Edstar101

What will you do if new Rangers are allowed straight into SPL?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Came across this interesting item the other day on the SFM website. Concise and well written, one of the best forensic analysis of the way that rules which have to be followed to the letter by 41 clubs can be flexible when the 42nd club is involved, usually by bringing the caveat "at the boards discretion" in to play.

Why do the 41 clubs continue to accept the disparity in the application of the rule book when it involves anything to do with the Govan club - that continues to be an unfathomable mystery to me.

Allyjambo says:    
April 21, 2015 at 10:38 am    

Sorry to interrupt the very interesting debate on the ‘penalty that wasn’t given’, such an unusual

event deserves all our attention :roll:

Just to throw in a squirrel, was thinking on the Newcastle loan players, having read that two of

them are making their debut for the under 20s today, and wondering if there’s ever been a loan

arrangement, anywhere, where the lending club would only receive a fee commensurate with the

players’ wages/ability, if the borrowing club gained promotion (or had any other kind of success).

In the normal course of events, the lending club would have no interest in the success, or

otherwise, of the borrowing club and would only have one of two interests (or both) – to reduce the

cost to their club of the players’ wages, or to provide young prospects with game time to see if

they have what it takes to take the step up.

In neither case does the promotion of the club harm the lender (in such a way that a fee should be

paid), nor does the failure to gain promotion benefit the club, or the loanee players, to such an

extent that no fee is necessary.

There must have been any number of clubs that these players could have been loaned out to (if fit,

but that’s another question) that would have agreed to a more defined fee structure, perhaps games

played or just a straight sum.

I’m sure Hibs, or QOTS, would have been delighted to have one or two of those players available for

the imminent play-offs, on similar terms, but, of course, that was never going to happen, because…

…because only TRFC have a major shareholder and financial life support machine running another club

with reserve players of a standard superior to the majority of first team players within our

Championship!

Last week TRFC were handed a derogatory (to the rest of Scottish football) fine due to the dual

connection of Mike Ashley to Newcastle and TRFC. Derogatory, but evidence that the SFA class the

connection as being against the interests of the game, presumably because it is, in the main, unfair

to the other clubs, particularly their closest rivals.

So, once again, an investigation into an Ibrox club has led to them being found guilty of breaking

the rules; had a minimal penalty handed out; been allowed to carry on as if nothing is wrong; and

the situation goes unquestioned by the media. But, most bemusing of all, goes unchallenged by the

clubs that will, more than likely, lose out as a result of this breaking of the rules.

Strange, isn’t it, that there should be a huge outcry, and official complaints to the SPFL, when

said club gains a pretty slight, by comparison, advantage with a change to kick-off times, but

nothing is said when they gain an influx of players, superior to those previously available to them,

as a direct result of the involvement of a man the SFA say shouldn’t be involved with the club, on

terms that only become close to commensurate in the event TRFC gain promotion.

Why this acquiescence whenever a club from Ibrox is involved? Is the hold over Scottish football, of

a club called ‘Rangers’, so great that the other clubs are happy just to roll over and lose out in

order that the status quo can be restored?

At the very least, surely, the SPFL/SFA should be getting asked, by these clubs, for a public

clarification of why TRFC are allowed to continue playing players only made available to them

through a prohibited connection to those players’ parent club!

Bomber now saying Sfa should pass King as fit and proper because he has money and the the need it.

Bomber saying at the same time that "rangers" are the biggest club in Scotland  :shock:   As if the Neathandrals need a very stupid Neathandral to cause them more trouble in the West Coast rivalry. What an ass that man is.      

Sevco to allow season ticket holders into play offs free so that other clubs will not share in the bonansa. They really are a shower of shit. Hope Spfl have the balls to tell them they are breaking the rules & will have to forfeit home games.

Difference between last season and this is, Hibs were allowedto let season ticket holders in for free for the second leg of their playoff final with Hamilton ( one game ) , where The The want to admit season ticket holders in for free in potentially Three games.

This is in breach of SPFL rules as 50 per cent of pooled gate receipts from play offs are distributed among all league clubs.

Sevco to allow season ticket holders into play offs free so that other clubs will not share in the bonansa. They really are a shower of shit. Hope Spfl have the balls to tell them they are breaking the rules & will have to forfeit home games.

Will this matter much?  I thought Sevco ST holders stopped turning out for matches months ago.  This way Sevco will be able to add 20,000 empty seats to the gate - hopefully just one v QOS>

Much as I don't like to agree with either of the ugly sisters I do think in this case they do have a case. I don't see why Saints Aberdeen Celtic etc should get a cut of the gate money from the play offs. In my view this should only go to the participating teams. However the rules are there and it would appear the the are going to flout them so I think they should be relegated back to the third division.

This just reinforces my view that the play offs should be semi finals, then the final. Semis played at neutral grounds and the final at Hampden.

Different for this year obviously, but imagine a final at hampden between St Mirren and Queen of the South?? Or Ross County and Raith? Hampden only has a semi decent atmosphere when theres 50,000 in it, nevermind 10-15000

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/queen-of-south/318956-queen-of-the-south-plan-to-charge-season-ticket-holders-for-play-off/

Queens charging their ST holders.

Sounds like the rule is simply 50% of ticket revenue goes to SPFL... The way I read it is that there isn't actually a rule saying you can't let them in free, is there? 

A little googling shows 

"C26 - A levy of 50% of the monies (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club for all Play-Off Matches played in the Division One/Division Two PlayOff Competition from all admission charges paid and payable to and for the relevant Play-Off Match shall be paid by the Home Club to the Company within seven days of the date on which each Play-Off Match is played."

That's all that it says in the SPFL rulebook. Nothing about ST holders, or free admission. Just you have to give them half the takings. So they aren't breaking rules, just being a bit dickish towards the SPFL. I'm fine with that.

Edited by duncan08

"C26 - A levy of 50% of the monies (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club for all Play-Off Matches played in the Division One/Division Two PlayOff Competition from all admission charges paid and payable to 

I think the "all admission charges paid and PAYABLE" is the relevant bit.  It is clear from that, that the meaning of the rule is that all admission charges paid, and all admission charges that should be made (eg, from the revenue attached to season ticket sales) should be remitted to the SPFL.

If Rangers are letting fans in on season tickets for free, that is great.  However it is not for free as they charged for the season tickets, and therefore, under rule C26, Rangers should remit the revenue received as a result - in this case cost of season ticket/# of games season ticket provided.