Hunters/Muirton 1970's and 80's

shireypirey

I ve told this story a few times but not sure on here.About the mid-80s I was sent along to the Muirton shops to get chewing gum for my dad's mate Andy Duff whilst they sat in the saints club under the stand.I got more or less to the shops just passing the phone box when this old lady with a rug on her shoulders(I know,what she was doing I'll never know) flew at me.I managed to dodge her and ran into the middle of the road where the wee island is.As I went one way she ran the other to try and stop me.To say I was petrified is understatement.After a while she gave up and I took off back down to-wards the ground where the adults were in fits of laughter when I told them why I did nt manage to get his chewy.Still scarred to this day:razz:.

I ve told this story a few times but not sure on here.About the mid-80s I was sent along to the Muirton shops to get chewing gum for my dad's mate Andy Duff whilst they sat in the saints club under the stand.I got more or less to the shops just passing the phone box when this old lady with a rug on her shoulders(I know,what she was doing I'll never know) flew at me.I managed to dodge her and ran into the middle of the road where the wee island is.As I went one way she ran the other to try and stop me.To say I was petrified is understatement.After a while she gave up and I took off back down to-wards the ground where the adults were in fits of laughter when I told them why I did nt manage to get his chewy.Still scarred to this day:razz:.

Wasn't just the adults who were pissing themselves laughing.

• 4 weeks later...
my brothers and sisters were brought up in 26c hunters crescent, i was about 6 months when my parents moved to carnegie to be on the back fence of the beloved muirton park and they are still there to this day, they moved there about 1977

Soup

I was in 26d some years earlier. Are you familiar with Alexander's buses?

I would fain be a cliff.

Smudge

Shug + Fammy young shug + heather

Conn John James etc etc etc

Bobby + Karen Blythe...was in the same class at the goodly burn Miss Hair as teacher the bitch.

Kevin Ian Ricky

Famy and Shug Lowther. Conn, Jimmy and John (rip) Kelly. And me old mate, Dennis. Nelly Mclean and some several children. She kept the cleanest house I have ever seen. We are related. (Cheers, Nell, 'me ould duck). Tarzan McLean up the next close. Avril Lackie doon the stairs, with her sister, Wendy. Her Dad was a taxi driver and her older brother (Ron, I think had a feckin' big Alsation dug). Avril also had a younger brother with a coagie heid'. I'm sorry I don't remember his name because he was a good kid. Ah, Crish O'malley, Avril. 'Loved you then. Love you now.

Big George O'Brian, Kitty-Corner to us. He wasn't that big, but he seemed so at the time.

At 24 was Josie. Josie, I won't fail ya, if I can only catch ya. I didn't. Her Dad, Mr. Sinclair, worked with the 'Swifts when I was training for them.

The Clephanes a couple of closes doon. Jeanie, and the rest. And Fay. Didn't catch her either. (There seems to be a theme here about my success with women!)

Bob Kennedy and his family were there and there about in Ruthven Terrace with his wife, Margaret Townsend 'Had a Sunday breakfast at his brother's after a gemme at Muirton. Cue: "Bus stop, wet day, please share my umbrella." (The Hollies). So I did.

Jimmy and Liz Law were in the next close, I think. Weegies, but good with it. Jimmy Park, Parkie. Between us, we put away a lot of V.P. We'd show up at Muirton, shouting the odds and looking for aggro and, now and again, finding it. Brian Guild, Guildie, at 15 Hunter's.

A spectacular night at some ex-serviceman's club doon the Lade with Jimmy Law, Danny Goldie (McGoldrick) Guildie and me. Some glasses were broke, some tables were turned. The fifth member of our party was the one who made the kick-off of that particular shindig. I can't remember his name but he was something else. Interesting ending to that night, too.

The McCormicks. The thises' and thatses'. June. I remember a dark-haired, lovely girl who was so beautiful that the studs of Hunters could only insult her. They called her 'titless' because she was not busty, but my, oh my.

Across the way way, Alice. Alice Rylance. Alice grabbed me by the heart when I was 12, and she still had me until she moved to Fife. Cheers, Alice, you will always be my "Tootsie."

I could go on to the rest of the scheme, but I won't. Ruthven Ave., Ruthven Place. All in all, it would be a great book, but I'm not going to write it. Not tonight, anyway.

I have to end with my two favourites: Cully. Junie Meikelum.

Griff rest 'ya, Andrew McCully, probably the best Saintee in history.

June, if I had stayed in Scotland, I would have stayed for you. 'Missed that one also.

Someone should write this down before it all disappears. Zig? Ainslie?

I'll probably get slagged for all of this, but the person who posed the original post might well be interested.

Smudge

Big George O'Brian, Kitty-Corner to us. He wasn't that big, but he seemed so at the time.

