Monaco remembered

Cagey

Watching UEFA Super Cup brings back memories of when we were there with Saints.

How many British teams have played there & how many British fans have sampled the atmosphere of Monaca.

Many thanks to Saints for giving us that experiance & memories. There are many bad times supporting a diddy team but times like that & Parkhead on Sunday make up for it.

there may well have been a big police presence at the monaco game, but i have never experienced a warmer welcome at any away game.

the rival fans, police and locals were superb (the only trouble i can remember was when a scumdee fan turned up in the square and tried to incite a reaction).

ive been back several times, and just wish i could afford to live there

29 hours on a bus to get there. Driving down a 3 lane motorway in the south of France and seeing cars go past with saints scarfs out the windows. I will never forget that.

The paparazzi bar in Nice the night before. Watching the buns get gubbed by valencia, and watching what was going on upstairs :wink:

i was there.

wee john was spot on what he said back then.something along the lines of ,we know all the lads that went to games home and away and suffered the downers in the 70's and the 80's especially , this was our payback.hes a diplomat (ha ha) but he hit a nerve.what a payback monaco away was .thanks john.

all the troops in that square.by that i mean my mates from the early days .funny where was singapore ?

talking to patsy on the phone,i knew how ye felt.shit ye couldnae make it chief.

the dear beer and food.cheap carry outs though.

Stotting along the promenade at Nice at god knows what time after many brews, and the saints crowd that had gathered got broken up by the police.

Not remembering our Hotel name, and meeting up with some saints fans that started chasing taxis with palm tree branches.

Every bar in Monaco littered with Saints fans and every time something blue went past another saints song would start.

It was a truly amazing experience, and hopefully not a once in a lifetime one. :)

Stotting along the promenade at Nice at god knows what time after many brews, and the saints crowd that had gathered got broken up by the police.

Not remembering our Hotel name, and meeting up with some saints fans that started chasing taxis with palm tree branches.

Every bar in Monaco littered with Saints fans and every time something blue went past another saints song would start.

It was a truly amazing experience, and hopefully not a once in a lifetime one. :)

Aye, being chased by the rozzers, down the front.

Being in the square when the team bus went past, brings a smile to my face now.

Some yokels having a wee bit fisty cuffs at the refreshment stall behind the seats in the ground.

My " are you watching dundee scum flag " :)

Lifted at dens 3 days later for having the same flag

Going down to some restaurant by the marina to get a very scots response of "the chef has gone home for the day".

Getting hauled back by security inside the ground so they could take my jesters hat off to see if i had anything under it.

Managing to get one of the match posters from one of the ticket offices.

Alan Main's world class performance

Tam Van Der Ham's illusive bus.

The chants of in your monaco slums.

Having Stewart Duff ignore us as we waited and watched the team bus come in, but have the team wave to us and Jim Weir come over and sign autograph for us.

Being really jealous of the girl who was on our flight to Nice sitting with her saints top on in business class with her dad.

Meeting Ian McPhee and the forfar chairman who said they were on a scouting trip.

The look on a poor tourists face when he walked past a group of us in the old town wearing a dark blue t-shirt like that of the current Dundee top and getting various songs sung at him.

And the really bemused look on the face of this african boy selling watches and such out a blue and white plastic bag, when the same group got up and in unison starting singing "oh miguel" and doing his goal celebration.

It really was a great few days away.

Here are a few pics

i-HFC8BMp-S.jpg

i-VhHX2Kf-S.jpg

i-ssxwNtZ-S.jpg

i-mKGvFJb-S.jpg

Edited by sjfc99