Televised Premiership matches at 3pm on Saturdays?

Baldy Marc

I know there was a woman down south taking it very far through the courts. Maybe there's been a conclusion of sorts

No conlusion to the case until 4 October. For those interested, you can search the news outlets for Karen Murphy and her European Court of Justice case info will appear. The Guardian and the Telegraph have been on top of the story the best from what I have seen of it.

I was under the impression that under the test case mentioned above, it has been already been proved that pubs are within there rights to use whichever tv provider (in the EU) that they wished.

I presume that the judgement on the 4th of Oct is some kind of appeal against the original judgement?

It's all above board if the first judgment is anything to go by.

I noticed that the pub that I went to near Hampden prior to the Lithuania game had Irish Sky tv, presumably for that purpose.

There are two issues here. Pubs who showed "Sky sports " on dodgy boxes were prosecuted and fined by Sky for loss of revenue. Pubs using foreign feeds were threatened by EPL etc for what they thought was breach of copyright. What MAY happen if court case goes right way is pubs will be able to show matches legit on foreign feeds but Sky wont be allowed to broadcast in this country. Pure greed by Sky and the football authorities have created this monster.

er, not really.

While she was proved to be right in that Sky and the EPL can't stop you from watching via a subscription purchased abroad, there was quite a few BUTS to the ruling.

It was ruled that there is a difference between purchasing it for personal use and for a public audience. While it was ruled that the EPL can't hold copyright over the game itself, it can over any 'non game' related images, such as music, opening sequences, commentary and any in game graphics displaying branding, advertising or stats. So while a pub could legally and legitimately screen the game itself, the EPL could prevent them from showing any EPL owned content such as branding etc. This basically makes it impossible to show to a public audience (eg, in a pub).

I would put this down as a win for the EPL and SKY and a big loss for other regional content such as region locked DVD's etc.