slovenia v scotland 29/2/12

541ntees

Got to feel sorry for McCormack but who would he have replaced?

Looks like Levein has done a good bit of business if he gets Phillips capped.

Allan McGregor (Rangers), Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Matt Gilks (Blackpool); Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Christophe Berra (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Wigan), Grant Hanley (Blackburn), Russell Martin (Norwich); Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Scott Brown (Celtic), Don Cowie (Cardiff), Graham Dorrans (West Brom), James Morrison (West Brom), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), Matt Phillips (Blackpool); Jamie Mackie (QPR), James Forrest (Celtic), David Goodwillie (Blackburn), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton), Kenny Miller (Cardiff)

I'd go :

------------------Shagger---------------

Hutton Caldwell Berra Bardsley

Bannan Brown Adam Morrison Forrest

----------------Miller-------------------

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im with Levein. he can't back down. fletch pulled out of playing for Scotland so its up to him to say sorry and hes available for selection again until he does Levein has to assume things haven't changed and he doesnt want to play.

If Fletch wanted to play that much he wouldn't let stubborness get in the way. CL has a good team spirit going and going grovelling to Fletch coul ruin that. His 1 up front system hasnt changed and if he did comeback i see his place still on the bench

Steven Fletcher not included in another squad is a disgrace. I can't understand why Levein didn't pick him and the onus would have been placed on Fletcher if he withdrew.

I think Levein could lose his job over this issue.

I thought Steven Fletcher had withdrawn from the international scene and didn't want to play for Scotland ??

Was reading an article in The Scotsman yesterday on the 1974 Scotland World Cup Squad and how proud they were to represent their team regardless if the had got a game or not. Thankfully our present Captain who is missing because of illness, has similar feelings. Difficult to accommodate those who feel different.

I thought Steven Fletcher had withdrawn from the international scene and didn't want to play for Scotland ??

Was reading an article in The Scotsman yesterday on the 1974 Scotland World Cup Squad and how proud they were to represent their team regardless if the had got a game or not. Thankfully our present Captain who is missing because of illness, has similar feelings. Difficult to accommodate those who feel different.

Exactly.....I think that if I had had the opportunity to play football for my country, I would have jumped at every chance I had....would hate to be retired and look back on the times I didn't play because I took a great big cream puff

If Fletcher doesn't want to play then Levein should come out and say so. Latest reports suggest that Fletcher is keen to be involved and was expecting to be in the squad. I would back Levein if he clarified why he has not selected Fletcher but he refuses to comment on the situation.

Fletcher wasn't happy with being left out in Prague where Levein tried his disastrous 4-6-0 formation. If Scotland are to have any chance of qualifying for Brazil,Levein and Fletcher have to put their differences behind them.

On current form Fletcher is the best striker we have.

Levein has clearly stated ever since the initial issue that it was up to Steven Fletcher to let him know that he wished to be selected again. He even said he'd be happy with a quick text, as that was how Fletcher initially withdrew.

The ball is in Fletcher's court and he knows it. Only person culpable here is Mr Fletcher. I think Levein has handled it quite well. I certainly wouldn't have been as easy with him.

Levein is probably sick of talking about it. Talking about him does the rest of the squad a disservice IMO

Edited by ryangordon86

If Fletcher doesn't want to play then Levein should come out and say so. Latest reports suggest that Fletcher is keen to be involved and was expecting to be in the squad. I would back Levein if he clarified why he has not selected Fletcher but he refuses to comment on the situation.

Fletcher wasn't happy with being left out in Prague where Levein tried his disastrous 4-6-0 formation. If Scotland are to have any chance of qualifying for Brazil,Levein and Fletcher have to put their differences behind them.

On current form Fletcher is the best striker we have.

It's quite simple. Fletcher went in the cream puff and decided to not play for Scotland and did in the wrong way. Levein will let him play when he apologises. Fletcher won't do that because he thinks he's brilliant so he won't play. Similar to Tevez really, until yesterday's apology.

Shame there wasn't room for Rhodes, to make him feel a continuing part of the squad. If all goes well, he could be a number 1 pick in a few years. Mackail-Smith was the Rhodes of his day a few years ago.

