Winners and Losers

stevensan

Starting a 'winners and losers' page on SaintinAsia. Posting here, as not 100% about Saints, although, obviously with a little bias: Will post here each week, without the formatting though :)

Full link here

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/winners-and-losers-august-5th-2012/

Winners:

Scottish Football

Armageddon? No TV deal? Nobody will turn up? Well that was proved to be a load of succulent lamb tripe this week, with a new tv deal almost matching last years deal, along with increased attendances on opening day. St.Mirren attracted 600 more fans against Inverness when compared to the same fixture last May, with Hearts v Saints having a similar increase. The new boys Dundee saw Killie have a full 1500 fans more than last years average attendance, while just under 49,000 were at Celtic Park.

So what we’ve been told all summer was rubbish then? Yep.

Stuart Cosgrove and the BBC

Stuart was invited onto Traynor’s ‘Your Call’ last night, and showed just how the media landscape has changed, as he systematically destroyed the arguments of the succulent lamb press. Even Traynor had to conceed that the ‘newco’ RTC (TSFM) was a great idea. Meanwhile over on Radio Clyde, their phone in went 40 minutes without a call…

…oh dear.

Lomas’ new signings

Having lost 10 players at the end of last season Lomas has been busy rebuilding, and 3 of them started against Hearts. Despite the result, and the red card, they all showed glimpses that they will fit well into the set up. As Alan Preston said on the Beeb afterwards, if Saints play like that every week they will win more than they lose…

David Templeton

We’d have needed, quite literally, a team of Dave McKay’s to stop him yesterday. A brilliant performance by all accounts, and from just the benefit of the highlights he looked on top form. Scottish teams will need players like him on form if Celtic are to have a title challenger this season.

Jamie Langfield

Ok, so he could easily be in the losers, however, his tweet straight after the game proves he is nothing other than a winner.

I ****ed up, deserve every bit of criticism and abuse everyone is giving me I apologise #SORRY

A bit more of this and footballers might get a good name!

The New boy’s

Given Dundee have had a few weeks to prepare for the SPL, and Ross County are seen as massive underdogs, two draws on opening day isn’t a bad way to start…

Livingston

Their biggest victory ever. Well done.

Losers

Stranraer

Not the best way to start the season…

Referee’s

Ok, so we can put to bed the rumors of Rangers paying refs through EBT, unless of course Hearts are up-to the same tricks :) (for the avoidance of doubt I do not think this is happening and I’m being sarcastic!!) O’Reilly’s decision to show Gregory Tade a red card in the first half for a scuffle from a free kick was nothing short of a disgrace. See what I mean here. Both players were pulling each other. If we are going to start giving red cards for that we’ll be playing 5 a side football for the second 45. Football is, and always has been a contact sport.

The Saints defence

One of our strong points last season, but McKay failed to cope with the pace of Templeton, while Wright and McCracken struggled with the strength of Sutton throughout. If Saints are to mount a challenge for the top six again this season, it is vital our sound defensive line continues. Hopefully it is just a blip after decent performances in Turkey.

Ticket Prices

Saints fans were charged 25Gbp to get into Tynecastle yesterday, while home fans paid 21Gbp for the main stand. When Hearts come to visit McDiarmid the away stand will cost 21Gbp, with kids FREE. The Ormond stand will allow entry for 15GBP with the kids also free. Scottish Football has to become more affordable, but it needs all the clubs to do this, not just a handful.

John Gemmel Jr.

Who? Apparently a striker playing for Stenhousemuir.

Why is he a Scottish football loser?

For tweets like this. With Rio Ferdinand the latest high profile player to be charged by their FA for tweets they shouldn’t have sent, John Gemmel should be having a real long think about what kind of role model he wants to be. A bit part lower division journeyman should not be writing **** like this about a fellow professional.

Clyde Radio Phone in

No calls for 40 minutes. Seems ‘Armageddon’ will happen for some… the succulent lambs. Real Radio got out at the right time.

Nil – Nils

With Scottish football under scrutiny, a few more goals would have been nice!

last night i was in the foundry the hearts v saints came on the guy next to me said look at all the empty seats

i said there was a crowd of 14 thousand he replied saints ground is not that big

we had a discussion about how rangers had got of lightly and still be able to pay 7k a week while being all these millions in debt

his next idea was that i must be a celtic supporter

i told him that i was a saints supporter, you f_cking clown he left and i got asked if there was a problem by the bar staff, the guy who asked me is a hibs fan and i thanked him for getting saints off the bottom of the league

i now mind why i don't go out at nights (cos i'am 55 and married and my wife wont let me)

Starting a 'winners and losers' page on SaintinAsia. Posting here, as not 100% about Saints, although, obviously with a little bias: Will post here each week, without the formatting though :)

Full link here

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/winners-and-losers-august-5th-2012/

Winners:

Scottish Football

Armageddon? No TV deal? Nobody will turn up? Well that was proved to be a load of succulent lamb tripe this week, with a new tv deal almost matching last years deal, along with increased attendances on opening day. St.Mirren attracted 600 more fans against Inverness when compared to the same fixture last May, with Hearts v Saints having a similar increase. The new boys Dundee saw Killie have a full 1500 fans more than last years average attendance, while just under 49,000 were at Celtic Park.

