#31 - 19/02/12 - Aberdeen 0-0 Saints - SPL

That was dire.

Any non Dons Saints fan watching that would think Scottish football is crap. Oh so it is.First half Aberdeen were their for the beating as they thought they were up against a decent side. Second half they went for it a bit & probably should have scored a couple.

Was crying out for Croft to come on for Millar at half time but wish he hadn`t .Both missed 2 good chances.

Jody Morris was his usual non existant & Craig had his worst game of the season. How did Haber miss that sitter in the last minute & will Lomas learn to use his subs.

Would have taken a point at worst before the game but relieved to take one at the ned.

Scottish fitba IS crap. Has been for years now, but it's our crap:wink:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful game. Wish I'd watched it on tele.

Lucky to have left with a point, looked like 11 strangers playing. Where has the swagger gone.

Sheridan reminds me of the guy that everyone has worked alongside. The guy that works hard at pretending to look busy while managing to actually do nothing the entire day. Everything is half assed

The 26th minute saw Callum Davidson pick up a yellow card for hauling back Ryan Jack as the two scurried down the touchline- the same fate befell the Dons player when he crudely halted Fran Sandaza a few minutes later.

Lifted off OS

Surely a case of what goes around comes around!!!!!!!!!!

Really, really poor match today and unfortunate for the SPL that it was beamed across the country. Not sure the pitch helped but even allowing for that, both teams have got to do better, especially considering that both defences gave the ball away in dangerous postions on several occasions. Aberdeen always looked more threatening when that happened though.

Actually thought we started alright and Morris was getting the ball ten yards inside their half and making his passes. We had a few half things from decent balls into the channels from that advanced position of the midfield but it didn't last long and after that it was very scrappy. If Morris was touching the ball, it was about ten yards in front of the defence and Sandaza and Sheridan were isolated. Have noticed a difference in Sandaza over the past week or so and not a particularly good one. For all it was a battle, there were several occasions where we exposed McArdle at left back but both Millar and Croft always seemed to want a second touch instead of just taking a pop. Maybe that comes back to the pitch again though.

Disappointed at the reluctance again from the bench to change things too. As said, don't think Sandaza has looked as dangerous in last few matches but hasn't appeared that Lomas has any intention of replacing him. I appreciate a point was better than nothing but would have liked to see the enthusiasm offered by Keatings or Oneyuga. The latter was meant to have looked very good in the reserve match against Motherwell a couple of weeks ago.

Thought today was massive in truth as a win would really have set us on course for the top six. A point isn't a disaster but it means we still have work to do to secure a top six finish. Not achieving that now would have to be viewed as a disappointment.

Atmosphere was ridiculously flat too, could hear a pin drop for most of the match. Contrast to our last away game at Hearts.

Don't recall talking games up on too many occasions but really could do with a win at home next weekend.

Missed the first 20 minutes on Sky as we had just arrived back from Dublin. To be honest I wish I had booked a later flight or stopped off on the way back for lunch! It looked dire stuff indeed. I could not watch any more after about 65 minutes so I went shopping!!!! We looked clueless.

Bring on Dunfermline and more cohesion.

COYS

The 26th minute saw Callum Davidson pick up a yellow card for hauling back Ryan Jack as the two scurried down the touchline- the same fate befell the Dons player when he crudely halted Fran Sandaza a few minutes later.

Lifted off OS

Surely a case of what goes around comes around!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that's not what's in your mind when you are reffin' yourself Ricardo?

Maybe our expectations are moving too far ahead of our ability (which is no bad thing) but I think a point and a clean sheet away from home against a team who have been on decent form recently is not bad. Hopefully that is the ship steadied and we move on and up against Dunfy. COYS

Don't shout at me, but is Sandaza mebbe starting to get a wee bit selfish with the ball - on management instructions? Wasn't there one where he had a shot when there was a Saintee wide waving and shouting (MD??)

The commentary at points was "Sandaza....Sandaza....Sandaza....." which is fine if it ends "and Sandaza gets his hatrick".

It reminded me of times of the old joke, "football is a game of 11 players, and I want 10 of you to pass it to Sandaza".

I don't think it's him. Management putting too much pressure on? Single player strategy? Seems to me in the last few weeks, if SAS doesn't work, we only score through a Morris wonder-goal, or a defender or a midfielder picking up scraps. Not a good strategy going forward if SAS don't recover the golden touch. If they do, of course, no worries. But....?

Don't shout at me, but is Sandaza mebbe starting to get a wee bit selfish with the ball - on management instructions? Wasn't there one where he had a shot when there was a Saintee wide waving and shouting (MD??)

The commentary at points was "Sandaza....Sandaza....Sandaza....." which is fine if it ends "and Sandaza gets his hatrick".

