The Big 'Lets create an atmosphere' thread.

PerthSaints_1884

Well, in Turkey even very small team's fans enjoy a lot before and during the matches. They prepare songs, choreographies, banners etc.

İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi ( İBB ) team is a good example. It is the team of İstanbul municipality. Think that a municipality team can have any supporters ?

Yes, they have. They are not more than 150 people and it is very funny that they are playing home games in olympic stadium has a capacity of 70.000 :)

You can not believe how effectively they support their team. I do not mean just shouting. Every fan group in Turkey respects them.

Their name is ''BOZ BAYKUŞLAR'' which means ''GREY OWLS''. I think they might give a light to Saints fans for the beginning. Then as Saints fans are much bigger in number from them, saints will be more effective.

I will send some videos abou them asap. You will laugh a lot but respect it too :)

Great ideas on this thread, hopefully a new thread will be created by a more experienced forumer to get confirmed names of fans who would be involved in this singing group and a name for this singing group. Motherwell created a singing group a few years back and have 100/120 fans who agreed to be part of this singing group and sing in a section watched closely by the strathclyde police. The green brigade have a section and the club keep tickets specially for green brigade members and you must get in contact with the green brigade head to be allowed in the section of about 300 seats. In both cases the police were informed,agreed to terms to allow the singing section to occur and now just watch the fans closely to ensure fan safety. Not living in tayside, but being to mcdiarmid i understand the tayside police seem to be more strict and uncooperative but maybe a meeting by fans who would want to lead this section would be advisable to get this idea sorted soon!

1. Drink more.

2. Sit in the north end of the east stand.

3. Actually SING! Sounds obvious but too many keep quiet waiting for the same old faces to start the singing.

It's actually not that hard and doesn't require a register of named individuals or a requirement to all be best pals. It's always the same people who either start the songs and end them, the rest of our support Are insipid or downright disapprove (hearts are peados/wear speedos).

Folk need to lighten up!

The Green Brigade are morons so don't use them as a guide for anything. Imagine having to apply to some random so you can sit in an area.

An action for the Secret 7 to raise at their next meeting with the chairman.

Perhaps an area allocated with no ST's, maybe 150-200 seats grouped together.

Motherwell have done it well

'Scuse me. we are now know as the exciting EIGHT:wink:

I will mention the idea at the next gathering:wink:

1. Drink more.

3. Actually SING! Sounds obvious but too many keep quiet waiting for the same old faces to start the singing.

It's actually not that hard and doesn't require a register of named individuals or a requirement to all be best pals. It's always the same people who either start the songs and end them, the rest of our support Are insipid or downright disapprove (hearts are peados/wear speedos).

Folk need to lighten up!

The Green Brigade are morons so don't use them as a guide for anything. Imagine having to apply to some random so you can sit in an area.

I hear what you are saying, but bar the drinking bit, this is essentially telling people to do more of the same, and it's the same old that's left McDiarmid quieter than a convention of silent monks. Either nothing gets done and the same old, same old continues to happen, or you try and bring together like minded saints to make a go of it. The Turkish fans linked on YouTube are an inspiration and I'll bet they don't just achieve that by sitting in one part of the stand, having a few bevvies and hoping that random other folk will start singing with them. As I've mentioned before, I am a Saints 'outsider' who regularly sits at the appropriate part of the stand when I can get along but it takes more than that to make people feel part of something.

A list of names and actually trying to do more than turn up might sound a bit much but while there's a lot to dislike about the Green Brigade, I know some of the more moderate guys involved in this and they have banded together and created a dialogue with their club which has achieved some real positive outcomes. Celtic are a club who could happily ignore their fans as they know there's always someone else wanting in (maybe less so this season).

I do take Blue-Heavens point about us not being the same culture as the Turks but I would also point out that the atmosphere at away games, particularly the big matches (Hearts in the cup springs to mind) shows that people do want to sing and shout, but it takes a certain safety in numbers and a little bit of leadership to make them relax into it. One man shouting 'Wendy Who?' randomly every 15 minutes is commendable and currently essential, but it's also not quite enough.

We could easily debate the cultural, financial, social aspects of why Saints don't sing, or we could kick around positive ideas of what we want and how we could achieve it on this thread and see about trying something. As far as I can see, our current supporting culture is negative, uninspiring and will do little to entice the young lads to come back when so much else competes for their time. We don't want to end up a Celtic or Rangers selling 'a way of life' via Saints, but it would be good to become a support, rather than disparate supporters.

I appreciate what you're saying but we have to take responsibility as individuals for our support and what we contribute to it vocally. Everyone is quick to criticise, but if we're unwilling to sing because we're insecure then what chance do we have?

If you want to meet fellow saints fans then take a supporters bus to Aberdeen, Inverness or Dingwall. I'm from Glasgow and used to go to all the games by myself, but started using the 208 bus for the long trips. You very quickly start speaking to folk and before you know it you've got pals for life. I'd even suggest using ghostie's old man bus, although I hear the stench of stale urine can be particularly bad this time of year

Edited by Noose76

1. Drink more.

Folk need to lighten up!

