Geoff Brown MBE?

lossiesaint

I have the paperwork for nominating Geoff for a national honour. I think MBE is the appropriate honour. Before I go any further, does anyone know if this has already been instigated?

As part of the nomination, two or more letters of endorsement must be sent. Is there anyone out there who would have the time to send a letter of endorsement for this? I am thinking straight away of Mr Cosgrove!

Im thinking that this man got the recognition he deserves for the time, effort and service he has put into St Johnstone FC and the local area.

What are your thoughts people?

I have the paperwork for nominating Geoff for a national honour. I think MBE is the appropriate honour. Before I go any further, does anyone know if this has already been instigated?

As part of the nomination, two or more letters of endorsement must be sent. Is there anyone out there who would have the time to send a letter of endorsement for this? I am thinking straight away of Mr Cosgrove!

Im thinking that this man got the recognition he deserves for the time, effort and service he has put into St Johnstone FC and the local area.

What are your thoughts people?

agreed

A dubious honour, really. A more sincere and heartfelt recognition from the people and government of the town would be more appropriate, I believe. It could take the form of a

statue or other work of art by a local artist, a plaque or somesuch.

A cuppa with Her Maj (or designate) in a fairly insincere and vapid ceremony wouldn't be something to be desired.

Fair City lad celebrated by the Fair City sounds a lot better to me.

Smudge

A dubious honour, really. A more sincere and heartfelt recognition from the people and government of the town would be more appropriate, I believe. It could take the form of a

statue or other work of art by a local artist, a plaque or somesuch.

A cuppa with Her Maj (or designate) in a fairly insincere and vapid ceremony wouldn't be something to be desired.

Fair City lad celebrated by the Fair City sounds a lot better to me.

Smudge

No harm in there being both

I guess this idea will split opinion. I'm also not utterly convinced about how GB would react to such an honour. He always struck me as the kind of guy who preferred not to be in the limelight. I would agree with the above that something more local and directly related to Saints would send a better message. Surely the 'Geoff Brown stand' is the kind of thing that would mean more, along with the suggestions made by Smudge above.

Perhaps there is room for both approaches.

I would suggst so, stop being such a t***! Just think it would be good thing for the fans to push for. East or West doesnt really matter. Suggested the East as thats where the majority sit!?

t***'s a bit harsh! Was just being facetious.....

All in favour of him having a stand named after him to be honest!

Not a fan of the honours system, but if anyone fits the bill for receiving one it's Geoff Brown (especially when you see people like Barry bloody Ferguson getting one).

I also think that, now he's no longer chairman, this would be the appropriate time to name the Main Stand after him. I know others have suggested the East Stand, but to me the Main Stand is more fitting as that is the stand that embodies the role of the stadium as Geoff's legacy: that's where all of the corporate and community stuff happens, and that's the part of the stadium that has made such a huge difference to where the club is today. (It's also where he actually sits, obviously!).

While I'm at it, some sort of event to tie this all together would also be fantastic. Possibly a legends match bringing together figures and players from his 25 years at the club? This is a massive moment in the club's history and I hope it is marked with something more than a press conference and an interview in the PA.

Not a fan of the honours system, but if anyone fits the bill for receiving one it's Geoff Brown (especially when you see people like Barry bloody Ferguson getting one).

I also think that, now he's no longer chairman, this would be the appropriate time to name the Main Stand after him. I know others have suggested the East Stand, but to me the Main Stand is more fitting as that is the stand that embodies the role of the stadium as Geoff's legacy: that's where all of the corporate and community stuff happens, and that's the part of the stadium that has made such a huge difference to where the club is today. (It's also where he actually sits, obviously!).

While I'm at it, some sort of event to tie this all together would also be fantastic. Possibly a legends match bringing together figures and players from his 25 years at the club? This is a massive moment in the club's history and I hope it is marked with something more than a press conference and an interview in the PA.

That's a brilliant idea - and a fitting tribute to Mr St Johnstone. We will forever be in his debt.

The only major thing I ever disagreed with him on was the sacking of Alex Totten. All sorts of rumours have emerged in the years since on the reasons for this - but if it was a mistake, Geoff more than made up for it in subsequent years.

For any with less positive thoughts, remember one thing - if Geoff Brown hadn't taken over when he did, we probably wouldn't have had a St Johnstone to support today. He saved our club.

Jim

That's a brilliant idea - and a fitting tribute to Mr St Johnstone. We will forever be in his debt.

For any with less positive thoughts, remember one thing - if Geoff Brown hadn't taken over when he did, we probably wouldn't have had a St Johnstone to support today. He saved our club.

Jim

It is a brilliant idea - players get testimonials - Geoff Brown deserves much more than that. He saved the Saints from going out of business without getting them into the financial state like some 'so called' bigger clubs find themselves in today.

I guess this idea will split opinion. I'm also not utterly convinced about how GB would react to such an honour. He always struck me as the kind of guy who preferred not to be in the limelight. I would agree with the above that something more local and directly related to Saints would send a better message. Surely the 'Geoff Brown stand' is the kind of thing that would mean more, along with the suggestions made by Smudge above.

Perhaps there is room for both approaches.

Sorry to put a damper on the Geoff Brown "love in" but for somebody who appears not to like being in the limelight his "standing down" announcement could have waited so our new manager would have had more of the spotlight on him today.Somewhat stole Mr Lomas' thunder.

Sorry to put a damper on the Geoff Brown "love in" but for somebody who appears not to like being in the limelight his "standing down" announcement could have waited so our new manager would have had more of the spotlight on him today.Somewhat stole Mr Lomas' thunder.

I disagree...by all accounts it was slipped in at the end and he could have easily have had his own 'event' if he wanted the limelight

I guess you think Florence Nightingale was an uncaring selfish bitch :roll:

I really think the town, as in pkdc, should honour him in some way as well. AND whilst he is still with us.

Don`t think PKDC have ever been great fans of Saints or Geoff.

National award of OBE or MBE long overdue when you see some of the neardowells that have recieved them.