Lomas Must Go - Here's Why.

MySpazz

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time posting but I have been moved to as I am deeply concerned & I'm glad this topic has been raised!

There are strong positives and negatives from both sides of the arguement and I would GENERALLY be loathed to go down the road of any Romanov like knee-jerk reaction, however...............the post match comments after the Rangers game were absolutley disgraceful!

It appears to show a manager who is not up for any sort of challenge. Clearly a man who can call on such a wide range of contacts such as SL should not be phased in the slightest about rebuilding a team in that can offer European competition. But no, it is merely a "hinderance".

A manager with such wide playing experience at an extremely high level should be aware just how much these types of European adventure mean to the fans at clubs who will perhaps only get near the Europa League/Champions League once or twice in every ten years.

SL even still appeared to have a pop at the West Ham fans for wanting/hoping that their club could push on after finishing 5th in the EPL.

I would say that SL is fortunate to be at a club which is well run and has a loyal, fairly undemanding fan base! We realise that good year means no relegation dog-fight and a reasonable cup run.

No good EVER comes of a manager airing his percieved greivances in public! Regardless of merit it comes over as whiny and they rarely win.

Now, there is always merit in giving a manager some time to face trouble and see how they overcome it. Two years ago Saints couldnt hit a barn door but were sound defensively. DM addressed this for this season which showed that he knew what to do and when to do it.

Fair enough Sl has only had the January transfer window to make a mark but this has not been good enough. Lee Croft aside they have been pointless and have offered neither the club nor the players anything positive. This does not bode well.

Does this suggest that SL is a poor judge of player? Does it suggest that he can not see where a squad may be deficient and address that positively?

Some posters have suggested that he should be getting some help dealing with the media, however as a player he was captain of a then successful Premiership club and a noted internationalist, he is no stranger to dealing with the media.

Perhaps we have shot our luck giving untried managers a punt over recent years and with the timing of DM's departure should I have gone for an older, experienced hand to keep the ship steady?

I dont know and wont pretend to have all or even any of the answers but I feel that right now Saints are at a crossroads and sometimes a club has to quickly move if it has made a bad decision.

G W D L Win%

26 10 5 11 38.46

I think it would be a bit rash to think about getting shot of SL so quickly. Apart from the split games his results up until then were not too bad. Albeit performances weren't great.

I do find that he seems a tad unable to get the team going or cajole them from the touch line the way that OC or Del did which is a bit worrying.

This group of players had to split up sometime though and maybe now's the time. With his own squad he'll hopefully be able to have more input from the dugout.

We've got to give him a chance and get behind him and his players next season. To make the top 6 twice in a row is maybe too much to ask though. As long we stay in the SPL and SL seems to be building a team then that's got to be viewed as a success.

Oh and maybe The Europa League group stages!

Just looking at Jonny's profile, he has deleted all posts except one which is a defence of Lomas and what he has managed to achieve so far on a 'limited budget'. Interesting.

did ye also notice before albert tatlock was banned he also deleted lots of his posts.very interesting.

Notwithstanding everything negative said here about our manager - I think it is unfair to be talking so harshly. That said I was very disappointed to read in the Sunday Post from an interview with him, words along the lines of (and I paraphrase)...

'although we sympathise with the plight that Rangers find themselves in, we are determined to win today'.

Now please tell me I got the wrong end of the stick from that interview. However, if I got it right it beggars belief that Steve does not realise how much we and the rest of Scottish football utterly despise the OF? What is he talking about 'WE SYMPATHISE...'

I dont think Lomas quite understands the importance and pride our fans would take in European football next year. Reaching Europe will always be our highest aspiration, as winning the title simply isn't possible for a club outside the old firm. Suggesting Europe is a 'hindrance' just stamps on the hopes of all St.Johnstone fans, young and old. Took my 90 year old grandad to his last game as a season ticket holder, I quoted Lomas's comments to him and he reacted with 'we spend years fighting tooth and nail to get where we are, and now weer here it's an inconveniance. ludicrous'

I personally think its too early to make a judgement on Lomas but just thought I'd offer some food for thought.

Ater following saints for 60 years I agree wie yir grandad when we get the pssibility of Europe and we hear the crap sl has been sayin it is just another kick in the hehaws that comes with being a saints fan I was actually thinking off coming back again this summer so I could see a saints Europe game well I guess I will save a few bucks

Ater following saints for 60 years I agree wie yir grandad when we get the pssibility of Europe and we hear the crap sl has been sayin it is just another kick in the hehaws that comes with being a saints fan I was actually thinking off coming back again this summer so I could see a saints Europe game well I guess I will save a few bucks

Dont be so harsh. We dont know how things are gonna go. Get your tickets booked!