So what we’ve been told all summer was rubbish then? Yep.

Stuart Cosgrove and the BBC

Stuart was invited onto Traynor’s ‘Your Call’ last night, and showed just how the media landscape has changed, as he systematically destroyed the arguments of the succulent lamb press. Even Traynor had to conceed that the ‘newco’ RTC (TSFM) was a great idea. Meanwhile over on Radio Clyde, their phone in went 40 minutes without a call…

…oh dear.

Lomas’ new signings

Having lost 10 players at the end of last season Lomas has been busy rebuilding, and 3 of them started against Hearts. Despite the result, and the red card, they all showed glimpses that they will fit well into the set up. As Alan Preston said on the Beeb afterwards, if Saints play like that every week they will win more than they lose…

David Templeton

We’d have needed, quite literally, a team of Dave McKay’s to stop him yesterday. A brilliant performance by all accounts, and from just the benefit of the highlights he looked on top form. Scottish teams will need players like him on form if Celtic are to have a title challenger this season.

Jamie Langfield

Ok, so he could easily be in the losers, however, his tweet straight after the game proves he is nothing other than a winner.

I ****ed up, deserve every bit of criticism and abuse everyone is giving me I apologise #SORRY

A bit more of this and footballers might get a good name!

The New boy’s

Given Dundee have had a few weeks to prepare for the SPL, and Ross County are seen as massive underdogs, two draws on opening day isn’t a bad way to start…

Livingston

Their biggest victory ever. Well done.

Losers

Stranraer

Not the best way to start the season…

Referee’s

Ok, so we can put to bed the rumors of Rangers paying refs through EBT, unless of course Hearts are up-to the same tricks :) (for the avoidance of doubt I do not think this is happening and I’m being sarcastic!!) O’Reilly’s decision to show Gregory Tade a red card in the first half for a scuffle from a free kick was nothing short of a disgrace. See what I mean here. Both players were pulling each other. If we are going to start giving red cards for that we’ll be playing 5 a side football for the second 45. Football is, and always has been a contact sport.

The Saints defence

One of our strong points last season, but McKay failed to cope with the pace of Templeton, while Wright and McCracken struggled with the strength of Sutton throughout. If Saints are to mount a challenge for the top six again this season, it is vital our sound defensive line continues. Hopefully it is just a blip after decent performances in Turkey.

Ticket Prices

Saints fans were charged 25Gbp to get into Tynecastle yesterday, while home fans paid 21Gbp for the main stand. When Hearts come to visit McDiarmid the away stand will cost 21Gbp, with kids FREE. The Ormond stand will allow entry for 15GBP with the kids also free. Scottish Football has to become more affordable, but it needs all the clubs to do this, not just a handful.

John Gemmel Jr.

Who? Apparently a striker playing for Stenhousemuir.

Why is he a Scottish football loser?

For tweets like this. With Rio Ferdinand the latest high profile player to be charged by their FA for tweets they shouldn’t have sent, John Gemmel should be having a real long think about what kind of role model he wants to be. A bit part lower division journeyman should not be writing **** like this about a fellow professional.

Clyde Radio Phone in

No calls for 40 minutes. Seems ‘Armageddon’ will happen for some… the succulent lambs. Real Radio got out at the right time.

Nil – Nils

With Scottish football under scrutiny, a few more goals would have been nice!

Tade's sending off is not a disgrace and shows the ridiculous pressure refs are under. If he didn't send him off he very probably would have had the same reaction from Hearts fans and also been marked down by his assessor. The loser is clearly Tade for raising his hand/forearm to Webster's face for absolutely no reason what so ever. Completely idiotic and badly let down his team mates. Whilst I wouldn't send him off for that and wouldn't want anybody sent off for that, it is within the rules to do so and something that is hardly a new initiative. It is like a fan being thrown out for repeatedly standing up. Most agree that is a stupid rule but it is there and has been for some time, flaunt it and you run the risk of being punished. What I would like to see is the McGowan challenge as heard from a number of people, including a Hearts fan, that it was considerably worse.

Winners and Losers 13th August

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/winners-and-losers-august-13th/

Winners:

The Rangers fans

You gotta give them credit. 38k fans against East Fife is pretty good going. If they have attendances like that in the winter months then they deserve more praise.

