MEMORIES OF PERTH 1960s

PETER/BILL

At the top of the Pow was a baker's that also sold broken biscuits, It was next to a wee parkette that had swings and stuff. The Pow must have been a half-decent area a one time because there were apple and pear orchards around there, but in the late forties and early fifties it was pretty run down. Next to the bakery, or near to it at least, was a wee shop where we went for our sweeties. Along the road toward the Station there was a warehouse of some sort where we would oftem pick up the odd green banana which was a luxury in a time when you got an orange once a year in your stocking. I'd blether to Beenie Campbell (or, more likely, listen to Beenie blether,) I'd believe her promise to bring me comics the very next day.

'Round the corner and down the hill to Marshall Place where there were houses whose back gardens face the inch. Loads of walnuts, apples, plums and pears (if you were fast enough). All the wrought-iron fencing had been cut off for the war effort so it was easy to get into the orchards, but not so easy to get out because of the slope. If the dug was chasing, you had to leap over the walls, timing it just right not to wipe out.

Then across the Inch, exchanging abuse and threats with the Edinborough Rd. crowd like Atholl Henderson and his mates. Then back to the Shore Rd.

I guess I've just described a day in the life, morning to night. What a nice day it was, too. So there.

Smudge

• 9 months later...

Ronnie and Andy had the Mulligan & Patterson car repair business in [Longcauseway?] Perth - "u bend 'em we mend 'em" and I think they both emigrated to Calgary, Canada. The last time I saw Erle Jacobson he was working for Struan Motors.

Well remembered! Found this in a Saints programme from 1972:

19a45h.jpg

• 8 months later...

I remember Mr Lunan Central District,a big gentle giant of a man hardly said a word to anyone, a lot different from Mrs Mclennan,Cruella took lessons from her.

Buying a tanners worth of broken biscuits at woolies.

Summer time at Moncrieff Island (learned to swim there,brothers threw me in til i learned).

Watching the cows,sheep and pigs being slaughtered at the shore road.

Taking auld scrap to Davie Bands then going back in at night taking it, then getting your mates to take it back a couple of days later.

Braw summer days up Craigie Hill.

the old woolies with the wooden floors we are now in contact with nick soave son paul

tony tayler jimmy carlin tommy ironside from frierton and south inch ter we used to go down

by the harbour as my granny used to live in friarton building my brother worked for robertsons bacon factory near harbour

gordon bain keith bain athol street used to play snooker at snooker club craig anderson

I remember Mr Lunan Central District,a big gentle giant of a man hardly said a word to anyone, a lot different from Mrs Mclennan,Cruella took lessons from her.

Buying a tanners worth of broken biscuits at woolies.

Summer time at Moncrieff Island (learned to swim there,brothers threw me in til i learned).

Watching the cows,sheep and pigs being slaughtered at the shore road.

Taking auld scrap to Davie Bands then going back in at night taking it, then getting your mates to take it back a couple of days later.

Braw summer days up Craigie Hill.

gordon bain keith bain athol street used to play snooker at snooker club craig anderson

We all went to the BBs at Letham Primary School just after it was built...Mr Phillips and Mr Hood ran it - really good guys...  Emphasis on playing football as opposed to marching and that stuff.  Think the BBs moved from St Johns Kirk in town to Letham probably at the end of the 60s. 

Edited by Coltrane

I was in the 9th when i was about 6 or 7, St Leonards, now an Auction House!! We used to meet in a hall in the New Row.

Joined the 17th when i was about 13 or 14. Played football with BabyChunder and our mate Bobson about 73-75.

Also played for Perth City Boys Club U16 then Jeanfield U16. later played for PC Bob Menzies at St. Johnstone U18 then Tulloch U18's (great side we had, Sandy Watt, Choccy McEwan, Alan Anderson, and loads more Letham and tulloch lads).

I was in the 9th when i was about 6 or 7, St Leonards, now an Auction House!! We used to meet in a hall in the New Row.

Joined the 17th when i was about 13 or 14. Played football with BabyChunder and our mate Bobson about 73-75.

Also played for Perth City Boys Club U16 then Jeanfield U16. later played for PC Bob Menzies at St. Johnstone U18 then Tulloch U18's (great side we had, Sandy Watt, Choccy McEwan, Alan Anderson, and loads more Letham and tulloch lads).

My funniest memory of the fitba was when you were playing at Seven Acres and that horny black dug was at that wee boy, and you told him to lie down on all fours, and the dug thought Christmas had come. Ref had to stop the game as everybody was laughing at the dug "gittitoffammmmmeeeeee" screamed the wee boy.

ye could drive doon the high street and up the old high street.

============

And before the breathyliser, on the pavement as well.

Of course you know that already, having taken the route on the way hame fae the boozer.

Edited by HOODLUM65

I have some decent images of Perth in the 60's saved to my comp,but for the life of me i cant find the post image function on here anymore for some reason,the image button just wants an external url address,never had a problem before........Or am i just having one of my usual "Thicko days"

:?

Chips you need to upload your photo to one of the online services like Flickr, Photobucket, and so on. They give you a URL to put in the box for your post.

Cheers fella,im positive that the site once had a "post image" button that allowed straight from your comp,maybe im just imagining that though. I'll make up a photobucket account.

A wee wooden shack like fish & chip shop on Glover Street near where Booker cash & carry is now. Steps down off St Leonard's bridge on to the Perth station platforms...no platform ticket required.

Cura's ice cream shop up the old high street.

A wee shop beside where the fire station is now...sold newspapers & sweets.