It reminded me of times of the old joke, "football is a game of 11 players, and I want 10 of you to pass it to Sandaza".

I don't think it's him. Management putting too much pressure on? Single player strategy? Seems to me in the last few weeks, if SAS doesn't work, we only score through a Morris wonder-goal, or a defender or a midfielder picking up scraps. Not a good strategy going forward if SAS don't recover the golden touch. If they do, of course, no worries. But....?

It did happen a couple of times on Tuesday night...one in particular where Liam was wide open on the left and Fran tried to beat 3 defenders (by running straight into them)

All down to confidence maybe. The only ones we see having a shot really are Fran, Sheridan and Liam.

Jody has had a few more lately since breaking the long trem duck at Motherwell but is usually of the target.

Muzz does need to do a bit better and I think it's coming but was interesting to note on SPL stats on twitter (not sure if official SPL?) that Dave McKay had some topped the shots on goal league?

The goals will start coming again...

Edited by McD
spelling

Sandaza strikes me at the moment as needing to be taken aside and be told, "just calm down". He's trying far too hard. Head full of playing in the EPL. Mazy dribbles, holding off tackles - great use of body strength - brilliant turns - and then makes a t*** of himself in front of goal. Prozac time. Time for Lomas to earn his dosh, quiet talks on the training field.

Sherridan reminds me of the dog on the Magic Roundabout. When he's clear of - um - distractions, he's ok. Someone take his stash away.

The rest just need leadership. That game was there for the taking. I thought Croft would do it when he came on. Unfortunately someone told him he was Pele as he came on.

Where's the spark gonna come from?

This is such a good team. Just a click and a boom away from Europe.

COYS

On Sandaza, have always felt he can pick a pass really well and it was there today again at times but he just doesn't seem to be playing with the same swagger for me.

I used the term swagger on the previous page too because that seems to be the main issue throughout the team.

The confidence to make a decisive pass or run seems to have deserted the whole team. Against Hibs when they scored I had no doubt we had the players to go right up the park and score.

More frustrating for me is Lomas' lack of subs, it's almost Stark-esque in their timing and he seems to have his favourites who he seems reluctant to remove

Sitting in the Richard Donald Stand in enemy territory it was interesting to hear their take on Fran. Basically they were impressed with his work-rate and stated that he was class.

When you consider what they have up front its no surprise they rate Fran. :laugh:

They were actually a bit wasteful towards the end and had, I think, the better opportunities to score, albeit only one or two.

Liked Broon's assessment re Mannus that we still don't know if the new keeper is able to make a save :laugh:

Point away in a poor performance. Played better v United and Hearts :shock:

SAS lost its spark. Where is it? Hope they can find it again soon.

I always maintain that we are up against 11 other guys who also want the points, and so we have to work hard to win. They won't just let us. We have no right to 3 points no matter how good we think we might be compared to our opponents.

Sitting in the Richard Donald Stand in enemy territory it was interesting to hear their take on Fran. Basically they were impressed with his work-rate and stated that he was class.

[/tells you everything about him that the opposition have 2 & sometimes 3 men closing him down, as he's obviously the no.1 danger man.

This is when you are expecting the others to take advantage of the space he creates.

Not Sherry's best game by a long way.

However lets not be over critical. Been a good season so far.

Hope we have got over our slight hiccup & move forward.

I didnt think we were great but certainly not terrible. I thought Muzz and Jody played well. Defence did ok and we were not under any pressue. Dissapointed with Sheridan, Millar, Craig and Croft but id have taken a point beforehand plus after last wk a clean sheet is a bonus.

That was absolute CRAP today....make no bones about it -pure CRAP.......OK we scrambled ONE point.

We seem to have gone back to Route 1 football -high and non accurate.

Defence escaped on numerous occasions dilly dallying on balls and trying too many fancy touches which resulted in loss of possession.

Midfield -need the Captain to get more out of them.....Chris HIT the fecking ball when your in the oposition box.....Murray what kind of feckin attempt was that with yer right foot -Geez you nearly hit one of the Klondyke boats in the Harbour.....Mr Croft -do you have studs in your boots-if so use longer ones as they should stop you slipping.

Fran -pass the feckin thing.

Mr Lomas -get the ball on the deck -simple football.

£17 quid for kids to watch that guff -

Aberdeen games against Saints are normally dire and any team managed by Craig Brown will always put its defence first so I suppose a 0-0 draw was not a surprise.

Why Sky have chosen to broadcast 2 of these games this year is beyond me.

If I was not a Saints fan I would certainly not have watched all of that game.

Let's hope if we make the top 6 Aberdeen do not as we just cannot seem to get in any flow against them this season.