Missing Fans

Legend of Zorro

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find it ironic our club on one hand is well run by local business people and has a business club .on the other hand they just expect you to turn up,pay your money ,sit on your hands ,shut up for 90 minutes and be grateful.

these aforementioned business people are stuck in the past it seems.Read all the various good ideas posted by fans on this topic previous to my post. the club seems too blinkered and head stuck in the sand too even see theres a major problem.

One final observation its time for the club to be innovative and try some of the fans ideas or use there so called business acuman and come up with something fan friendly thereselves.dont wait for the spl to come up with an idea.do it yerself.

Discussing ideas and giving opinions on the forum are one thing BUT it seems it doesnt go any further than words on a thread which inevitably "die" until someone resurrects it elsewhere.

Perhaps someone on here (with a bit of Savvy) could collate all the ideas and then list them upon a decent letter towards Stevie Brown and the board - then see what response is given by the club .

This is actually being looked at by Steve Brown himself. There are things going on in the background at the moment, initiated by him.

He is only too aware of our current situation and is actively doing something about it personally.

Right pretty much what I wanted to say but summed up;

Moved away from the Perthshire area in 2010 to Edinburgh for uni (yes I'm a money sponging git, who always goes out and gets pissed and never studies....); gave up season ticket and went from attending 30 odd games in both the 07/08 and 08/09 seasons to 10 last season; currently on 7 ( only 2 at home ) this season.

Feel that paying £21 is not value for money- £45 on a match day experience at McD! Em no thank you-almost my weekly budget-many others, not specifically students, are probably in the same position as me. Hence why I don't go to many home games. Almost every other club in the spl has a student gate, so why not Saints?!

I think that we lose tons of saints fans once they move away from Perthshire in order to study. Take a look at my group of pals; 5 of us went to uni and we struggle to make 30 games combined never mind 30 each! The club does not encourage these fans back! There ain't enough incentive for my pals and I to regularly attend a game at McD! Agree with the block ticket idea; probably would have bought one over the festive period since I was back home at the time.

The price structure on the whole is not value for money. Even once I have graduated from university, parting with 21 quid is hard hit. £16 would be a better price imo.

The whole SPL needs a lot of radical changes in order to bring back the lost fans and the Bundesliga is the place to get these ideas from. Recently went to an Eintracht Frankfurt game and the whole match day experience cost me no more than 25 euros. Travel to and from the game is included in the match ticket, saving the supporter a few quid. Its things like these which encourage the fans to go to the game!!!

Lower prices, summer football and terracing would be three changes which would be needed, imo, to spur the lost supporter back to the game. Obviously if the OF went bust it would help, since the league would be more competitive.

Anyway enough of my pish, plus I gotta go.

This is actually being looked at by Steve Brown himself. There are things going on in the background at the moment, initiated by him.

He is only too aware of our current situation and is actively doing something about it personally.

That's good news....I wonder if he will look at setting up a supporters group of some sort. This would enable him to 'test' any proposals or ideas by first presenting them to that group to identify any early concerns or issues, prior to committing any large degree of resource or time to further development. Nip bad ideas in the bud as it were.

He may also get some interesting ideas coming up through that group that the current 'think tank' didn't identify. Working in tandem with a 'business compatibility' group, they could then identify those proposals that would not alienate the supporters and also make good business sense. Those ideas can then be explored and developed further, with the necessary requirements put in place to make them happen.

(p.s. Steve, if you are reading this and need any Programme / Project support, I may be looking for a job :D)

Some really decent ideas being put forward here. I think selling season tickets at £100 would be a great initiative, there is definitely potential for selling 4000 which works out still better for the club than the current deal plus they would get extra merchandise sales, food and drink sales at games and maybe even a decent atmosphere. I`m sure a lowly English team (can`t remember who) tried this and they sold out of season tickets.

As O`Rourke says it`s great that Steve Brown is seriously looking into this as right now something radical needs done because it`s pretty clear from reading this thread that the fans that have left ain`t coming back the way things are at the moment.

Some really decent ideas being put forward here. I think selling season tickets at £100 would be a great initiative, there is definitely potential for selling 4000 which works out still better for the club than the current deal plus they would get extra merchandise sales, food and drink sales at games and maybe even a decent atmosphere. I`m sure a lowly English team (can`t remember who) tried this and they sold out of season tickets.