I cant help but smile at how many peaks and troughs this thread has. Its like the Pepsi Max at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Gotta love WAP :D

The form of the split games and a Little before has been poor, but who would have taken that before it happened?most of us i would assume.

We have had a very good season and have witnessed one of the best strikers the Club will ever have.

We have had a great away record and some really good results to boot, this should be a time to enjoy what has been achieved , instead it's all doom and gloom.

to cry for the Managers head before he has even had one close season and a chance to build his own team is ridiculous at this stage.

Does no one else think that the lack of players being offered deals just now is down to the board and some of the Managers statements are borne out of frustration at the lack of movement there, i'm sure that in normal circumstances deals would have been sorted by now, but the have not because of the Rangers situation.Can any body really blame the board for showing a bit a caution there though, after all prudence is the St.Johnstone way , and not knowing where Rangers will be , but not necessarily not having them is bound to have an effect on Budget thoughts.

The managers comments in the press have not been very wise to say the least, but i am still not sure how much as been taken out of contest by the press and he is clearly very raw when it comes to this, but managers will always see things from a different angle from time to time.Deluded, not sure if you mean im dreaming of a League without Rangers Stevie old boy but i have my views on a 14/16 team League playing each other twice where i believe playing Dundee in a successful season for both teams would generate more interest than a run of the mill "5" time of the season old firm game.

Note to Mr Lomas- If you continue to stand against the dug-out looking disinterested or other such postures you will quickly lose my support.I believe that there is not a lot you can do when the players cross the white line but you can and must at least look interested.

If you make only one meaningless substitution in a game you will quickly lose my support.

If you continue to attend functions and explain your decisions to the support you will have my backing

It, is clear that your comments in the press have given you an extra hurdle and you have upset a core of the support, wither you believe what you said or not

I don't believe he has lost the changing room, i was at the POTY and all the players appeared to be onside.

I don't believe the crap being spouted about a drinking culture, besides i supported Saints through most of the Ormond era and the Tay Motel would have been bust without Saints on a Saturday.

So to sum up , i will give the Manager a chance to build his own team and support him for now, i will give Stevie Brown my backing, and look forward to some of his "Ideas" becoming reality, i look forward to the new season and will start with being happy with 11th and steps up the ladder as i have always done. but i will be calling for his head as i have done before(Stark Inverness) if there is a lack of passion , and lack of attempts to change formations/ use of subs ect ect.

Good luck Steve(s) i think your going to need it!!

Oh and Larky, If I didnt know you personally. I may just of shed a tear :wink:

Tough call, but i think you have to give him some time. I disagree with the comments about managers not being able to do much after players "cross the line". Motivation, tactical awareness, organisation and substitutions can win or lose a game and these have been key qualities that we have enjoyes with OC and DM. The same qualities that have been sadly lacking in recent times.

However, there is something strange going on, when the players perform in such a flat manner when the carrot of European football has been dangling. SL's comments have understandably alienated fans, with his lack of ambition. My brain tells me to give him some time, with his squad but i have a nagging feeling that the "takes time to gel" excuse will still be getting rolled out in November.

Key Quotes from the Courier Feature which as others have said are enthusiastic. Gladly, they are also free of talking Europe down and talking Rangers up which were mistakes made at the worst possible moment.

As a young enthusiastic manager, though, it's a task he's relishing.

He said: ''In many ways, maybe it's not a bad thing.

''The supporters will get to see some new players and maybe we need freshened up.

''The great thing for me will be going through a new challenge and I'm looking forward to it. It's a challenge I'll take on."

He added: ''I'd like to get three or four in the next couple of weeks so we've got a good core for pre-season training. Then we're only looking for three or four in those last few weeks before the season starts.

''The last thing we want is needing six or seven the week before we kick off.

''The lads who will be leaving have done a great job and we'd have liked to keep a few but unfortunately we haven't been able to get the deals done.

''Chris Millar was made a very good offer. That was the surprise one to us. It was a very good deal in the present climate. Not many players are getting two-year contracts."

Lomas said: ''I'll be sitting down with my chairman over the next few days.

''It's not going to be easy. The bare minimum would be 10 to 12 — 12 would take us up to a squad of 22 and that would still be the smallest in the league.

''People think that the season stops and you start looking for players but it's been never ending speaking to people over the last few months and that will continue.

Steve, if you're reading......

STOP.

Assuming "Johnny" was Lomas, and for once RyanGordon's paranoia is justified,

Slightly alarnmed that the manager of a major professional football club feels the need to respond to the drunken, post-very disappointing result rantings of (on the whole, me included) a bunch of clueless nobodys.

I would expect more professional detachment, more objectivity, more maturity, and most of all, more self-confidence.

