An open letter to St Johnstone Chairman Steve Brown

Calypso Kid

I wonder what the repercussions would be for St Johnstone if the chairman (member of the SPL board) publically stated that Doncaster and the press etc were telling blatant lies? That is the type of scenario that could end up with the club facing sanctions, which we would not deserve. As much as all the statements about Doncaster is true, he is still the boss. I had a boss like that once, if I had stood up to him my career would have been over. No trumpet blowing, but I have a better job than him now. There are times when weathering a storm quietly is the only option.

I really wish, without trying to point fingers, and meant respectfully, that fans would try to see things from SB's point of view. The guy is chairman but has other responsibilities outwith Saints, he has the best interests of the club at heart, and we KNOW that for a fact. Him and his father before him have got almost every difficult decision right for 26 years (something that probably makes Saints unique in world football), AND he has a responsibility to act appropriately as an SPL board member.

Whilst many on here judge on the basis of the typed words of proven truth twisters, and the spoken word of absolute bellends like Doncaster, I will base my hopes and assumptions on 26 years of precedent for Saints doing the right thing.

Whatever they are going to do, they need to do it bloody quick.

Two meetings this week and who knows what the outcomes are going to be.

The baws bust on Scottish football and its a disgraceful situation.

No one seems to be taking notice of this other than the supporters so maybe UEFA should be the place to go, but again it will need supporters across the country to support it.

I wonder what the repercussions would be for St Johnstone if the chairman (member of the SPL board) publically stated that Doncaster and the press etc were telling blatant lies? That is the type of scenario that could end up with the club facing sanctions, which we would not deserve. As much as all the statements about Doncaster is true, he is still the boss. I had a boss like that once, if I had stood up to him my career would have been over.

Montrose - the SPL Board chooses the Chief Executive: he reports to them, not the other way around. THEY are the bosses, not Cockwomble.

I will base my hopes and assumptions on 26 years of precedent for Saints doing the right thing.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

If there is a legal or otherwise justifiable reason for our Chairman not making any statement publicly, all he needs to say is "I would love to be able to tell the St Johnstone supporters what is going on, but I am prevented from doing so because .... (insert reason here)"

I would be satsified with that. Just say SOMETHING, Steve!

Whatever they are going to do, they need to do it bloody quick.

Two meetings this week and who knows what the outcomes are going to be.

The baws bust on Scottish football and its a disgraceful situation.

No one seems to be taking notice of this other than the supporters so maybe UEFA should be the place to go, but again it will need supporters across the country to support it.

Pretty sure uefa are well aware of what is going on and the while situation pretty much flies in the face of all they are trying to do with fair play etc.

The sfa/spl/sfl ultimately have to appease uefa and FIFA at all costs.

You are right, the ball is burst, the guys running the game in Scotland have now lost the faith of almost every fan in the country and yet they continue this policy of getting rangers up the leagues as high as they can, while making sure they have done just enough to keep uefa happy.

Craig Burley column: Sending newco Ranger to Division Three will KILL Scottish game

Jul 1 2012 By Craig Burley

I CAN understand why most chairmen will vote against a Rangers newco in the SPL next season. That doesn’t mean to say I agree with their decision.

It will give the First Division clubs a chance to have the Ibrox club in with them – and they must not turn down that opportunity.

Morton, Raith, Falkirk and Dunfermline have said they do not want Rangers. I find that staggering. What on earth are they thinking about?

This is an unexpected opportunity and one they should be kicking down doors to have. Think about it.

The First Division clubs will receive extra revenue in a number of ways. Television will buy into the league with Rangers in it. Sponsorship, advertising and corporate sales will go up.

Players will get a chance to play four times against Rangers, experiencing the atmosphere of Ibrox. And there are the benefits of that. For example, if a player from Partick Thistle or Cowdenbeath excels against a Lee Wallace or a Lee McCulloch, it will attract publicity and scouts from other clubs.

If the lad can go on to show a level of consistency then he could become a £100,000 player to that club.