Murray Davidson

Last week Murray Davidson was singled out by BBC pundit Alan Preston as one of five SPL players to watch this season. The point Preston picked up on was that Murray had to start turning his runs forward into goals to complement the rest of his game.

So a few more goals, such as his one at Motherwell, should set him nicely on his way to the Scotland squad, especially as our next winner is already there.

Ian Black

7k a week (reportedly), gets to play against part timers each week and now a Scotland call up. This 3rd division lark is easy right?

Rory McAllister

65 goals in the last 3 years. Now that Craig Levein has declared that the SFL3 is of a high enough standard for international recognition, surely Rory is just a few more goals against Sevco away from a first Scotland cap? After all, he is our top goalscorer…

Steven Fletcher

On form for the last two seasons, and now apparently a 12m rated striker. Yet Levein/SFA still don’t want to bury the hatchet with him. What gives. When did Scotland last/ever have a 12m rated striker?

Ross County

A full calender year unbeaten is a magnificent achievement in any league. More so for a small “unfashionable” club.

SPL

Looking likely to be a closely fought league this season. No one team appears vastly better than the others, and there doesn’t appear to be any whipping boys this season either… A close, exciting season will be the result.

Steve Lomas

You gotta give the man credit – he certainly knows how to defend the fans. Saints will never have the largest support, especially away from home.

Stevie May

Assuming Beattie is not match fit, he will be a strong candidate to start v Aberdeen next week. With Vine and Tade back the following week, it may be one of the few opportunities he gets to impress after his sterling season at Alloa.

Charlie Bannerman

A quite frankly brilliant article printed in the Highland News. Asking all the questions that the rest of the MSM have been unable to ask. Remember, this whole Rangers debacle has only one loser – the creditors owed 134m. While Black, Sandaza and any number of overpaid journeymen run around in a field in Peterhead, the honest shop keeper and face painter are left seriously out of pocket.

Losers

Charlie Bannerman

Unfortunately for Charlie, a story worthy of any national newspaper will only be seen by Highlanders and internet bampots. Meanwhile, he’ll continue reporting on Shinty. It’s a sad predicament when writing about real news gets you nowhere, but writing about Billionaires is considered news worthy.

Murray Davidson

Overlooked in the Scotland squad for a SFL3 player…

David Longmuir

Who pretty much said that the game is a bogey. Whether the quotes attributed to him were twisted by a Rangers supporting MSM, or whether he actually meant it is irrelevant. His failure to dispute claims that he would support a club, if convicted of 10 years of cheating, of keeping trophies won will cheating, should be enough for a vote of no confidence. Surely his comments, or lack of denial of such comments, make it impossible for the SFL to punish any club of cheating after the fact.

It makes you wonder just what is the point in having any rules?

Steve Lomas

Saints fans can’t help feel it was 2 points lost on Saturday, and much of the blame has been pointed at the N.Irishman’s feet. His lack of urgency to make substitutions seems like a trait picked up from Derek McInnes. All fans were adamant that Vine should not have been on the pitch to make the lethargic tackle that saw him sent off. With 25 mins to go, and leading against 10 men, surely Stevie May’s energy would have been just what was called for?

The MSM

This week it is Billionaires and 9 players on loan. You would have thought they would have learnt their lesson with the Motherwell born Billionaire and you would think at least one member of the MSM owns an SFA rule book. Succulent lamb must be back on the menu in more ways than one…

Craig Levein

His call up of Black, and his omission of Wallace may just have guaranteed the lowest ever attendance at a Scotland game. The Rangers fans will now boycott, along with the rest of the Scottish Football Public. Well done Craig.

Dylan McGeouch

Ouch… the young Celtic winger’s season took a set back in a meaningless friendly against Real Madrid. A small consolation to what is now a 6 week lay off is that his name is now known to the wider public – if the reports coming from Celtic Park are close to being accurate, he will be a future star. Get well soon buddy.

SFL Rule book

The Rangers took to the pitch on Saturday in the Rangers (IA) training top. The SFL rule book states:

87.3 When two clubs, having the same or similar first choice colours registered,

engage in a League Championship game, the visiting club shall play in its

second or third choice playing kit which must be different and distinct

playing kit from the home club’s first choice playing kit. At least 48 hours

prior to all Championship, Reserve and Youth matches, the competing

clubs shall establish written contact with each other and the match referee

to advise of the exact colours and description of the respective club’s

playing kits. In the event of a clash of colours on matchday and the away

club not having with them their second/third choice registered playing kit,

then the away club will require to play in the home club’s second/third

choice registered jerseys and/or shorts and/or socks. Both clubs shall

change, under similar circumstances, when playing on neutral ground. In

the event of any dispute with regard to the playing kit to be worn by either

club, the referee’s decision shall be final.

Another minor rule you say? But a rule all the same, which, once again has been ‘overlooked’… Again… why have a rule book?