#03 - 04/08/12 - Hearts 2-0 Saints - Spl

With it being start of new season thought i would sign up to WAP. Dissapointed with the majority of the game. Millar was very poor 1st half but at the start of the 2nd when playing centrally we had our best spell. Then lomas hooked him and we just lost all momentum. Mackay was run ragged all game and was definitely one of his worst games for us.

Thats they way I read it. Millar was shite in first half playing wide. The midfield were bossed by Hearts. Millar was moved inside in second half & we dominated the game with ten men until he was replaced by Adams who got booked & gave the ball away for the goal when an easy pass was on(not the only one that did that all the game).I also thought that Cregg was poor.

Can`t believe that Ando & Mooner weren`t even on the bench. Wright had a nightmare & kept allowing the ball to bounce & shouting at Mannus that he should have come for it.

Highlights from todays game:

(sooner than I thought)

From those highlights it seemed a very clear victory for Hearts, Saints only really had the Hasselbaink chance to speak if. It's clear to see why Tade was sent off as well - it may be soft but you get a red card for that. Webster didn't make a massive thing of it so it's not his fault, unfortunately Tade was stupid right under the referee's nose.

From those highlights it seemed a very clear victory for Hearts, Saints only really had the Hasselbaink chance to speak if. It's clear to see why Tade was sent off as well - it may be soft but you get a red card for that. Webster didn't make a massive thing of it so it's not his fault, unfortunately Tade was stupid right under the referee's nose.

What I can`t understand is ,if it was a red card for violent conduct why did the ref not show it right away. He spoke to Tade for a good 2 or 3 minutes before he showed the card . He was also looking towards the dugouts whilst he was doing it. Was he waiting for a second opinion or tv evidence.

Bad day for Saints. Played better with 10 players in the second half and had some chances to score.

Next week will be at home I guess. Against which team ?

You are wrong, motherwell away, another hard game. 5 away games in first 8 fixtures

Todays game highlights the fact we are crying out for a natural right midfielder with a bit of pace. Without that we are to predictable and offer nothing from the right in an attacking sense. Millar is a decent squad player but we shouldnt be relying on him to provide the width and penetration from the right side.

Bad day for Saints. Played better with 10 players in the second half and had some chances to score.

Next week will be at home I guess. Against which team ?

We only had 9 men for a spell Footballturco, Chris Millar was on from the start:roll:

cracks n wright did well in the 2 euro games but i presumed ando was carrying a knock , why else would our best central defender be left out?

Fraser Wright is prone to conceding stupid fouls and losing possession, although he is a decent enough player for us so I'm not saying he's poor or anything like that. I am aware that there are those who would disagree but I do cringe at times when he's involved. Equally, he can be very good.

McCracken is great at dribbling v Dunfermline, but shouldn't be doing it v Hearts.

Ando is, for me, our best central defender. Unless injured its a mystery why he's out.

As for favourites, McInnes played Morris, Milar and Davidson no matter what most of the time. Lomas can't do that with his favourites or we'll suffer by losing points where we shouldn't.

Todays game highlights the fact we are crying out for a natural right midfielder with a bit of pace. Without that we are to predictable and offer nothing from the right in an attacking sense. Millar is a decent squad player but we shouldnt be relying on him to provide the width and penetration from the right side.

Think Nigel might play there now we have Vine to play up top,really like Midge,but thought he looked nervous against EsEs too, might be just a lack of confidence but we do have options

What I can`t understand is ,if it was a red card for violent conduct why did the ref not show it right away. He spoke to Tade for a good 2 or 3 minutes before he showed the card . He was also looking towards the dugouts whilst he was doing it. Was he waiting for a second opinion or tv evidence.

Sunday Mail quoted today as saying he acted on the advice of stand side assistant. Personally I thought he made poor calls all day long the worst of which was to actually show up.Saw Avril levein after the match and dont suppose he was going home to change his next squad.

Disappointing start to the season for Saints. Didn't get going in the first half and deserved to be behind at the break. Indeed couldn't have argued if we were a couple down. Would like to see the whole red card incident again and why it took so long for the referee to flash the red card. This is a guy who was so eager to flash a red two seasons ago in the same fixture that he flung the card ten foot in the air when he pulled it out of his pocket!

Second half was much better, especially when you add in we only had ten men. Had two or three really decent chances and arguably merited a goal ourselves. Whether Hearts deserved their second when it came is debateable but certainly over the piece they deserved the win as they could have been further ahead at the break.

Unfortunate that already you are left questioning some of the calls from the manager. Didn't think Chris Millar had a good first half but he was driving us on from the centre of the park in the second and we lost that impetus when Adams came on. We know Millar's final ball maybe isn't the best but it's not as if Adams was going to provide better quality. Also thought Hasselbaink was starting to get real joy out of Paterson at right back but then Lomas appeared send Vine out left and move Hasselbaink through the middle. Again that killed our momentum a wee bit. Paterson had been booked and Hasselbaink was rolling him with a bit of ease but that threat down the left dried up. Those changes and Hearts own change taking Robinson off squeezed that bit of fight we'd have out of us and we didn't look like getting back into it in those final fifteen or twenty minutes. To give Lomas credit though, switchin Cregg for Vine was brave and worked in our favour.

From the league's point of view, I suppose it's good to see Templeton looking back on form and he was the best player on the park.

Holding judgement on the red card till I see the unbiased BBC pictures.

As for the rest Hearts probably deserved to win but we played fairly well in the 2nd half given that we were down to 10 men. Thought the defence (and esp Mannus) were good but lacked the distribution skills. Midfield were poor - Muzz, Paddy ok but Millar and Liam were both off the pace. Nigel played well and seemed to be the only one that was capable of opening them up although Rowan once he gets a bit of match sharpness may be a real find.

Not too downheartened - we play like we did in the 2nd half and have 11 men on the park and we'll be ok this season.

Thought the defence (and esp Mannus) were good...

I know you're not alone in that view and I did think Mannus' handling was really solid (which wasn't always the case last season) but was their second goal saveable? Maybe see again on the highlights but it didn't look to exactly be in the corner of the net and my initial reaction was that some goalkeepers would have saved it. Dare I say last season's number one would have kept it out. Feel I could be saying that a lot though over the next few years.

As you say, the fact we played with ten men means the second half performance was fine though.