A Referendum on Independence

henryhallsdanceband

Oh I don't know. It's a classic example of the criteria 16-17 yr olds are liable to use when coming to a decision which way to go should they get the vote.

The fact that this particular gentleman is supposed to be over 50 says it all :laugh:

25e :wink:

Edited by Indicator

It's funny that the 16 & 17 year old being allowed to vote has caused such a fuss with the unionists.

The same ones that are happy for them to be shot at on foreign fields jut not good enough to put a X on a ballot paper.

Shows what respect were meant to have for some people.

They are the future and should be allowed to vote.

It's funny that the 16 & 17 year old being allowed to vote has caused such a fuss with the unionists.

The same ones that are happy for them to be shot at on foreign fields jut not good enough to put a X on a ballot paper.

Shows what respect were meant to have for some people.

Strange statement mate, I don't think anybody in the UK is happy for any British citizen to be shot or, what is more likely, blown to bits by ied's on foreign fields nor anywhere else for that matter. I'm quite happy for anyone in the (UK) armed forces to be allowed to vote once they have signed on the dotted line but, the system operating in Britain states that you get the vote at 18. When/if Scotland gets its independance the rule can be changed accordingly.

I joined the armed forces at fifteen and a half but didn't get a vote until I was eighteen nor did I expect it. Do not see why it should be changed at this particular time just because it suits an SNP agenda.

"Shows what respect were meant to have for some people."

Don't know what that line is supposed to mean.

What does everyone think the figure should be to allow the vote to pass? A majority of those who vote or a majority of the whole eligable electorate?

Personally I feel it has to be the later as the former could mean a Yes for independence with only 20-25% of the electorate backing it!

It will be a majority of those that vote.

too many still unanswered questions:

what is our share of the national debt?

Would we set up a new Central Bank?

Would we be responsible for our own interest rate?

Would we still use the Bank of England and pounds sterling?

What happens to the public pensions liability?

What would be our military capability?

What would happen to Uk public sector staff?

too many still unanswered questions:

what is our share of the national debt?

Would we set up a new Central Bank?

Would we be responsible for our own interest rate?

Would we still use the Bank of England and pounds sterling?

What happens to the public pensions liability?

What would be our military capability?

What would happen to Uk public sector staff?

Isn't that what the 2 year consultation process is for?

in that case legislation has to be passed making voting compulsory for the referendum. to much is at stake for more than 50% of the electorate to sit at home

No it shouldn't. Compulsory voting must never be introduced. If people don't vote, politicians should be addressing the issues why they don't rather than strong arming them into it.

No it shouldn't. Compulsory voting must never be introduced. If people don't vote, politicians should be addressing the issues why they don't rather than strong arming them into it.

how can we have independence if 75% of the electorate do not vote for it? it makes it a farce of an exercise. i am not saying that all elections should be compulsory as Australia do but this referendum should be

how can we have independence if 75% of the electorate do not vote for it? it makes it a farce of an exercise. i am not saying that all elections should be compulsory as Australia do but this referendum should be

Because 75% of the electorate were free to take up their right to chose not to vote. If they'd wanted to vote they would have. That choice should never be taken away from them.

Introducing compulsory voting for one issue will just lead to it being introduced for all elections.