Remember when Falkirk beat Rangers last season in the League Cup. Farid El Alagui scored and was the name on everyone’s lips for a few weeks.

It’s up to the chairmen to put a detailed business plan to their fans and highlight the positives of having Rangers in that league. But maybe one or two of them don’t have the intelligence to do so.

As soon as one says “no” to Rangers, then they all seem to jump on the bandwagon. Will someone please have the balls to stand up and say “yes”. I’m pretty sure some want to but are fearful of repercussions from their own fans.

Football fans around the country must be very careful what they wish for because if newco Rangers chairman Malcolm Murray has to take his team into the Third Division, then Scottish football would be as well locking the gates and throwing away the key.

Rangers in the bottom tier is the last thing the game in this country needs. Trust me on that one. At the moment the game in Scotland is an embarrassment because it’s lacking leadership, answers and guidance.

But there will be worse to come if the chairman of the SFL clubs vote for the wrong thing in the coming weeks.

Regardless of the vote, Rangers will be nowhere near the team they were last season. They have lost too many of their quality players and will not have the funds to replace them with a similar standard.

I happen to think Steve Davis, Allan McGregor, Steven Naismith and the rest are correct to go. It’s about the coin and the league you are playing in. No amount of badge-kissing will ever win over that.

Steven Whittaker has signed for Norwich and it will be interesting to see how he fares in the Premiership week-in, week-out. Is he a proper full-back who can defend against the best or nothing more than a player with a good engine?

Good luck to him at Carrow Road but I think he might be playing in the Championship with them the season after next.

Kyle Lafferty has signed for FC Sion in Switzerland. That is a good league and there’s every chance he will get found out there as the only thing you are guaranteed from him is inconsistency.

At the end of the day there’s far too much bull**** from players and the muppets must stop believing them.

However, there will be a chance for some people to restore my faith in Scottish football and that is to make sure Rangers’ punishment is a sensible one, one that also benefits the long-term well-being of the game.

It must not be about satisfying the wishes of too many fans who are here today and gone tomorrow. Sadly, though, I do think the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

This engrained lack of understanding is what we're up against. This guff will go out and the Sevco fans will lap it up. Burley has failed to grasp, and has probably lost sight of, the big picture.

So the fans are "muppets" and "lunatics" who are "here today and gone tomorrow"? See when someone walks up to you in the street and smacks you in the coupon Craig - please don't tell us you were shocked by it.

Cheers, hadn't seen that. Shame though.

He got into quite the argument with Airdire fans over it. And I can see his point. Why should the team who finished 4th go up. Would be a great season opener though for this year.. League runners up vs Play off runners up for the spare slot.

You can't have a Third Division that is a team short: that would mean every club having fewer fixtures and therefore a drop in revenue. .

Agree with your point, but funnily enough the bottom league in Scotland has run "a team short" for much of the post-war period. Every Saturday, one team ddin't get a game. Can't remember how it first came about, but Clydebank were admitted in the early sixties to even up the numbers, but that only lasted a year as Third Lanark promptly went tits-up.

The numbers were never evened-up again for many years, until Meadowbank Thistle were admitted. I remember all this because I was largely dragged-up in Elgin, easily the best Highland League team of the era, and it was always assumed they would be let in if it ever happened. There was somethingof a stooshie when MT got in instead. The argument at the time was that it wasn't fair to expect poor little central belt teams to travel all he way to Morayshire..... This was despite Elgin knocking league teams out of the cup almost every year - some of you might remember them being 1 - 0 up against Celtic in the third round with ten minutes to go.

Scotttish lague management - pricks then and pricks now.

So the fans are "muppets" and "lunatics" who are "here today and gone tomorrow"? See when someone walks up to you in the street and smacks you in the coupon Craig - please don't tell us you were shocked by it.

Burley is probably the worst commentator/analyst there is.It was bad enough with ESPN where very few people have to listen to him but feck knows how he got a job with ITV.

