A Referendum on Independence

henryhallsdanceband

but again I remain unconvinced the constitutional bun fight that will dominate politics for the next 2 years is a worthwhile exercise.

whether your for or against independance - i fear this will be the worsed bit. in 2 years time even i may have to vote for independence just to shut the whole thing up :) . obviously people need a debate on it but and while i know the different partys have reasons for wanting the election soon or late in this parliament, but if all this talking/debating... goes on for 2 years its going to drive people up the wall

Interesting to see how the debate has changed Scotland's standing in the UK over the last week in the views of unionist politicians. We have been promoted from subsidy junkies to having an equal partnership in a successful union.

On question time last night a member of the audience asked the panel what the benefits of remaining in the union were. Apart from the usual response of being stronger together weaker apart the panel couldn't come up with any real benefit or even decide who would be better off after the split.

The unionists have to come up with a better argument or the support for independence will grow in the next 2 years.

My heart says yes let's cut our ties to the English and tear up that dratted Act of Union that the traitor James VI and his lackey Queensberry got us into.

My head says no, we'd get stuck with a large chunk of the national debt, have to adopt the euro and/or let London/Frankfrt set our interest rates. It would be like a South American banana republic with oil as the currency instead of bananas, and what would we do when all the oil runs oot?

Interesting to see how the debate has changed Scotland's standing in the UK over the last week in the views of unionist politicians. We have been promoted from subsidy junkies to having an equal partnership in a successful union.

On question time last night a member of the audience asked the panel what the benefits of remaining in the union were. Apart from the usual response of being stronger together weaker apart the panel couldn't come up with any real benefit or even decide who would be better off after the split.

The unionists have to come up with a better argument or the support for independence will grow in the next 2 years.

I would not disagree with much you say here C of G, but it is for the partitionists to make the case for major constituional change. There is little doubt that the union has been a 'successful' parntership, depending of course how you measure 'success'.

Support for 'independence' has been growing but its largely a protest vote (that's why Salmond will not favour a straight choice in a ref) or is there really any vision, if so what is it?

My heart says yes let's cut our ties to the English and tear up that dratted Act of Union that the traitor James VI and his lackey Queensberry got us into.

My head says no, we'd get stuck with a large chunk of the national debt, have to adopt the euro and/or let London/Frankfrt set our interest rates. It would be like a South American banana republic with oil as the currency instead of bananas, and what would we do when all the oil runs oot?

The latest debate I heard regards currency suggested that if we gained independence we would have the opportunity to remain with sterling and discuss options for joining the euro or having our own currency at a later date. If we invest the profits from oil sensibly we will have no concerns if the oil does indeed ever run out.

If we are such a financial burden to the UK I'm surprised that the unionist parties are so keen to keep us onboard.

I would not disagree with much you say here C of G, but it is for the partitionists to make the case for major constituional change. There is little doubt that the union has been a 'successful' parntership, depending of course how you measure 'success'.

Support for 'independence' has been growing but its largely a protest vote (that's why Salmond will not favour a straight choice in a ref) or is there really any vision, if so what is it?

The latest poll suggests a slight rise in favour of independence but still well behind popularity for the status quo.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll_shows_rise_in_support_for_scottish_independence_1_2050012

This is why Alex Salmond is so keen to delay the vote until late 2014 allowing him to build on the support and feel good factor gained from hosting the Commonwealth Games, Ryder Cup and the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn. Throw in Scotland qualifying for the WC in Brazil in the summer and the result is in the bag.:laugh:

The latest poll suggests a slight rise in favour of independence but still well behind popularity for the status quo.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll_shows_rise_in_support_for_scottish_independence_1_2050012

This is why Alex Salmond is so keen to delay the vote until late 2014 allowing him to build on the support and feel good factor gained from hosting the Commonwealth Games, Ryder Cup and the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn. Throw in Scotland qualifying for the WC in Brazil in the summer and the result is in the bag.:laugh:

Only one poll that will make any difference. 2014

James VI had been dead for 82 years by 1707 but you are right about Queensbury ( but missed Argyll ).

Got to agree with you though. Take the jingoism out to it I have yet to see a convincing argument for Independence. I fully expect 2 years of bluster, tartan shortbread tins etc

Why should Scotland pay any of the national debt given we've run a surplus for 4 of the last 5 years and have been a net contributor to the treasury for decades? Why should we pay for Westminster to bail out Canary Wharf?

Tories can't seem to make up their mind as to whether they love us or whether we're leeches, tapeworms or clingers on of any other sort. When they talk about the Union they say we're valuable contributors, and yet suddenly when we talk about splitting off we're subsidy junkies, a wasteland and are lucky to exist?

We have £1tn of oil money sitting in our seas that's currently paying Fred Goodwin's pension. Ed Milliband is desperate for the Union, because without it Westminster will be Tory forever. Cameron wants the Union because it means billions of oil pounds for him and his cronies.

They need us far more than we need them. This is a fact.

Aye that's bang on cjw, can't be doing with all this independence nonsense, now don't get me wrong I'm Scottish all the way but man I can't stand all that bloody Scottishness that gets rolled out every so often, braveheart - utter nonsense, tartan- bloody awful, flower o Scotland - rank rotten, were a small paranoid country that's stuck in the past and Alex salmond is a knob,

Yeah I got a bit carried away, aye she's def a lezzer, anyway all politicians talk crap, the majority of them just pay us lip service and in reality they don't give a toss about your average Joe public, no matter what salmond says or does someone from Westminster will always have a hand up his ass, he can act all patriotic and say all the right things but at the end of the day we all know he's just a man with limited power being controlled by those with more power

How's the new Edinburgh tram system getting on? Can't get that right. What chance do we have.! We're doomed.

The SNP wanted to cancel this project which was obvious from the start to be a waste of time & money but the Labour party who were in control at Hollyrood at the time voted it down with the help of the Lib/dems.

no matter what salmond says or does someone from Westminster will always have a hand up his ass, he can act all patriotic and say all the right things but at the end of the day we all know he's just a man with limited power being controlled by those with more power

I think you've just convinced yourself that independence is the way forward.:laugh:

Why should we pay for Westminster to bail out Canary Wharf?

Or 'RBS' even. :wink:

Tories can't seem to make up their mind as to whether they love us or whether we're leeches, tapeworms or clingers on of any other sort. When they talk about the Union they say we're valuable contributors, and yet suddenly when we talk about splitting off we're subsidy junkies, a wasteland and are lucky to exist?

Seperatists have been directing abuse in englands' direction for years. Surely ye can take a wee bit 'o banter back :laugh: