"A Match For Europe"

thementalshimmy

Anybody else watch "A Match For Europe" and think that St. Johnstone have to be one of the worst clubs in terms of player development & would rather have short term financal security over developing the club/scottish game for the future.

Every fault mentioned in that programme just reeked of St. Johnstone FC.

When you look at the players we have produced(or failed to produce) in recent years I can only think of Kevin Moon as one that made it. You could say players like Cuthbert, Doris, Malone & Baxter came through but none managed to sustain a first team place & were eventually moved on.

Can't understand how a player like Steven McManus who played for Scotland at youth level never made it through too a first team player, surely something or someone to blame for that.

Anyway whats everyone else's thoughts on youth development at Saints & in Perth in general?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a pretty small catchment area for young players do we not? Close enough to Glasgow or Edinburgh for anybody with pretty good talent to go down there. Far enough away so that those who don't make it at the bigger teams dont consider us, they have livi, Falkirk et al to go to.

But yeah we rarely give youth a chance at saints. McIntosh seems to be a guy in pretty outstanding for the U19s yet we haven't seen anything of him in the first team. Not even the last 10 mins in a game we are comfortably winning/ losing.

We have a pretty small catchment area for young players do we not? Close enough to Glasgow or Edinburgh for anybody with pretty good talent to go down there.

Well if you were to take Perth & Kinross as a hole we are the only professional club in this area so i suppose this would come down to "all the teams working together" in some sort of gentleman’s agreement between clubs that this was our area for players.

I would also say at the moment there is not a perth league for under 17's as there was only going to be 3 teams!!! how that has been let to happen it's disgraceful there surely has to be enough 16 yearolds to have a decent sized perth league?

Have to say what Falkirk were doing seemed very positive & will be interesting to see where the club go's in the next few years.

The whole programme was not to positive from a Saints point of view, they used our ground to show poor play against Dundee United and low crowds by taking a shot of the Ormond stand empty during the same game.

McInnes also made it clear that the current SPL set up suits Saints for financial reasons and will probably be why when Rangers go out of business we will vote to let the new co back into the SPL.

With regard to local football, its always been that way in the last few years. Back in 2000 there were 15 teams in the under 13 league, the same team 4 years later was only playing 6 local teams. Now the 13's league is smaller so by 17's etc there will be no Perth league.

I can only hope the national academy's working with schools does work. I honestly think that in 20 years you could do the same programme, our world ranking will be the same, our UEFA ranking will be about the same, the old firm will still have total control of the league system.

I thought the programme stated what most of us have known for years but it was good to have it summarised and importantly by those in the game. St. Johnstone haven't done that much in terms of youth in the last 20 years compared to the Saints that had John Connolly (to Everton), Gordon Smith (to Aston Villa), Jim Pearsn ( to Everton), Ally McCoist (to Sunderland) within a decade, not exactly small clubs. It may just be a sign of the weakness of Scottish football that has caused this decline.

I think the new regional schools of excellence might be the option for Saints, Dundee and Dundee Utd. to recruit locally once they start producing. These youngsters are going to be developed with technical skills but also the Dutch and consequently Barcelona (through Johan Cruyff) 4-3-3 system. However what happens when these kids go to clubs playing 4-4-2 and long balls - are they wasted?

Edited by Ronaldo
spelling

well said real madrid. i am with you on the low number of football teams in perth. scotland has an amazing grass roots set up, or did.

who knows, perhaps football just has too man xboxs to compete with these days...

Or perhaps getting up on a freezing cold Sunday morning just isn't as appealing to youngsters as staying in their bed. Summer football, particularly at youth level, would help ease so many problems.

Or perhaps getting up on a freezing cold Sunday morning just isn't as appealing to youngsters as staying in their bed. Summer football, particularly at youth level, would help ease so many problems.

Summer football for youth teams woould make so much sense. If you take last winter there couldn't have been many youth games taking place by between late November & January.