I wonder what the repercussions would be for St Johnstone if the chairman (member of the SPL board) publically stated that Doncaster and the press etc were telling blatant lies? That is the type of scenario that could end up with the club facing sanctions, which we would not deserve. As much as all the statements about Doncaster is true, he is still the boss. I had a boss like that once, if I had stood up to him my career would have been over. No trumpet blowing, but I have a better job than him now. There are times when weathering a storm quietly is the only option.

Doncaster isn't Steve Brown's boss. It's not as if Doncaster can sack him. If Steve Brown feels that Doncaster, or anyone else, is guilty of wrongdoing, then it is his duty to speak out and do something about it. After all, we've all happily criticised people behind the scenes at Rangers for not speaking out. It's only right that we apply the same standards to the people running our own club.

First (and the way things are looking possibly last) post. Only really signed up to vote no in your poll on the newco pages.

Not held a season ticket for a few years but have managed to get to around 75% of home games. Was minded early last week to buy 2 season tickets to support the club but now in the wake of the revelations re the SPL chairmen wanting to only drop Rangers into SFL1 I will hold back and depending on the outcome I (like many others it seems) will not be back.

Don't particularly want to have to buy a new scarf - are there any local junior teams who play in blue and white?

Quoting from Craig Burley's piece...'what's up with them?'

The First Division clubs will receive extra revenue in a number of ways. Television will buy into the league with Rangers in it. Sponsorship, advertising and corporate sales will go up.

Players will get a chance to play four times against Rangers, experiencing the atmosphere of Ibrox. And there are the benefits of that. For example, if a player from Partick Thistle or Cowdenbeath excels against a Lee Wallace or a Lee McCulloch, it will attract publicity and scouts from other clubs.

If the lad can go on to show a level of consistency then he could become a £100,000 player to that club.

From this it is quite clear that in Mr Burley's eyes the most important thing for a football club is £££££ - and really nothing else matters

From this it is quite clear that in Mr Burley's eyes the most important thing for a football club is £££££ - and really nothing else matters

I wonder how long it is since Mr Burley last stuck his hand in his pocket and actually paid to get into a game instead of being a freeloading shyte? :rolleyes:

Quoting from Craig Burley's piece...'what's up with them?'

This excerpt in particular is waffling guff from Burley. Misleading twaddle.

going to be an interesting couple of days

tonight the talk is not good

full scale 99% of sponsors will pull out scaremongering

3 possible spl chairmen doing a u-turn

Allan Rennie ‏@AllanRennie1

At least three chairmen now in secret talks to allow Rangers back into SPL. Tomorrow's #dailyrecord

Retweeted by Pie and Bovril

worst case for rangers is if the spl and sfl vote goes against rangers they will form an invitation only spl2 - division 3 not an option.

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but 99% of supporters have pull-out clauses too !! WE CAN DO WALKING AWAY !! ***********************************************

The cynic in me would wonder if capturing Croft and even talk of Fran back (please please please) is to sweeten us up for SPL1 or SPL2 RangersNewco.....

Edited by belfastsaintee

This can work both ways

If these sponsors pull out, we the fans can withdraw all our custom.

Most old firm fans won't have the cash to keep these businesses going.

The next 2 days are going to see a lot of Rangers propaganda in the press. Lets just hope the chairmen stand strong.

I will defiantly now wait until after Wednesday to decide on the season ticket purchase.

it was on the radio on saturday that 42% of saints income comes from the spl money. if our turnover is £4 million and that is reduced by 40% if all the sponsors, tv pull out, that is a turnover of £2.5 million but our last wage bill published (2009/10) was £2.8 million and has probably gone up since then.

:shock::shock::shock:

tv sponsors . if they pull out will be subject to boycotts. this all scaremongering.

you think if sky did pull out no one would replace them ?

some might argue skys deal is cheap considering they tell scottish teams when to play and it fills all their scheduling gaps. considering they just paid THREE BILLION for the EPL.

Sky will get boycotted and BT or ESPN will fill the gap as they look to boost their profiles

this will be an interesting couple of days that for many may determine if they ever watch another game ...

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but 99% of supporters have pull-out clauses too !! WE CAN DO WALKING AWAY !! ***********************************************