A Referendum on Independence

henryhallsdanceband

Aye....Here is your answer madrid.

But Ssssh don,t let the cat out o the bag..!!!!:wink:

Good video which is backed up by decent facts in the links. The Scottish people have an opportunity to shape our own future and we need to grab it. The UK is sinking fast, evidence points to freedom and democracy being dead in this country now, the English have completely lost their cultural identity and the LibLabCon have us now caught up in the disaster that is the EU. Barring a revolution the UK is beyond rescue I feel.

What we as a nation must be very careful of however is that we don't swap one sinking ship for another. To become fully fledged members of the EU would be a massive mistake - that lot are going to hell in a handcart. A massive EUSSR dictated to by Germany - some independance that. The wealthiest countries in Europe are Norway and Switzerland, both members of the EFTA - that is where we should be going, together with throwing our lot in with

the other English speaking Commonwealth nations like Canada and New Zealand.

Lets get the vote as soon as possible but ,lets make sure everyone knows the facts. We need to find out for instance whether we will need to reapply to join the EU because if we do, we WILL be forced to accept the Euro as our currency.. and there are quite a few other facts we need to know before any vote takes place..

Then once the population is in reciept of this knowledge, lets get voting and lets sort this pish out once and for all.. Lets tell Alex Salmon to go feck himself and shove his utopian idea of independence right up his glory hole..

And if the people of this country are stupid enough to fall for the SNP spin and vote for total seperation, I look forward in the years to come to telling you all what a bunch of bloody idiots you were as we descend into chaos and bankruptcy..

My hope is though, that there are far more intelligent Scots than morons..:D

Typical unionist view:roll:

Why would Alex Salmond allow the UK government to dictate the date for a referendum:?:

Ghostie, by autumn 2014 wee eck will even have you persuaded that independence is the way forward.:wink:

Why would Alex Salmond allow the UK government to dictate the date for a referendum:?:

Ghostie, by autumn 2014 wee eck will even have you persuaded that independence is the way forward.:wink:

Wee Eck might just have played a blinder, unfortunately. Stoke up the indignation - these bloody English telling us how to run our own country - exaggerate the differences, appeal to Scottish pride, and hey presto, people who didn't previously consider independence will vote for it. And of course Cameron, who has previous - his stupid "veto" in Europe, has risen to the bait and started grandstanding quite unnecessarily.

Labour are in it for themselves. They would lose 41 MP's and would need to change the boundries again to have a chance of ever winning an election. Firstly though they would need to get rid of milliband. Am sorry but he is a donkey and if that's the best they have then they are doomed anyway.

It showed yesterday when the MP's were debating when to hold it and salmond announces it that he is still in control. And still getting one over on them.

Wee Eck might just have played a blinder, unfortunately. Stoke up the indignation - these bloody English telling us how to run our own country - exaggerate the differences, appeal to Scottish pride, and hey presto, people who didn't previously consider independence will vote for it. And of course Cameron, who has previous - his stupid "veto" in Europe, has risen to the bait and started grandstanding quite unnecessarily.

The EU wanting to impose a unilateral tax on UK Financial Services????

Nothing remotely stupid about using our veto for that. However, if Cameron had any spine whatsoever he would have also threated them with an immediate referendum of the British people on our continued membership of their whole sorry organisation. They'd seriously have cause to grumble then.

THE EU NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM - something worth remembering. The only reason that we are still in due to the fact that our mainstream political parties are looking after themselves.

The EU wanting to impose a unilateral tax on UK Financial Services????

Nothing remotely stupid about using our veto for that. However, if Cameron had any spine whatsoever he would have also threated them with an immediate referendum of the British people on our continued membership of their whole sorry organisation. They'd seriously have cause to grumble then.

THE EU NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM - something worth remembering. The only reason that we are still in due to the fact that our mainstream political parties are looking after themselves.

Yes indeed, I agree to some extent with what you're saying. What I think was stupid was that he a. played the veto card too early and b. didn't back it up. He now has nowhere to go. Europe has said it is going to carry on anyway, regardless of our veto. So what can he do? It was a poor piece of political judgement because he's now isolated and looks weak in Europe.

You'll find no prouder Scot than me, despite the fact I live amongst the Sassenachs down here. The reason I'm here is I'm an economic refugee - not enough work at home.

I would really like to see an independent Scotland but I worry about the practicalities of it. What about the Euro? Would we keep the pound and let the BofE set interest rates for us? Will that turn us into Ireland / Greece? Also what about all the money that comes from UK into Scotland for public spending etc. Would that continue, if not how would we replace it? Does Wee Eck have a business plan for how Scotland would operate and thrive post independence? The politicos who are championing independence need to answer those questions (and I suspect a few more besides) before I can make my mind up.

Maybe Eck is just going to dodge all these and make an emotional case for independence using folk's patriotism. I expect he'd collect quite a few votes on that basis but wouldn't win the day.

PS - I emailed him congratulating him and his party on their election victory, but the wee shite didnae reply :(

Edited by babychunder

Back to the original question though. I moved south a number of years ago too and remain a proud Scotsman. However, I really don't know if I deserve a vote or not.

Did I give up my right for a vote by choosing to move out with Scotland's borders or is it my birthright as a born and bred Scotsman who lived there until adulthood?

If I had to make a decision right now, I'd probably have to say that I forfeited my right by choosing to leave and remaining away. I can't say if I'll return permanently so Scotland's independence may only effect me emotionally but is that worthy of a say in it's future?

Mind you, living in England, it might be more than emotional. Will we get information on what Scottish independence will do to England, N Ireland and Wales? So far from the skimming I've done it appears to be all about Scotland. The big picture would be handy too.

Typical unionist view:roll:

I very much doubt that. If he told me it was dark outside, I would feel forced to check.:laugh:

Nonsense.

My thoughts are as HertsSaintee's. For once!

Okay you say it's nonsense.. Can you explain why please??

Do you know for sure that we would either

(a) just be allowed to continue with membership of the EU

or...

(B) have to re-apply.

Because if we do have to re-apply, we will most definitely have to adopt the Euro. That is a condition which is set in stone for NEW members..

Please feel free to direct me to some independently

published facts on what WILL happen.

I too like the idea of HS. As far as I am aware though, Alex salmon and the SNP have consistently said and independent Scotland WOULD want to be a full member of the EU..

Again, feel free to enlighten me on this should I be wrong..

Or is NONSENSE all you have???:laugh:

Aye....Here is your answer madrid.

But Ssssh don,t let the cat out o the bag..!!!!:wink:

Poor video which at best is counter factual (Scotland is the same size or bigger than; Netherlands 16.8 million, Switzerland 7.9 million, Belgium 11million, Czech Rep 10.56 million, or do they mean in terms square miles? In which case they are even more stupid) The stats on budget deficit/surplus all open to radically different interpretation. Oil? Jesus still this nonsense! Defence spending? Will be removed from Scotland after separation, Media, if Scotland does not have an independent media then, does it qualify as a nation state at all?

Even Salmond does not want 'independence' because it is a nonsense term that means nothing more than emotional tubthumping! That's why he is going for 'Devomax' at least that has some meaning!