As O`Rourke says it`s great that Steve Brown is seriously looking into this as right now something radical needs done because it`s pretty clear from reading this thread that the fans that have left ain`t coming back the way things are at the moment.

Hartlepool and Huddersfield(they had 4000 season tickets prior to this and sold 16000).I bought the £100 and free ticket for the young lad.I only made two games but applauded the gesture.They also have a scheme that if you cant make games they will hold your ST and give it out to underprivileged children in the area.Huddersfield left Leeds rd not long after Saints left Muirton.They had a boom at the time with promotion from the first then just missing out on promotion to the Premiership.Just recently they went through a lull fan wise and came up with the idea(£100 ST+child ticket free) to coincide with their centenary.Instead of crowds of 8000 4 yrs ago they still regularly get crowds in excess of 14000.

St.Johnstone have missed out on this big time.

If Saints were selling season tickets at that price, I'd buy one for myself and my dad to repay him for the years he bought me a full price one! ;)

There is no way I am going to part with almost £300 for one though.

Edited by SaintSam1884

Saints should try it for one year....look at the revenue through Season Tickets this year, then say, okay, if there is a shortfall the next season when we reduce the season ticket cost, then the following year, we will increase the price again, based on predicted sales, to close that gap....I bet the increase would be nowhere near back up to the current price, if indeed any shortfall at all as discussed previously.

Presuming we continue in the same form for the rest of the season (with maybe even Europe), what better season to try it than next year

From that footing, they can then go on to increase season ticket numbers and the revenue goes up. Also, if season ticket holders pay less, then that removes the unrest when other 'one-off' or other incentives are introduced

I think the club needs to have some sort of presence in the town centre. Other than driving past Mcd on the way to tesco, when you actually see the stadium, there is nowhere I can think of that lets people know St Johnstone exists. Surely some sort of advertising space promoting the next game, showing prices, even a wee food deal or something, would at the very least raise awareness.

I don't understand why the club haven't promoted the cup game v Brechin specifically. That is going to be a tiny attendance. This is a game against a significantly weaker team. It's a game you'd expect saints to win comfotably. Scoring a few goals and playing some nice football in the process. Now the prices would normally be reduced for this anyway, so why not just take a small financial hit by letting people in for say £5. It's a weekend game, first home game of the year, it's the Scottish Cup, the club needs to make a big deal out of it. Take a risk and try something different or get a crowd of about 2.5k and continue as we are are and see what happens.

I think the club needs to have some sort of presence in the town centre. Other than driving past Mcd on the way to tesco, when you actually see the stadium, there is nowhere I can think of that lets people know St Johnstone exists. Surely some sort of advertising space promoting the next game, showing prices, even a wee food deal or something, would at the very least raise awareness.

I don't understand why the club haven't promoted the cup game v Brechin specifically. That is going to be a tiny attendance. This is a game against a significantly weaker team. It's a game you'd expect saints to win comfotably. Scoring a few goals and playing some nice football in the process. Now the prices would normally be reduced for this anyway, so why not just take a small financial hit by letting people in for say £5. It's a weekend game, first home game of the year, it's the Scottish Cup, the club needs to make a big deal out of it. Take a risk and try something different or get a crowd of about 2.5k and continue as we are are and see what happens.

tbh the only posters you see in the town are the Barossa Saints buses.

Maybe not on the same level but this season the club reduced the cost of the programme substantially (and to be fair the content did not shrink by as big a %). I have heard they are actually making more money on programme sales than they have for many years. Perhaps a lesson to be learnt there.

Maybe not on the same level but this season the club reduced the cost of the programme substantially (and to be fair the content did not shrink by as big a %). I have heard they are actually making more money on programme sales than they have for many years. Perhaps a lesson to be learnt there.

Exactly what I was thinking the other day. Same principle, bigger scale required

Maybe abit simplistic but I have always said (circa 1990s)it is better having 10,000 people paying £5 than 5,000 paying £10 or as it is today 4000 paying £10 than 2000 paying £20+. I do believe the £20 barrier is putting people off reduce it to even £18 or £19 and I think you would get quite a few more in.

Maybe abit simplistic but I have always said (circa 1990s)it is better having 10,000 people paying £5 than 5,000 paying £10 or as it is today 4000 paying £10 than 2000 paying £20+. I do believe the £20 barrier is putting people off reduce it to even £18 or £19 and I think you would get quite a few more in.

I would pay £20, for me and my son on a father/son ticket. I think that is totally reasonable