My old man and George were pals for years, O'B died not all that long ago. I still see his son Steve kicking about the town sometimes. My old man used to paint canvases of the Lisbon Lions etc and Steve still has one. Will always have a soft spot for Celtic and don't care who ****ing knows it.

I'm sure you'd know my dad, he delivered coal for the Co-op for most of his working life.

I get a wee sneaky feeling my old man was less for moving from Hunters than my maw was. :sad:

my mum and dad both worked as clippies for Alexanders...we were in Ruthen Ave..i say 24a with the soupys cousins one floor above,but he says 26..not so important tho

Soup said Hunters', Andy, just around the coorner from 24 Ruthven. When I came home, I stayed with relatives on Ruthven. Right across from Ruthven place. A few doors down, away from the fitba' pitch, were the McConnels(sp). Billy was a good buddy. His Dad hada paper shop on the town. Below my Aunt's were an Irish family, and Packy Quinn was a tight buddy before I left for good. The 'Houle lived at the corner. In Ruthven place, there was Dot Winton and Anne Baxter. Very exotic in the day because they had Canadian accents for a while when they first came. I was daft for Dot but, of course..... Crish O'Malley, I fell in love so easily in those days. 'Haven't changed much. My best friend when we were kids was Johnny Allen. We left Perth on the same day, he to the Air Force and me to the Merch.

I have a boatload of memories from those daysand they seem shining but I also remember it pissin' rain, too. As Ziggy says of his Dad, places like that get into the blood. There were so many people in such a confined space that you had lots of choices for friendsand enemies. It wasn't that 'cleeky', although there some who thought themselves that wee bit better than everyone else. That's true anywhere though.

Smudge

Edited by mapleleaf
misnomer

the "Nelly",you cited earlier...did she have a massive pair of bristols and did she dye her hair blond?...

If Nelly dyed her hair blonde, Griff knows where she found the time with around thirteen kids. As to the bristols; try having thirteen children, Andy. Yours would grow too. She was a lovely young woman who was widely desired when a teen.

Nelly became a woman who had an inner loveliness that she tended to keep hidden, but it was there for those she cared for.

Smudge

Soup said Hunters', Andy, just around the coorner from 24 Ruthven. When I came home, I stayed with relatives on Ruthven. Right across from Ruthven place. A few doors down, away from the fitba' pitch, were the McConnels(sp). Billy was a good buddy. His Dad hada paper shop on the town. Below my Aunt's were an Irish family, and Packy Quinn was a tight buddy before I left for good. The 'Houle lived at the corner. In Ruthven place, there was Dot Winton and Anne Baxter. Very exotic in the day because they had Canadian accents for a while when they first came. I was daft for Dot but, of course..... Crish O'Malley, I fell in love so easily in those days. 'Haven't changed much. My best friend when we were kids was Johnny Allen. We left Perth on the same day, he to the Air Force and me to the Merch.

I have a boatload of memories from those daysand they seem shining but I also remember it pissin' rain, too. As Ziggy says of his Dad, places like that get into the blood. There were so many people in such a confined space that you had lots of choices for friendsand enemies. It wasn't that 'cleeky', although there some who thought themselves that wee bit better than everyone else. That's true anywhere though.

Smudge

johnny allan worked with me in the maypol when he joined the raf. thats a blast from the past :)

Smudge

Dot and Anne lived across the street from me, so as a youngster admired them greatly. Johnny Allen's younger bro. was a mate of mine.

One cold winters day HE, ME and young Grimmond decided to warm up by making a fire in a house at the top of Unity on the left, where the street name changes, on the way to Church St.

Should mention we did not break in, as the house was derelict ,with no roof but a fireplace and chimney.

As the smoke billowed from the chimney, the remains of the house went up in flames. Needless to say we were caught in the act by the polis.

After giving our names to the cops, we escaped with a severe lecture.

Funny how some names stick in the mind. "Alexander Ruckstan Allen." (Sandy to us)

Well, Grimmond and I almost pi**ed ourselves with laughter at his moniker.

They were the times eh....

One cold winters day HE, ME and young Grimmond decided to warm up by making a fire in a house at the top of Unity on the left, where the street name changes, on the way to Church St.

Should mention we did not break in, as the house was derelict ,with no roof but a fireplace and chimney.

As the smoke billowed from the chimney, the remains of the house went up in flames. Needless to say we were caught in the act by the polis.

They were the times eh....

Well, running the gauntlet at Hunters Chippy was bad enough, but setting alight to Doocot Land...that was taking it too far !!!!!!

We lived in Albany and my old dear used to freak out on guising night as all the kids from Hunters used to be chappin on your door. The chorus of "if yae dinnae let us sing, we will kick yer windies in" as she cowered behind the curtains in darkness still probably haunts her. Probably thought thought she was posh because she came from Craigie :wink: