Another shop bites the dust...

sjfc99

So Monsoon went due to the high costs imposed by the council on their business tax, the Playhouse has said it will have to close if a new cinema opens up in 'The Mill Quarter' (ffs what a stupid name) and the IMAX people have said they will not transfer it to there from the Playhouse so this council are losing us another innovation. Then we will be busy on here with all the shops closing down in the centre, Debenhams are the next to go I think.....

Plus we will lose all those parking spaces and will have to put up with another exorbitant multi storey.

Edited by Kevin

I actually think the idea of opening a new cinema is plain stupid. The Playhouse has clearly invested in recent years with introduction of IMAX and the cafe. It's a great wee cinema and the staff are very friendly and helpful. You'd simply be closing one business to open another.

Source? I find it hard to believe that business rates are too high for the likes of Monsoon yet dross like Shoezone, Officers Club and some phone case shop can manage.

A fair number of the chain stores that have left Perth have blamed the high business rates as being part of the reason they have left.

Seen that Officers Club shut down.. I thought the economy is recovering? They say today is better than pre crash in 2007. Certainly don't see it like this or feel it.  Shops moving out as no one is spending money and in fear of the next round of redundancy.  Feel for the staff!

Seen that Officers Club shut down.. I thought the economy is recovering? They say today is better than pre crash in 2007. Certainly don't see it like this or feel it.  Shops moving out as no one is spending money and in fear of the next round of redundancy.  Feel for the staff!

Another crash on its way big business worried, whos to blame for this one ???.

Blue Inc who owned them went into admin and the receivers who are restructuring the company have cast off the Perth store and you can guarantee that the rates will be one of the reasons.

Edited by Tranmere Saintee