Martial arts in Perth/Perthshire..

T.H.C

Theres only really Judo and Karate in Perth.

Kickboxing at Tulloch is more CV based rather than drilling techniques etc and they have no ring and i dont think any bags yet.

Railway club boxing - horrific if you actually want to go anywhere with boxing, old guy in charge can be pretty nasty to some of the younger guys and foreigners that attend. You only really get a boxing based fitness/ciruit.

To be fair your best bets are out with Perth - Dundee has Shooters MMA (very well run club with different classes each night), they also have TNT Kickboxing which is more K1 based rather than point fighting.

Fife - loads of good clubs, Urban Distrubance, Unity as well as a couple of good Thai Boxing gyms such as Carnage and the one above Unity MMA.

Edinburgh - Rick Youngs Black Belt Academy (very very highly rated & trained owner/instructer)

Glasgow - Griphouse is good, top level coaching at boxing, bjj, thia etc and there are loads of others gyms through there depending on what your after.

But if you want to train proper, good equipment, gyms/clubs that put on shows/seminars etc dont train in Perth!

/\ thats why the Karate does well here, dont really need much apart from a hall and maybe some pads and top level coaches ( and the judo guys are doing well but im sure a permanently matted floor would make a massive difference!)

http://www.smaconline.co.uk/

New venue just recently opened in tullibody, Not that far from Perth if you have transport.

Perths crying out for a dedicated all round facility like that - i know of a couple people who have looked in to it but the unit costs/rents are crazy money before even equipping the place.

I know its well worth travelling out of Perth for decent training but it soon adds up if you cant arrange another 2 or 3 regulars to split the travell costs!

Perths crying out for a dedicated all round facility like that - i know of a couple people who have looked in to it but the unit costs/rents are crazy money before even equipping the place.

I know its well worth travelling out of Perth for decent training but it soon adds up if you cant arrange another 2 or 3 regulars to split the travell costs!

Potential revenue stream for St Johnstone to exploit?

• 4 weeks later...

any1 know what '' Savate'' is? or '' Pancares''?..both martial arts. the savate ressembles thai kick boxing and is widely used by the C.R.S.(riot cops),here in France. Pancares is instructed in the Gendrearmerie (para military police) is a sport that combines wrestling boxing and kicking...remember that in real life a fight is over with in 3 minute(if you dont like wrestling, try Judo..imo its best to practise several martial arts and combien all (its what i have done for my son..and he is hard as nails..thats an under statement sorry to say.

I saw an advert for Krav Maga at the new campus in Muirton but don't know if they are just fishing for people to start a club or not.

There used to be Lau Gar Kung Fu also (I did it years ago) at the County but it's prbably moved if it still runs. I also did Ju Jitsu for a while at Letham but that is not ongoing anymore.

I saw an advert for Krav Maga at the new campus in Muirton but don't know if they are just fishing for people to start a club or not.

There used to be Lau Gar Kung Fu also (I did it years ago) at the County but it's prbably moved if it still runs. I also did Ju Jitsu for a while at Letham but that is not ongoing anymore.

hi there, jujisu ongoing at bells sports centre on a tuesday night, its ran by bob ross who is director of the scottish ju jitsu association

sc

How much is that class? And is it Gi or no Gi?

hello, they are currently doing a half price membership for the year which you need for the club , this its £17.50 usually £35, think this offer is only for couple of weeks. You can go and try for couple of sessions and for an aduly its £4.50 thereafter???? you do not need a gi to participate but obviously if you progress then up to you, i am currently doing a project at my school that consists of 6 different martial arts in 6 weeks,, i will pm you a link to our project and have a look at our vidoes, ju jitsu is week 2.

sc