A Referendum on Independence

henryhallsdanceband

So everyone born in Scotland should be able to vote? Even if you moved away when you were an infant? Riiiiiight.

Well that was your reason for being given a vote - "because I have a stake in Scotland's future and it will affect me". So what?

Yeah they probably are more worthy of a vote than you as they are voting on something which affects they way in which they will be governed. As soon as they qualify to vote in Scotland in local elections, Scottish Parliament elections etc. they should be able to vote in the referendum.

If you move away from Scotland then you have to expect to lose some of the benefits of living here. Unlucky.

Unlucky? You reckon... :unsure:

So everyone born in Scotland should be able to vote? Even if you moved away when you were an infant? Riiiiiight.

Have to agree. Besides, people talk about being born in Scotland as if it represents some sort of special achievement or involved some sort of dedication. The choice a person makes in moving to or away from the country is a far more telling factor than where they happened to be born. It could very easily be argued that a person who has made the effort of moving to Scotland from elsewhere in the world has demonstrated considerably more dedication to being a part of Scotland than a person who was, by chance, born there, and then, by choice, moved away.

I have never suggested anything of the sort about Poles or any other non-Scots living in Scotland. I suggested some might not have the future of Scotland as their main reason for being in Scotland. Nevertheless only residents of Scotland will vote in the referendum. What I don't get is that the referendum is only the business of those who live in Scotland when the referendum happens. That is really the only thing on which we differ. I do not believe that the future of a nation should depend soley upon the views of one specific group of Scots at one specific point in time - that specific point in time being in truth fairly random and the choice of who - Alex Salmond? Why? This is not a vote for a government, it's not a vote for a specific policy that can be changed in the future.

This referendum vote is much, much bigger than that. And I find it in truth unbelievable that Scots-born the world over are not being given a say about the future status of their country. Those who live in Scotland today and at some date in 2014 do not OWN Scotland and the future of the country - it is not YOUR coiuntry at the exclusion of the rest of us - though you seem to think that it is. You may have a greater immediate stake in the outcome than most of the rest of us, but you are not the only ones who have a stake and interest in Scotland and it's future. The residents of Scotland on the day of the referendum are but a constituency snapshot in time. That may be fine for elections when results can be reversed or modified, I do not think it is fine for a referendum such as this.

Why not before the main referendum poll have a separate poll just for the Poles,

to see how many Poles would poll a vote in the main poll and what percentage of Poles would poll a vote anyway.

Simples.

The problem if the unthinkable happens is that the Welsh might go for it then we will end up with complete fragmentation, utter buffoonery. Pinnocchio Salmond is a complete chancer, I wouldn't buy a second hand car from him.

The referendum isn't about voting for Salmond. I've not heard any convincing Unionist arguments for retaining the Union, it's always "Salmond is a t***".

The referendum isn't about voting for Salmond. I've not heard any convincing Unionist arguments for retaining the Union, it's always "Salmond is a t***".

Exactly . It is about FAR more than one MP or one party . I just hope that some voters aren't swayed by the smearing of certain people and base their vote on the facts of how scotland would fare independantly.

As a race, by which i mean the human one, we do far better when we are united than when we are divided.

The UK, EU, NATO, UN, World Bank etc are without doubt, full of fault .

Divided and disperate though, is no way to deal with the problems and challenges that are facing this planet,

just as sepratism couldnt handle the issues that brought about the Union in the first place.

Maybe that should be the 1st question on the referendum, why did scotland and england unite in the first

place? Get that right , and you get to vote on whether it should remain

As a race, by which i mean the human one, we do far better when we are united than when we are divided.

The UK, EU, NATO, UN, World Bank etc are without doubt, full of fault .

Divided and disperate though, is no way to deal with the problems and challenges that are facing this planet,

just as sepratism couldnt handle the issues that brought about the Union in the first place.

Maybe that should be the 1st question on the referendum, why did scotland and england unite in the first

place? Get that right , and you get to vote on whether it should remain

was it because Scotland lost a lot of money trying to set up a colony in south america and the english decided to merge with us, not a lot of people got to vote on the union of the crowns Edited by lmsaintee