The Big 'Lets create an atmosphere' thread.

PerthSaints_1884

Main stand was maybe 2/3 full. Ormond was less than a 1/3 (free kids in all stands). I hope some of the folks who came tonight will come back more regularly, especially as the atmosphere was fantastic, really buzzing, despite what that tit pompom might suggest.

Well done to ghostly, and everyone else involved in making today what it was.

Lets carry it forward, keep the momentum, and push on for a great season.

Coys.

There was maybe 100 of them, tops, but they were extremely loud and enthusiastic. "Atmosphere" was the usual stilted and self conscious affair, but particularly noteable was the west side of the park sitting in stony silence throughout. I think it's maybe time to accept that Perth skews older, richer, more religious and dourer than most other towns, and isn't going to have the kind of frothing fanaticism you see from other clubs' support. The robotic attempts to "get something going" were largely embarassing.

I have to say that's quite contrary to what was coming across on the live stream and BBC Scotland commentary. I thought the atmosphere came across really well.

and Ghostie had them singing at the other end too

It was loud and boisterous by McDiarmid standards, but it was still a staid affair by professional football standards. Their motley crew of fellas with red and white flags was louder, bouncier and more rambunctious by far, and that was even when they were 1-0 down.

As for Ghostie "[having] them all singing"...sorry, that's largely false. He was doing his usual answer to Screaming Jay Hawkins, but despite his best efforts it was a few chants and songs started and died out in a fairly fitful fashion, and for the most part you could hear each individual snidey comment and muttered remark that there's some atmosphere the night, boys. The loudest and most passionate fellow seemed to be the croaky voiced young chap intent on shoving the referee's whistle up his arse. By the time our Turkish compatriots banged in a goal it was distinctly muted.

Please note, however, that none of this is criticism or complaint. It's just Perth's way. Some teams have loud and exhuberant fans, some teams have violent fans, some have hills-have-eyes mutants riding their sheep down to stare in boggle-eyed silence at this wonder known as "Foote Ye Balle" and some teams are quiet and prone to discussing Angry Birds. The very fact that an atmosphere "had to be got going" speaks wonders.

what that tit pompom might suggest.

I really don't think there's any need for that.

There was maybe 100 of them, tops, but they were extremely loud and enthusiastic. "Atmosphere" was the usual stilted and self conscious affair, but particularly noteable was the west side of the park sitting in stony silence throughout. I think it's maybe time to accept that Perth skews older, richer, more religious and dourer than most other towns, and isn't going to have the kind of frothing fanaticism you see from other clubs' support. The robotic attempts to "get something going" were largely embarassing.

i take you were asleep when the mexican waves where on the go and which team is your big team i hope its the **** (ha ha)

It was loud and boisterous by McDiarmid standards, but it was still a staid affair by professional football standards. Their motley crew of fellas with red and white flags was louder, bouncier and more rambunctious by far, and that was even when they were 1-0 down.

they were great but didnt actually start singing til they scored

do you SUPPORT a team or do you just slag off teams

The EsEs fans were brilliant before the game and for most of the second half but to praise them and then slag us in the same post is ludicrous. Our fans were brilliant tonight and to say otherwise is strange to say the least.

Please note, however, that none of this is criticism or complaint.

Seems rather like both of those to me, neither of which are either constructive or necessary.

Let's not let this nonsense get in the way of celebrating a great night.

We all see and perceive things differently, you say it wasnt meant as a critisism, but that is how it comes across, you dont come across as being stilted, but what did you do to try and keep the atmosphere going, without the likes off Ghostie etc the place would be like a mourge it was great to see mcd full and making noise, lets do it every week.

Normally an east stand person I was in the west last night and I can assure you that there was solid support for Saints with generous applause,a little singing and they even joined in the mexican wave. What I didnt miss was the usual "..... your shite" or "you are making this team look good" that has been common of late.Thought the pipe band added to what was a fantastic atmosphere.Well done saints and the fans.

Was the main stand busy tonight? Couldn't really tell from the online feed.

It was great to see all 4 stands open though and the east looking like it should for the first time in far too long.

Hope tonight has gotten some lost fans back into following the team.

Spot on there.

I was unfortunately working last night but I would have taken the family up if I hadn't been. My oldest, at 13, doesn't really show much interest in watching football and only "supports" Man Utd (and didn't even watch them in the European Cup final), but I was hoping the atmosphere of a big local game might drum something up inside him and that he might start wanting to go on a Saturday on his own accord. The middle laddie, at 8, is just right for indoctrinating into the fitba. My youngest is 6 and finds it boring unless he's playing it.

Will definitely be taking them up to McD a good few times this season to get them interested.

Come on Perth, you've only got one local team so let's get behind them.

Edited by Dev

Great performance from the Saintees tonight.

Tade is my new crush.

Agree with Pommy though, atmosphere and crowd were a bit poor. We just have to accept that we will never grab the attention of the Perth public and go with what we have.

Please just stop. This is getting very boring now.

Brought my two kids and a Hibs-supporting pal of theirs through from Edinburgh and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I've complained about the pricing in the past, but thought that £25 for all four of us in the Ormond Stand was good value. There was a great atmosphere minus any swearing or aggression, so I'd happily bring kids again.

Although I'll still be a part-time supporter, would like to think I'll be attending a few more games this season than last - hopefully with a car full of youngsters.

Tade is my new crush.

Agree with Pommy though, atmosphere and crowd were a bit poor. We just have to accept that we will never grab the attention of the Perth public and go with what we have.

What a load of rubbish, we were down the north end of the east stand and we were singing pretty much the whole game. It was certainly better than the usual sitting in silence that normally occurs at saints games.

Tade is my new crush.

See my response to your alter ego...

I have been to champions league matches, SPL games not involving saints, random games in random countries, and compared to all of those, there is no way the atmosphere, especially at the north end of the east stand, could be criticized.

If you have something constructive to add, please do so, other wise please crawl under the rock you came from.

The amount of negative comments on here is sad. It's not the people trying to create an atmosphere or have a good time that are the problem. It's these folk who feel the need to criticize without offering suggestions or joining in (or even being there, eh soup stain/pompom?)

We had a great night, a good atmosphere, let's use this as a spring board to better and happier times, supporting saints together. Without people with a sad agenda attempting to criticize any attempt to improve things.

Coys

Can we try and keep the European style chants and use them from now on.. Especially the "F*ck you Dundee F*ck you Dundee Ay, Ayol".

Or maybe even try and get the fans to sing to each other, but I don't think the likes of St Mirren will play along...

Can we try and keep the European style chants and use them from now on.. Especially the "F*ck you Dundee F*ck you Dundee Ay, Ayol".

Or maybe even try and get the fans to sing to each other, but I don't think the likes of St Mirren will play along...

Keen on that idea.

But hey, if we cant get St. Mirren singing with us, here's some inspiration to you know, sing on our own...

Can't really see this happening on a freezing cold, rainy day in Paisley though...