Another shop bites the dust...

sjfc99

I absolutely admire anyone who tries to defend what we've got here in Perth.

To the untrained eye it might appear great, and yes the Inches are lovely and there is a meandering river flowing through the town,which is lovely too.

However, nobody should just ignore the flipside of that, and they especially shouldn't call people Idiots that are prepared to mention the Social issues Perth has.

Of course, we're far from being alone, places much bigger and smaller all over the country have those same issues too.

To the untrained eye it might appear great, and yes the Inches are lovely and there is a meandering river flowing through the town,which is lovely too.

However, nobody should just ignore the flipside of that, and they especially shouldn't call people Idiots that are prepared to mention the Social issues Perth has.

Of course, we're far from being alone, places much bigger and smaller all over the country have those same issues too.

well said.

also i take it saints sam never showed her mates the scaffolded church at the top of the high street , the waverly hotel,scaffolded letham shops  etc. maybe they were all blindfolded.

Perth has it's issues but that is a society problem not exclusive to this town and certainly not representative of the vast majority of people who live here. Perth is not a "shitehole" and it's not true to say people are being "stabbed left, right and centre". People who make sweeping statements like that are ill informed idiots posting on Facebook like they have access to the latest crime statistics for the town. Perth is not suffering from a disproportionate level of violent crime. It is a relatively safe place to live and in fact a highly desirable place to live. I defend Perth because it's great. I choose to see the good things that we have. The bad things we have are evident in any most towns and cities.

well said.

also i take it saints sam never showed her mates the scaffolded church at the top of the high street , the waverly hotel,scaffolded letham shops etc. maybe they were all blindfolded.

These people are not my mates and at no point did I suggest they were. They are people who come in to my work and praise Perth for what it offers that their own small town doesn't. They're willing to drive for forty minutes to enjoy a day out in our town and you think a disused hotel, derelict church and some shops with scaffolding on them makes the place a dump? What about the regeneration along the river front at Tay Street? The two beautiful public parks we have where people flock in their hundreds on sunny days? Dog walkers/runners/cyclists/families all enjoy these vast open spaces. The council have also spent considerable money improving the High Street. I don't find the shops I would buy clothes from in Perth, but I more than enjoy a wander round town on my weekends off.

There is A LOT more good than bad in this town and there are a lot of people who are constantly working painstakingly hard to improve it and attract new business to the town whilst you lot sit at your computers and slag it off.

Edited by SaintSam1884

I'd compare Perth with Inverness and IMO they aren't even comparable. Inverness shits all over Perth. Better shops, food and town centre. Having only lived in Perthshire, I'd never dream of moving back to the area. Ever.

"Shits all over Perth" what does that even mean? Cool speak for I don't have any facts, but it just is! Perth's quality of food can not be doubted. We have several fine eateries that could compete in every city in our country.

Our shops aren't the best but our location makes it easy to go to most good shopping areas in the country in an hour or so or less. I've never understood people judging a place by it's shops. It's not exactly important in a persons life asking as it has all the necessities, which Perth clearly does.

The town centre does have too many empty shops, which should be addressed, but I certainly don't think it looks unpleasant, granted Inverness is a lovely place.

Well you can't compare Perth with Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc as these are larger cities. Inverness, Perth and Stirling are the next category but Inverness is so far ahead of Perth they become incomparable that way.

Eh ? Both Stirling and Inverness are larger cities than Perth as well .

Perth is more the size of Kilmarnock and i know where i'd rather stay .

Eh ? Both Stirling and Inverness are larger cities than Perth as well .

Perth is more the size of Kilmarnock and i know where i'd rather stay .

Don't think so my friend ,Inverness population very similar to Perth and Perths population is a good bit larger than Stirlng.

But got to agree Perth has went downhill recently but that doesn't make me call the place home any less, but I just wish the council would get their fingers out their bureaucrat arses and get on with improving the place instead of talking about it and doing sweet heehaw.

Its not about how it looks when visiting for a day staying there is totally diffrent chasing junkies out your close shooting smack. Its full of wannabe thugs. Place is a dump. Few nice things to look at doesn't change that.

You get things like that in all towns and cities. Even Inverness will have people with drug and alcohol problems who are a menace to the unfortunate people who have to live in close proximity to them. I LIVE in this town. I see it every single day. That's what I judged my opinion that it's a good place to live on. Do you live here at the moment?

Once again I will reiterate that all the things you list are indicative of what is wrong with our society as a whole, not exclusive to Perth and not of epidemic or disproportionate levels.

Inverness has a population of 72,000. Perth is about 44,000. Inverness is also the only sizeable town for 80 miles in any direction. No surprise at all if it has better shops, though if it has better restaurants then good on it as the food scene in Perth is pretty good these days. Some excellent restaurants.

As said above, Perth is a comparable place to the likes of Kilmarnock, Kirkcaldy and Falkirk population wise. Having worked in the latter two places and visitors the first many times I know where I'd rather be, by a considerable distance.

