy for 101, andrew and anyone else who dare says anything against Saints!!! :) Alright, I maybe took that too far!

I too am loving what Sandaza is producing and the last week as a Saints fan has been the most enjoyable for a long time. And the best thing is Sandaza's not even fully match fit yet! Personally, I think the huge improvement in the quality of the football in the last week has been, in a large part, down to Sandaza. The midfield now have more confidence as they have a player who can hold the ball up, or beat a man, and bring others into the game - something we didn't have previously - which means they are playing further up the park.

Anyone who knows me will attest that I am far from a glass half empty person, however, surely we're still allowed air any views on what we reckon could help to further improve the team? I don't think it's criticising or picking on a player, I'm just still to be convinced by Sheridan for the reasons given previously, however, as I said, once they step onto the pitch in a Saints shirt, every player gets my full support. The thing that frustrates me is that, in glimpses, he shows that there is a good player in there, he just doesn't seem to do it consistently or for prolonged periods of a match. I will be as delighted as anyone if he proves me wrong though!

Sorry, you just got me on a bad day - feeling shit, work crap - so I'm in an argumentative mood! (How the **** do I do an angry face smiley?)