Not even a sniff of a case for a Saints player this time round, sadly.

Tough game this. Any result will be good, but will go unnoticed in the build-up to England's latest Euro fiasco.

It's quite simple. Fletcher went in the cream puff and decided to not play for Scotland and did in the wrong way. Levein will let him play when he apologises. Fletcher won't do that because he thinks he's brilliant so he won't play. Similar to Tevez really, until yesterday's apology.

7th top scorer in the EPL would suggest that it's very much in Levein's interest to sort out their differences. None of the other strikers in the squad are in the same class.

Barclays Premier League Top Scorers

Van Persie Arsenal 22

Rooney Man Utd 17

Ba Newcastle 16

Aguero Man City 15

Yakubu Blackburn 13

Dzeko Man City 12

Adebayor Tottenham 10

Dempsey Fulham 10

Fletcher Wolverhampton 10

Graham Swansea 10

Bale Tottenham 9

Balotelli Man City 9

Bent Aston Villa 9

Holt Norwich 9

Lampard Chelsea 9

Last very similar case was Duncan Ferguson. He only had 4 caps, no goals, made no impact for Scotland, mainly because of the way they played him as a route one target man. No loss in the end, although to be fair he was followed by a great generation of strikers. Fletcher is different class, but I can't see a solution He has to apoligise - no player is bigger than the team - but he won't - end of.

Will he regret it when he retires? Dunno - £30 million in the bank - would we?

7th top scorer in the EPL would suggest that it's very much in Levein's interest to sort out their differences. None of the other strikers in the squad are in the same class.

Barclays Premier League Top Scorers

Van Persie Arsenal 22

Rooney Man Utd 17

Ba Newcastle 16

Aguero Man City 15

Yakubu Blackburn 13

Dzeko Man City 12

Adebayor Tottenham 10

Dempsey Fulham 10

Fletcher Wolverhampton 10

Graham Swansea 10

Bale Tottenham 9

Balotelli Man City 9

Bent Aston Villa 9

Holt Norwich 9

Lampard Chelsea 9

So because he's having a good season he can do and say as he likes? Has he joined Chelsea or something? If this was a Saints player who acted like this would you be blaming Lomas?

Edited by ODAB

I'm not saying that Fletcher is blameless. My complaint is that as manager of the national team Levein should be trying to resolve the problem. He should state whether he wants Fletcher to apologise or if he has no plans to include him in future squads.

It appears that Fletcher wants to play but Levein will not say why he won't select him. If Levein selected Fletcher and he withdrew the pressure would be taken off Levein.

He has tried to resolve it. Levein isn't in the wrong, he has given Fletcher an Olive branch. So far Fletcher has ignored him and is behaving like a spoilt brat.

Do you expect Levein to throw away his principles and go begging to a player who has rejected his country?

I'd rather have a manager with a bit of backbone, no player is bigger than the squad.

I'm not saying that Fletcher is blameless. My complaint is that as manager of the national team Levein should be trying to resolve the problem. He should state whether he wants Fletcher to apologise or if he has no plans to include him in future squads.

It appears that Fletcher wants to play but Levein will not say why he won't select him. If Levein selected Fletcher and he withdrew the pressure would be taken off Levein.

Where has fletcher been quoted as saying he wants to play? I've not seen him say that anywhere

You have a point. I'd go half way with a public statement from CL saying I'll pick you if you say you want to play.

Oh my actual god. Levein has gone public saying if Fletcher wants to play all he has to do is send a text. If Fletcher wants to play he knows what to do. The fact he hasn't done so would suggest he doesn't want to. It's that simple.

He has tried to resolve it. Levein isn't in the wrong, he has given Fletcher an Olive branch. So far Fletcher has ignored him and is behaving like a spoilt brat.

Do you expect Levein to throw away his principles and go begging to a player who has rejected his country?

I'd rather have a manager with a bit of backbone, no player is bigger than the squad.

I would like a manager to sort the problem out to ensure the best outcome for the national team. I don't expect Levein to go begging him to play but Fletcher has made it clear that he wants to play but will not make the first contact with Levein.

Levein needs to make the correct decision and select the best striker available to the national team.