new manager

bankfoot saint

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why?? because he is ex Dundee??

No, IMO He does not have the ability, Experience, or indeed the Knowledge of scottish football to be of benifit to us.

Craig Brewster, Gavin Rae, Ray Stewart, Ian Redford, Grahme Alexander, Danny Griffen, and on and on all washed up players like Dailly would not be happy with any of them:?:

No, IMO He does not have the ability, Experience, or indeed the Knowledge of scottish football to be of benifit to us.

3rd most capped scottish internationalist.

Played for Rangers and Dundee United

Think he won at least one championship medal at Ibrox

Plenty experience of top class football under various managers

Has I understand doen some coaching

.Agreed,don`t understand why his name is even mentioned.

Mainstand. How does playing for Rangers & Dundee Utd qualify him for being Saints manager ?.

Spoke to one of our first team players who played the 90 mins at Tannadice, in the gym on Sunday morning. Don't know if it's true (and I've spoken to him a few times before), but apparently none of the players have any clue about who the next manager might or could be - he was actually asking me about who we (fans) wanted or were thinking about! We bandied about a few names and it seemed clear that it would probably NOT be one of the old heads that are always mentioned. "The Chairman probably couldn't work with him" was our player's response to the suggestion of one experienced ex-SPL manager...

No more information than we have I know, but interesting to get a senior player's view from the inside.

If you're talking about Jim Jeffries vs Geoff Brown it is nothing new, many of us have been saying all week there would be a personality clash there and can't see him being in contention...no matter how often he is whoring himself about the press.

Only Geoff (and probably a few members of the board) will know who we are seeking to replace Del. All this speculation and rumour is just guff being banded about. Extremely boring! I trust Geoff. :)

The last couple of posts have raised an interesting hypothesis. If the best man for the job just happened to be someone GB "couldn't work with" would we all just be happy to stand by and let the best man get bypassed. IMO, GB can GTF. Put up with second best just because of GB who seems to be on a par with God to a lot of people? Nah.

The last couple of posts have raised an interesting hypothesis. If the best man for the job just happened to be someone GB "couldn't work with" would we all just be happy to stand by and let the best man get bypassed. IMO, GB can GTF. Put up with second best just because of GB who seems to be on a par with God to a lot of people? Nah.

In your opinion...

Not being critical here, but I'd imagine a team manager who the Chairman could work with is absolutely crucial to the smooth running of the club. The Chairman has seen several managers come and go, and is bound to have a decent feel for what sort of personality is likely to work for the good of the club as a business, or not.

Speaking personally, the last time I hired someone, I felt that two candidates had something to offer the position, albeit having different qualities. One came across as arrogant and a bit self opinionated, the other was eager to learn and quietly went about their business. For the good of the business, guess which one got the job?

If GB doesn't get on with him then he's not the best man for the job.

End of story.

If the best man for the job just happened to be someone GB "couldn't work with" would we all just be happy to stand by and let the best man get bypassed. IMO, GB can GTF.

Interesting to see how your superstar manager would do with a club like Saints minus GB. We'd be relegated within 2 years. It's a miracle in todays world that Saints are even operating soundly considering our shocking support and total lack of outside investment. It's testamony to the work GB has done that our bigger neighbours are whinging about the strength and depth of our squad.

We only have 2,500 fans going to games nowadays.

GB is the most important man at Saints - I'd wager we'd be out the game without him over the last 20 years.

If GB doesn't get on with him then he's not the best man for the job.

End of story.

Pish. GB is the chairman, he's there to make the big decisions. If he's not a big enough man to appoint the best manager purely due to his own personal differences with him then that's not right. How much does the chairman need to be involved with what the manager does. He shouldn't be having all that much to do with the manager. There is more to St Johnstone than GB.

Pish. GB is the chairman, he's there to make the big decisions. If he's not a big enough man to appoint the best manager purely due to his own personal differences with him then that's not right. How much does the chairman need to be involved with what the manager does. He shouldn't be having all that much to do with the manager. There is more to St Johnstone than GB.

That's pish I'm afraid. How many big news bust ups and disagreements between owners/chairmen and managers in England (and Sctland) have led to the total downfall of teams on the park. Newcastle being the most recent headline example. The Chairman is crucial to the club, and his relationship with the manager is equally important to the way the club and team perform. GB has made Saints probably the best run club in Britain, in a climate where even the invincible clubs are facing economic crisis. That strength comes from his business sense and a mutual respect throughout the clubs directors and staff. GB will simply not employ anyone who will not contribute to the continued betterment of the club as a business as well as a football team, as controlled by him and his board, regardless of their managerial skills.

Have to disagree. GB would be the manager's boss, so surely it's for the best that the two of them have a healthy relationship. If there's friction between them, then that's only going to be a negative. Previous managers who have done well here have all cited GB's support and guidance as playing a big part in that - so clearly there's a lot to be said for that team working well together. Totally agree with others who have said that if a candidate can't work well with Geoff Brown, then they're simply not the right candidate.

I'd have thought that this is one of the most important relationships at the club. They have to work closely in terms of the overall running of the club. Perhaps not on the field or in training etc. however, I suspect the working relationship is a lot closer than you would imagine.

How much does the chairman need to be involved with what the manager does.

Lots and lots and lots.

He shouldn't be having all that much to do with the manager.

They should be working as a team. The clubs where this doesn't happen are the ones that fail.

There is more to St Johnstone than GB.

It's debatable if there would be a St Johnstone without Geoff Brown. He can do what he likes.

Interesting quote from Jody about Steve Brown from todays BBC site:

"I'm pencilled in to see him. What that will entail I don't know yet. He's asked to see me and we'll see what he has to say, whether he wants to talk to me about this job or whatever."

Job offer, new contract or maybe just asking for his thoughts?