Do your thing. If you succeed, we'll gladly have your children. If you fail, feck off. But as some have siad, please look like you're trying, and please PLEASE try not to look like you have a season-ticket at Ibrox. Professional courtesy between managers is best kept for the private, after-match drink, not the national media, where you have to at least PRETEND that you hate the feckers. Like we do.

All that said, anyone who doesn't give you 6 months and a new squad before judging is, frankly, once the post-match hysteria has calmed down, an eejit.

Steve, if you're reading......

STOP.

Assuming "Johnny" was Lomas, and for once RyanGordon's paranoia is justified,

Slightly alarnmed that the manager of a major professional football club feels the need to respond to the drunken, post-very disappointing result rantings of (on the whole, me included) a bunch of clueless nobodys.

I would expect more professional detachment, more objectivity, more maturity, and most of all, more self-confidence.

Do your thing. If you succeed, we'll gladly have your children. If you fail, feck off. But as some have siad, please look like you're trying, and please PLEASE try not to look like you have a season-ticket at Ibrox. Professional courtesy between managers is best kept for the private, after-match drink, not the national media, where you have to at least PRETEND that you hate the feckers. Like we do.

All that said, anyone who doesn't give you 6 months and a new squad before judging is, frankly, once the post-match hysteria has calmed down, an eejit.

Going for a lie down cos I am sure I agree with you for once. :)

Jonny if it is you keep reading your job is a managerial post at the football club I love, support and cherish it is not subservient to other clubs and certainly not the tainted club you supported as a boy. So wise up and I'll support you evermore but please dont shirk the tackle or hide from the real challenge which is making St Johnstone the best small club in Scotland. This is not West Ham reserves or St Neots it's your first real job in management seize the day and be a leader. That means doing the basic things well. And get behind us or why should we get behind you. Search every post Ive ever written on this forum and you will find that I am one of the realists but that should not be mistaken for lack of passion. You need to believe in this club or we cannot believe in you. It really is that simple.

Edited by soulfulsaint

Jonny if it is you keep reading your job is a managerial post at the football club I love, support and cherish it is not subservient to other clubs and certainly not the tainted club you supported as a boy. So wise up and I'll support you evermore but please dont shirk the tackle or hide from the real challenge which is making St Johnstone the best small club in Scotland. This is not West Ham reserves or St Neots it's your first real job in management seize the day and be a leader. That means doing the basic things well. And get behind us or why should we get behind you. Search every post Ive ever written on this forum and you will find that I am one of the realists but that should not be mistaken for lack of passion. You need to believe on this club or we cannot believe in you. It really is that simple.

Proportinoate, sensible, admiable. And is'nt it difficult to spell when you're psiied.

More seriously, this.

I think Johnny made some good points about himself. :laugh: I also think he and everyone else including me overreacted on Sunday. I think any club's fans would have reacted the same way with that fiinish to the season even though there were reasons for that finish. The last seven games offered us 21 points and we got 1. However six of these games were against the eventual top five teams and so we weren't good enough against them when it came to it. The question is whether we can maintain that standard or thereabouts. We should remember that before these last seven games we only lost one game in the previous nine.

So I think he should get on and get things done for the pre-season since his plans are well in progress according to the Courier but his Sunday post match interview suggested he was waiting for Board action. I think his like or not for Rangers is not that important especially as he got cautioned in his first game for us and that was against Rangers when he was furious at a decision against us.

I know say Chick Young for example would say "Who do St.Johnstone think they are?" as he did when we didn't give his pal a job for life and will be really annoyed at a thread like this. I like the fact we get under the skin of OF centric journalists. The BBC were influenced to put license fee payers money into a documentary series about Gretna but people like Chick get annoyed when we want to live the dream and get as high up the league as we can. It's seen as being above our station. Yes our crowds are down on the last time we were in the SPL but our budget is nowhere near the lowest.

We've given first chances and career re-starts to so many great players and managers over our history so Steve should take this chance and prove he's got what it takes to do well at a higher level.

I think Johnny made some good points about himself. :laugh: I also think he and everyone else including me overreacted on Sunday.

We've given first chances and career re-starts to so many great players and managers over our history so Steve should take this chance and prove he's got what it takes to do well at a higher level.

100% agree with you as ever Ronaldo. I really want Steve to succeed I just need him to demonstrate a greater affinity with what Saints are all about

100% agree with you as ever Ronaldo. I really want Steve to succeed I just need him to demonstrate a greater affinity with what Saints are all about

Agreed, in most of his interviews he talks about 'my boys' but refers to the club as St. Johnstone (or little St. Johnstone when he's having a dig at refs) however as a supporter, i would like our manager to refer to the club as 'us' or 'we'

Just a personal preference but demonstrates that he is a Saintee