I was just pointing out there methods as a friend has a season ticket close to that area, i dont agree with what they sing or how they go about it but at least they bring some noise from a stadium which used to lack so much!

Motherwell is a better example as a friend from wishaw is in there singing group, they decided to congregate in there section, someone bring a drum, some flags and sing for the much of the game. Hopefully someone can bring a drum or something for the game on thursday, or at least a few more saints willing to sing will seat at the north end of the east stand and give the big match a great atmosphere!

Eskisehir was a fantastic experience both at the stadium and across the city with the atmosphere being a joy to watch.

The atmosphere at Mcdiarmid is to be honest, non existent and after seeing what can be achieved, it would be nice to see something done about it. For me, the enjoyment level of watching a football game when the atmosphere is of a decent standard is incredibly higher than when the crowd is near motionless. Was just looking for ideas as to what we can do at the club, new chants/songs? Musical instruments? More flags/banners?

Any ideas? Could we even come up with some new chants inspired by our Turkish friends?

This is a common complaint across many clubs...

at Easter Road the club officials have co-operated with fans by designating a "singing section" where the fans who want to stand n sing can gather and not annoy anybody just wanting to sit quietly n enjoy the game...

Musical instruments at fitba is a touchy subject... the Livi drummer always did my nut in with his tuneless hammering away

It's ok to get a group of fans, having I leader and underlings to start things off, getting the police and stewards to change policy will be another thing.

if you the fans can form a organised group to work with the club, you will be surprised how easily the club and polis can be brought onside...

its also easier if its a distinct section of the group so folk wanting to join a singing section can specifically ask for a season ticket in that section...

its worked pretty well at Easter Road especially given the fitba on the park is totally woeful...

with Saints doing fairly well you should be able to attract a few missing punters back with an improved atmosphere...

also with the Ormond Stand becoming a dedicated family stand, it might make the polis more about a singing section in part of the East.

I appreciate what you're saying but we have to take responsibility as individuals for our support and what we contribute to it vocally. Everyone is quick to criticise, but if we're unwilling to sing because we're insecure then what chance do we have?

If you want to meet fellow saints fans then take a supporters bus to Aberdeen, Inverness or Dingwall. I'm from Glasgow and used to go to all the games by myself, but started using the 208 bus for the long trips. You very quickly start speaking to folk and before you know it you've got pals for life. I'd even suggest using ghostie's old man bus, although I hear the stench of stale urine can be particularly bad this time of year

That stench of stale piss, that interestingly appeared after you used our bus, was swiftly removed with a deep clean and now the bus has the aroma of sweet rose petals. There will be no repeat since we took the Injunction out against "The Trumpet in the Lilac jacket..:laugh:

A singing section is the way forward and would allow us to gauge how many are interested in being involved with something potentially bigger. However, this utopia of a stadium full of mad singing fans will never happen, it's just not the British way. I can't think of any HOME supports in British football who sing, unless it's an important game which tends to look after itself in terms of generating an atmosphere.

The best atmosphere I can remember in recent times was Dunfermline away with Liam Craig. I think that was a "blue and White" day so it does show that if people turn up with the right attitude then it can have a positive effect.

The main obstacle to what things used to be like is that they have taken the tribal aspect out of football when two sets of fans were sometimes segregated only a few yards apart. That in itself created the atmosphere you're all lamenting the demise of. I doubt those days will return no matter how much you try and manufacture an atmosphere. :sad:

The main obstacle to what things used to be like is that they have taken the tribal aspect out of football when two sets of fans were sometimes segregated only a few yards apart. That in itself created the atmosphere you're all lamenting the demise of. I doubt those days will return no matter how much you try and manufacture an atmosphere. :sad:

Spot on. Football is about us Vs them and without that mentality it loses it's edge and is sanitised. Euro 2012 was a scary image of what football is likely to become with no segregation, grown men wearing facepaint and wigs, vuvuzelas etc. It's wrong and americanised and needs knocked on the head.

That stench of stale piss, that interestingly appeared after you used our bus, was swiftly removed with a deep clean and now the bus has the aroma of sweet rose petals. There will be no repeat since we took the Injunction out against "The Trumpet in the Lilac jacket..:laugh:

I've never had the pleasure of travelling on your bus, but can only imagine how wonderful it is. I might swap my purple jacket with an EsEs fan on Thursday :wink:

So the plan for Thursday is; those who want to sing throughout congregate in the north end of the east stand? Bring as many banners, flags and scarfs as possible? Attempt to introduce some new fresh chants (perhaps similar to those of our Turkish friends with a saints twist) and go from there. Definitely need someone to forefront and conduct proceedings so the fans know what song to sing and if they are to clap, jump around or links arms etc... Anyone fancy taking up this role?

Definitely need someone to forefront and conduct proceedings so the fans know what song to sing and if they are to clap, jump around or links arms etc... Anyone fancy taking up this role?

Saint Kev did a good job of this on Bar Street.