Also they were talking about facilities on the programme, a lot of investment has went into sports facilities in Perth recently which has to be a positive for sport in general in the area.

sky tv, home deliveries, cold winters, obesity (uk are the fattest in europe...are scots fatter and lazier than english,i do not know but it wouldnt suprise me and add to that the highest level of heart disease in europe, we can also blame education for some of the blame ( a child spends a third of his time at school...are maybe some kind of a start of an explination?

how many amongst yous are married to a woman that cant heat up a tin of beans or defrost a pizza properly?

health and education are the roots of a strong nation

gouverned by whores who prefer to import healthier people to do the job you did at a lower price and leaving you with out the money needed to invest correctly in your childrens need for a healthier living

take a hike i hear!

aye,its cheaper

and i did not precise it is men who are fattest

Edited by ANDY5565

It seems crazy that summer football has not been implemented for youths. I played U14 through to U17 and the amount of games called off between November and February was ridiculous. In fact that they actually take the goalposts at the inch down during the summer months. Unreal.

Would also allow kids who normally play on a Saturday afternoon to play in the summer and go and watch Saints in the winter.

On the obesity thing...I was in Spain last year and saw a local guy that was fatter than me....1-0 us :D

Would also allow kids who normally play on a Saturday afternoon to play in the summer and go and watch Saints in the winter.

On the obesity thing...I was in Spain last year and saw a local guy that was fatter than me....1-0 us :D

you are as fat as a...pull thru for a slug gun and slimmer than a badly cooked spagehtti strand

Would have liked to have seen a few more people from the business end of Scottish football give their perspective on things. Derek McInnes mentioned that Saints preferred the current league set-up because it's better financially - so where was Geoff Brown to give his view on things? And where was/is David Murray for that matter? If I had to blame one individual for everything that's wrong with Scottish football today, he'd be the clear candidate.

Would have liked to have seen a few more people from the business end of Scottish football give their perspective on things. Derek McInnes mentioned that Saints preferred the current league set-up because it's better financially - so where was Geoff Brown to give his view on things? And where was/is David Murray for that matter? If I had to blame one individual for everything that's wrong with Scottish football today, he'd be the clear candidate.

geoff brown nose feck all.he wants rid of substitutes.he voted for the spl.might have been a business man and kept saints on an even keel but just follows on the coattails of the OF.what did he ken about the ordinary fan?

as for murray i agree with yer verdict.ayr united were right to knock back that t***.are ayr in administration NO.i rest my case.

As soon as I saw Jim Trayners name attached to this programme, I couldn't bring myself to watch it!!

It is harder for teams like Saints to bring youngsters through. In days gone by, talented kids were picked up locally and hardly anybody outside of that region knew about them until they reached a certain age (14, 15, 16 even)

These days, the bigger teams have scouts looking at kids as young as under-9 all over the country, with some English teams having scouts up here as well.

The attraction for kids (and their parents) to ferry back and forward to training sessions associated with the 'bigger' teams results in many doing so, in my opinion, not realising how detrimental this 'hoover up' approach is to the kids development, and ultimately their confidence, when they get unceremoniously dumped.

I know of several lads under 9 who having gone along to Celtic / Hibs programmes are actually now lesser players than they were a year ago.

The geme is rubbish compared to my day.

The current Saints players are good for there time but really not good when you consider everything else.

The modern player just had to be strong.

Geoff Broon is as bad as Murray and the rest of them. These kind of people have made the geme all about business.

I think that's part of the problem in a way because all the SPL turned out to be was each club "needed" at least three games against the OF two of which two might be away from home. If there was an increase in revenue through this motive it was used by many clubs to buy many players from abroad and little investment in youth. The best thing that has happened recently has been by the SFA. Money will follow the football product rather than football following the money.

Saints have spent more years outside the SPL since it was created than in but a bigger top league might have meant three years out and continuity in business terms. Maybe that's why youth set-ups and reserve leagues suffered. I don't think Del believed in the club's view but might be wrong.