new manager

bankfoot saint

I wasn't having a go at you personally. Lots of folk are saying it. I'm just surprised at how much of a must have it's suddenly become. Like you, I'm just expressing an opinion.

It's become a must for some people because there isn't an obvious candidate to replace Del. So people are clutching at straws for when it comes to ruling people out or pushing them forward as the number one candidate, so the 'contacts' issue has become that one factor to split the potential names up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've picked up, Jody's contacts are founded in his Chelsea days and sound good on Twitter but as Radford has pointed out, how good is being best pals with Ferdinand and Terry going to help Saints? How many has he from Rotherham, Leeds or Millwall...apart from Del of course!

Also, with them being from his youth, it helps show that a lot of friendships made in your early years last. Sheerin was at Southampton for about 5 years when he was younger. Which of us know how many lasting friendships he forged or folk he keeps in touch with from then? He also had a short spell in Scandinavia. From what some people are saying you'd think he spent his entire life in Perth.

Sheerin used his contacts at Saints well as that was what was needed at the time. We were his last club, an SPL club and he was going to manage a fourth division club less than an hour away. Bit of a no brainer really.

I just find it very disrespectful and short sighted for people to say that a guy who has been in football for about 20 years, played in more than one country and for a few decent clubs hasn't enough contacts when they don't really have a clue what his phone book is like.

All true blue, Chick the Prick's phone book is full of contacts but would he make a good manager

I reckon David Weir is the man for the job as he seems to fit all of Geoff's criteria but I'm more worried Geoff's due a bad appointment along the lines of McLelland, Clark and Connelly!!!!!!!!!

Agree ticks all the boxes for me:

Contacts *tick*

Enthusiasm & Motivation *tick*

Knowledge of league *tick*

Played at higher level *tick*

Respected *tick*

Professional *tick*

Leader *tick

Decent with Media *tick*

well except one.. managerial experience

I personnally think Jody would be a bad appiontment and as much I think Sheerin will be a good manager he isn't there yet and I wouldn't want to see another Connolly era. Think Jim Jefferies is a safe-ish appiontment but I have a feeling Del would point out a successor to GB, if he pick them or not we'll see.

Contacts *tick*

Respected *tick*

Professional *tick*

Leader *tick

Decent with Media *tick*

I personnally think Jody would be a bad appiontment and as much I think Sheerin will be a good manager he isn't there yet and I wouldn't want to see another Connolly era. Think Jim Jefferies is a safe-ish appiontment but I have a feeling Del would point out a successor to GB, if he pick them or not we'll see.

Does he not have exactly the same managerial experience as Coyle and McInnes?

Whether a new guy is experienced or not, the fact is there is no magic ingredients for choosing a new manager.

I would expect Geoff to stick with a policy of taking on an ambitious young guy with good knowledge of the game. Its served him well on his last 2 appointments, also Sturrock came here with no previous managerial experience.

Edited by Blues Brother

cant believe saints fans would want him. the ammount of times we lost to rangers and dundee due to this little chheating scumbag still infuriates me!

James grady anyone?

I was WAITING on this comment. What does it have to do with his potential to manage a football team.

How many times did Saints fall foul of OC's goals! Hang the guy for playing for his team!

nothing to do with playing football its the manner in which he played the game and i dont want to watch a team that cheats

It's been proven recently that cheating wins games and is acceptable. Being the honest man gets you nowhere in terms of points or prizes. Until it becomes an instant multiple match ban for cheating then I'm all for watching a team that cheats.

Contacts *tick*

Respected *tick*

Professional *tick*

Leader *tick

Decent with Media *tick*

And another,personality,he'd bore the tits aff me if he gets the nod!We've been spoilt with our last two bosses in that they spoke so well with the media,but Davie is as dour as fu**!

Edited by dave mc

Only one man for the job Paul Sturrock

interesting point this, although I hear he's not keeping so well. He might be keen to move back home, but would we accept him after the "Judas" episode?

Someone mentioned Alan Main. I can't see that ever happening. Didn't Geoff once describe him as a trouble maker?

I'll have to for once in my life agree with the Sunday Mail. Gary Bollan is ready for the next level and has done his time through the leagues.

That is assuming Tony Doc is going with Del. Would he not want a crack at it ?

I think he'd go too, but I also think Geoff would try to convince him to step up. It's the most straightforward choice from a financial perspective. If he did step up then it would be more logical to bring Jody or Callum in as assistant instead of straight in at the deep end.

Outwith the club, i'd love to see Dasovic back here, but I'm far from convinced he'd be interested. Could be a great move for Saints though. Some great players over there, and his involvement with the national youth team must have given him a great list of contacts. He would bring a more offensive style I think.

Right here goes with all the information computed last night and taking on Geoff ideal manager i think it would be between David Weir and Neil MaCann.

Neil MaCann is as near to a blue print as del even born in the same area scotland.

Now Coyle gave Geoff his preforance for Del to be appointed. and MaCann hung about the directors box for a while last season and was reportabley training with us around the Brentford episode. Roddy has taken over his seat in the directors box just now but surley not a contender for the main job anyway, David Weir will return to mersey side where his family still stays, Garry Bolan imo burnt his bridges during the livingstone signing saga

Enjoyed reading some of the posts made in this thread since yesterday evening and lots of points I agree with and names I think are decent ones to throw about. Think largely the important criteria have all been mentioned. What I'd say though is I think (lack of) contacts can be overcome if the guy is an exceptional coach who can get the most out of average players. Someone like John McGlynn (who I'm in no way touting) would maybe fall into that category. Also agree though it's hard for us to gauge who has what contacts and the assumptions about Sheerin maybe aren't fair.

Above is one point I was going to make though, does David Weir not still live down in England? I'd suggest there maybe shows a reluctance to move back up here?

Another couple of names I'll throw in without really giving them too much support are Gary Locke and Colin Cameron. The latter is doing well at Cowdenbeath and has had a similar career to McInnes and Coyle.

interesting point this, although I hear he's not keeping so well. He might be keen to move back home, but would we accept him after the "Judas" episode?

Someone mentioned Alan Main. I can't see that ever happening. Didn't Geoff once describe him as a trouble maker?

He has MS but on TV last night he was looking quite fit(ish) for a big man.