New supermarket?

ex-montrosesaintee

How funny would it be if someone or a group obtained a tree preservation order for that wee wood behind the North Stand, making chopping them down illegal! :roll:

trees - TPOs - that would be funny although they have no 'real' value so highly unlikely to get that status.

Bats dont stop the job, you just need to carry out the survey work in season, and create new bat roosts for them, this enables you to close the roost and chop the tree under licence.

Dobbies will remain at Dobbies, and Sainsbury is to be built at the old mart (former car auctions) which is now a derlict site. There is plenty of room beside Dobbies to build a Sainsbury - been plenty objection to the planning application in the past, reckon this is a resubmission. There was talk of direct slip road from A9 north bound into the rear of Dobbies / Sainsbury.... gossip...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesco own Dobbies, and as a result of their loss of profits last quarter have abandoned expansion plans for the time being, nationwide (rumour)

Also, planning departments nationwide have woken up to garden centres = department stores by stealth.

I did apologise for this if it is on the wrong board, but I thought it related directly to saints so I put it here. Mods, please move it if need be.

I'm awaiting the 'lies damaging the club' crap from a former member. Honestly, I'm only reporting what I have seen, and the speculation is just around a possible operator.

magic .we got an almost deserted high street but theres a 'demand' for this.i propose we move to the high street.

Now there's a can of worms for the chit chat board. How right you are.

However, recession doesnt mean there is no money, just that the wrong people have it all. Supermarket coys have a lot of money and power, and that unfortunately speaks louder than good urban design principles.

magic .we got an almost deserted high street but theres a 'demand' for this.i propose we move to the high street.

Was kinda shocked walking down the high st today. From the centre to Scott st three empty units.

Walk through Dundee city centre morning and evening and don't see that.

Yes this comment is for another thread.

Now there's a can of worms for the chit chat board. How right you are.

However, recession doesnt mean there is no money, just that the wrong people have it all. Supermarket coys have a lot of money and power, and that unfortunately speaks louder than good urban design principles.

aye we are all fat bassas buying from they supermarkets .there should be a cull.especially scummy tesco who are obviously struggling and trying to offload dodgy OF TOPS UP THE CRIEFF ROAD.

Yes I think they're referring to the Sainsbury's up at the old mart site. It's supposed to be about 55,000 sq ft.

But the proposal of application notice must say adjacent to McDiarmid park. It differentiates in the article fr Tesco which is opposite McDiarmid park. The mart is miles away in that context.

The proposed Local Development Plan was (I understand) approved by Councillors a few weeks back, with the Perth West stuff retained as shown on the previous page, so it's the right time for either a speculative developer or a supermarket operator to try to secure consent for the OP7 site.

The original poster has put the moving of this to the moderators. Until they decide then should we all not comment ??

But this is a forum for discussion. Some feel it relevant, some dont.

Until the moderators say so their is no point snapping at people for having a open and non threatening thread.

Calm yer beans

aye we are all fat bassas buying from they supermarkets .there should be a cull.especially scummy tesco who are obviously struggling and trying to offload dodgy OF TOPS UP THE CRIEFF ROAD.

What do you do? They've got all the money, we are skint, they sell the stuff we need 30% cheaper than the high street. They got us by the short and curleys. Best solution? Give in and make sure Saints get a fat wad of their cash.

trees - TPOs - that would be funny although they have no 'real' value so highly unlikely to get that status.

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the trees don't need to have any value, just need to be under threat. We got one on land next to our property to stop somebody building on that land, even though the tree is half dead.

No, 45,000 to 55,000 is a typical supermarket. Only really the Tesco Extra and big Asda stores are larger. From promap, I get Asda at about the same as Tesco, 75,000sqft, and Morrisons at about 45,000sqft (it was indeed safeway the last time i was there!).

Based on Aberdeenshire standards (because I work here!) it is 8 spaces per 100sqm for food and 5 spaces per 100sqm non food gross floor area. So 55,000sqft, with 70% food and 30% non food = 390 spaces. P&K will be in the same ball park, as they are based on national guidelines.

While I don't doubt your calculations from Promap, you need to remember that they will incorporate the whole site - e.g. warehouse/office space. So while Tesco Crieff Road will be 75,000 square feet, the actual sales area is, in fact just under 60,000 square feet. When developers are pushing a site to a potential buyer they will be talking up the sales area - so if they are saying 55,000 square feet then that will be the sales are - i.e. roughly the same size as Tesco. Tesco Crieff Road is actually one of the smallest stores in the "Extra" format.

While I don't doubt your calculations from Promap, you need to remember that they will incorporate the whole site - e.g. warehouse/office space. So while Tesco Crieff Road will be 75,000 square feet, the actual sales area is, in fact just under 60,000 square feet. When developers are pushing a site to a potential buyer they will be talking up the sales area - so if they are saying 55,000 square feet then that will be the sales are - i.e. roughly the same size as Tesco. Tesco Crieff Road is actually one of the smallest stores in the "Extra" format.

Parking standards are based on gross floor area, not net sales area. That does indeed suck from the developers perspective, but rules is rules.

I agree though, it's based on the old WMLow layout, which was crap.

So, to summarise............. whit?

Looks like an application is forthcoming for a supermarket right next to McDiarmid park. Saints may own the land, which could mean payday.

Speculating, the supermarket may be the catalyst for the new road, which could mean the north stand goes sooner rather than later, and payday.

The original poster has put the moving of this to the moderators. Until they decide then should we all not comment ??

But this is a forum for discussion. Some feel it relevant, some dont.

Until the moderators say so their is no point snapping at people for having a open and non threatening thread.

Calm yer beans

Okay, Goody Two Shoes !

Guest Harry Curran's Love child
Looks like an application is forthcoming for a supermarket right next to McDiarmid park. Saints may own the land, which could mean payday.

Speculating, the supermarket may be the catalyst for the new road, which could mean the north stand goes sooner rather than later, and payday.

Gotcha! Cheers