1 Glasgow 590,507 City Glasgow City 55°51′N 4°16′W

2 Edinburgh 459,366 City City of Edinburgh 55°57′N 3°11′W

3 Aberdeen 195,021 City Aberdeen City 57°09′N 2°07′W

4 Dundee 147,285 City Dundee City 56°28′N 2°58′W

5 Paisley 76,834 Town[2] Renfrewshire 55°51′N 4°25′W

6 East Kilbride 74,395 Town South Lanarkshire 55°46′N 4°11′W

7 Livingston 56,269 Town West Lothian 55°53′N 3°31′W

8 Hamilton 53,188 Town South Lanarkshire 55°47′N 4°03′W

9 Cumbernauld 52,270 Town North Lanarkshire 55°56′N 3°59′W

10 Kirkcaldy and Dysart 49,709 Town Fife 56°07′N 3°10′W

11 Dunfermline 49,706 Town Fife 56°04′N 3°26′W

12 Inverness 48,201 City Highland 57°28′N 4°14′W

13 Perth 46,970 City[3] Perth and Kinross 56°24′N 3°26′W

14 Ayr 46,849 Town South Ayrshire 55°27′N 4°38′W

15 Kilmarnock 46,179 Town East Ayrshire 55°36′N 4°29′W

Here's the top 15

You get things like that in all towns and cities. Even Inverness will have people with drug and alcohol problems who are a menace to the unfortunate people who have to live in close proximity to them. I LIVE in this town. I see it every single day. That's what I judged my opinion that it's a good place to live on. Do you live here at the moment?

Once again I will reiterate that all the things you list are indicative of what is wrong with our society as a whole, not exclusive to Perth and not of epidemic or disproportionate levels.

Never said it was only Perth that had these problems just stating Perth is a shitehole in my opinion. Not at the moment but I lived there before and I would never go back. I had less trouble staying in templehall in kirkcaldy.

All you have stated is theres nice things to look at and eat so that makes it not a shitehole and anyone who thinks different is an idiot.

There is stabbings happening in the town iv had mates on the receiving end and been on the recieving end of a couple of bottles myself.

It does have nice things to look at but there are alot nicer things all over the country.

Everyone's entitled to there opinion doesn't make them an idiot.

Lived in Perth in the late sixties early seventies. Loved it then, love it now. Obviously unaware of current social problems etc, now but I'd imagine that society is much the same all over. Aberdeen has massive social deprivation and all the associted problems that go with it. Sometimes hidden by the affluence of the oil industry but this just exacerbates the situation. For all the problems it's still no a bad city though. As a frequent visitor to Perth, I genuinely don't notice much degeneration and enjoy the beauty of the city.

Lived in Perth in the late sixties early seventies. Loved it then, love it now. Obviously unaware of current social problems etc, now but I'd imagine that society is much the same all over. Aberdeen has massive social deprivation and all the associted problems that go with it. Sometimes hidden by the affluence of the oil industry but this just exacerbates the situation. For all the problems it's still no a bad city though. As a frequent visitor to Perth, I genuinely don't notice much degeneration and enjoy the beauty of the city.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about Aberdeen.

It's not a particularly pretty City to look at either and without the Oil Money I'd imagine it would be an even bigger hell hole.

I work in Aberdeen every day and see some sore sights wandering about.

The Council like to point out how important Aberdeen is for the Scottish Economy and how the City is thriving but away from The Oil Mile there appears to be some utter deprivation. A select few will benefit hugely from Oil but the masses appear to have been long forgotten about.

In saying all that, Marischal College is one helluva lovely building :-)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about Aberdeen.

It's not a particularly pretty City to look at either and without the Oil Money I'd imagine it would be an even bigger hell hole.

I work in Aberdeen every day and see some sore sights wandering about.

The Council like to point out how important Aberdeen is for the Scottish Economy and how the City is thriving but away from The Oil Mile there appears to be some utter deprivation. A select few will benefit hugely from Oil but the masses appear to have been long forgotten about.

In saying all that, Marischal College is one helluva lovely building :-)

I work in Aberdeen as well (sadly live here as well) and you're right that without oil money it would be nothing. Sadly the cost of living here doesn't reflect that we don't all work in the oil industry. If I could get a job in Perth I'd be back in a second.

I work in Aberdeen as well (sadly live here as well) and you're right that without oil money it would be nothing. Sadly the cost of living here doesn't reflect that we don't all work in the oil industry. If I could get a job in Perth I'd be back in a second.

I echo the same as lethamsaintee, FairMan and xxLeahSaintxx.

Aberdeen was a nicer/classier City prior to oil. Fairly full emploment in traditional industries and a greater sense of realism. Less fan dancers kicking about. Clean & tidy, countless Britain in Bloom titles.

The point that I was making is that everywhere, in this day & age has social problems. I'd say, personally, that Perth has probably slightly less but there is still a few. It'a lovely City though.

Aye the costs seem very excessive. There's a company in Adelphi that let properties and in some cases they are going for hundreds and hundreds a week for wee pokey one bed flats.

Like you say, some people will afford that no problem, but the vast majority of the population with 'normal' jobs couldn't afford to rent the letter box, let alone the whole flat.

Thankfully I don't need to live in Aberdeen as the travel there each day is included in my working day, but there's no way I could afford to live there anyway I doubt.

Aye the costs seem very excessive. There's a company in Adelphi that let properties and in some cases they are going for hundreds and hundreds a week for wee pokey one bed flats.

Like you say, some people will afford that no problem, but the vast majority of the population with 'normal' jobs couldn't afford to rent the letter box, let alone the whole flat.

Thankfully I don't need to live in Aberdeen as the travel there each day is included in my working day, but there's no way I could afford to live there anyway I doubt.

The price of renting up here is a joke and takes up a fair chunk of my salary. If I was in Perth I would be about £200 a month better off.

Full time permanent teaching jobs are plentiful up here because people are put off by the cost of living but on the flip side in very short supply in Perth so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

I moved here from Dumfries about 18 years ago and wouldn't want to move back. Both are similar types of towns. If you think Perth is bad in all the things mentioned above, then go have a look at Dumfries.  I go back annually to see friends and family but it really is a very depressing place these days and I look forward to coming back "home".

• 1 month later...