Another shop bites the dust...

sjfc99

When I read this topic it is with a touch off sadness what the place of my birth has become, I remember the days of a bustling town. Having been brought up in the middle off the town across from the old post office I was always  aware how busy the town was, who do we blame local politicians making short sighted decisions as in moving shopping out off the city centre which has also happened over here.

Or is it the mobility of the population that we did not have years ago when you could shoot a cannon down the street in a scheme and would not hit a car where now parking is at a premium.

I remember the days when Perth was the chosen shopping destination off my Fife cousins but no more, having been away so long 47 years in fact as I see my birthplace through fellow wappers eyes and the occasional  visit it is definitely with sadness how I view the Fair City but I will always be proud to say I am from Paiurth  and I am a Saintee 

When I read this topic it is with a touch off sadness what the place of my birth has become, I remember the days of a bustling town. Having been brought up in the middle off the town across from the old post office I was always  aware how busy the town was, who do we blame local politicians making short sighted decisions as in moving shopping out off the city centre which has also happened over here.

Or is it the mobility of the population that we did not have years ago when you could shoot a cannon down the street in a scheme and would not hit a car where now parking is at a premium.

I remember the days when Perth was the chosen shopping destination off my Fife cousins but no more, having been away so long 47 years in fact as I see my birthplace through fellow wappers eyes and the occasional  visit it is definitely with sadness how I view the Fair City but I will always be proud to say I am from Paiurth  and I am a Saintee 

John, changing times and maybe some not so great for our town. BUT ...........what a great place to grow up and be from. I always feel proud when people ask where i'm from and I get the opportunity tell them why.

Edited by AthensSaint

As much as Perth town centre is dying, it is a very common problem right across Britain, but Perth rates/rents do seem to be putting off new businesses from moving in. 

As much as Perth town centre is dying, it is a very common problem right across Britain, but Perth rates/rents do seem to be putting off new businesses from moving in. 

Is it dying? I saw a report the other day about how our High Street had an unusually high percentage of independent retailers. And major retailers, such as H&M, Next, Primark, River Island and New Look have all spent enormous sums of money in the last three years enhancing their presence on the High Street and in St John's Centre and improving the selection for Perth shoppers. Starbucks are about to fill another empty unit soon, apparently.

It certainly could be a lot worse. Go and look at Kirkcaldy High Street as an example. Or Glenrothes. Both similar sized towns - but vastly inferior town centres.

Because they're busy enough to pay their bills/staff/make a profit?

Jamie, I was not aware you were privy to their accounts.

For all you know, they could be up to their eyes in it, unless you can tell us differently.

There again is this only hearsay or a rumour, which has a separate thread from this one.

• 3 months later...

Perth is a great place to live. Absolutely beautiful river running through the centre of the town with lovely walks along it. The two inches. Gorgeous scenery from so many parts. Starbucks just opened, subway opening soon? Lots of great independent retailers/cafés/restaurants/high street chains.

It absolutely pains me when the very people who live here slag it off all the time yet where I work people tell me how lovely perth is and they like to go up to Perth rather than head into Stirling. Perth is much, much nicer than both Dundee and Stirling and only an hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh for the kind of shopping you'd expect from the bigger cities or Airports to get away. For the size of our town, we are lucky to have all that we have and the location with respect the big two cities is excellent.

You see people commenting on the Police bloody Facebook page saying the town is going downhill fast and people "getting stabbed left, right and centre". Give me strength. Idiots.

Perth is a great place to live. Absolutely beautiful river running through the centre of the town with lovely walks along it. The two inches. Gorgeous scenery from so many parts. Starbucks just opened, subway opening soon? Lots of great independent retailers/cafés/restaurants/high street chains.

It absolutely pains me when the very people who live here slag it off all the time yet where I work people tell me how lovely perth is and they like to go up to Perth rather than head into Stirling. Perth is much, much nicer than both Dundee and Stirling and only an hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh for the kind of shopping you'd expect from the bigger cities or Airports to get away. For the size of our town, we are lucky to have all that we have and the location with respect the big two cities is excellent.

You see people commenting on the Police bloody Facebook page saying the town is going downhill fast and people "getting stabbed left, right and centre". Give me strength. Idiots.

Couldn't agree more. Perth is being filled with more junkies, alcoholics and thieving wee lazy gits, but that's a national problem facing the majority of town and city's.

Perth's a shitehole full of paper gangsters and wannabe weegies. The two inches are usually full of junkies or pissed up bairns. Some parts are nice but other parts are just shite you can smell the burning tin foil.