St Johnstone Under 20 Thread - Season 2012/13

Aitchy

I am not defending the club, as I do not have any current hear-say on this subject, but this is an annual complaint when kids do not progress as the parents expect and start to find themselves dropping down the pecking order and it is always the clubs/coaches fault and nothing to do with the kids not being good enough, having a poor attitude etc.

I am not defending the club, as I do not have any current hear-say on this subject, but this is an annual complaint when kids do not progress as the parents expect and start to find themselves dropping down the pecking order and it is always the clubs/coaches fault and nothing to do with the kids not being good enough, having a poor attitude etc.

Unfortunately, very few kids actually 'make it'. The approach seems to be that professional clubs hoover up kids at under age level and get them along to their training camps etc then gradually drop them. I know that 4 lads from my son's under 9 team (Edinburgh South) were invited along to Hibs about a year ago. None of them are still there.

I am glad that Ben wasn't playing the day the Hibs 'scout' attended their game as judging by the boys they did take, I have little doubt that he would have been asked as well (and not being a 'my kid is better' dad about this). I think that at 8 and 9 they are too young for that environment and eventual disappointment. One of the boys really struggled with injury last year as he was just playing too much football between Hibs, club and school football. At that age, they will not admit to having a sore foot / knee etc and realise that not playing will help it recover.

One of Ben's school pals is at Rangers and is not allowed to play for his club anymore ( Currie Star) or even play school football. The reality is that he will likely be cast aside at some point and, at the age of 9 or 10, will have missed out on a lot of fun and enjoyable football at the expense of playing and training in a higher pressure environment.

I am not saying that we shouldn't be looking at ensuring kids at 8,9, 10 receive development where they are clearly talented, but there has to be a better way

Unfortunately, very few kids actually 'make it'. The approach seems to be that professional clubs hoover up kids at under age level and get them along to their training camps etc then gradually drop them. I know that 4 lads from my son's under 9 team (Edinburgh South) were invited along to Hibs about a year ago. None of them are still there.

I am glad that Ben wasn't playing the day the Hibs 'scout' attended their game as judging by the boys they did take, I have little doubt that he would have been asked as well (and not being a 'my kid is better' dad about this). I think that at 8 and 9 they are too young for that environment and eventual disappointment. One of the boys really struggled with injury last year as he was just playing too much football between Hibs, club and school football. At that age, they will not admit to having a sore foot / knee etc and realise that not playing will help it recover.

One of Ben's school pals is at Rangers and is not allowed to play for his club anymore ( Currie Star) or even play school football. The reality is that he will likely be cast aside at some point and, at the age of 9 or 10, will have missed out on a lot of fun and enjoyable football at the expense of playing and training in a higher pressure environment.

I am not saying that we shouldn't be looking at ensuring kids at 8,9, 10 receive development where they are clearly talented, but there has to be a better way

Totally agree Edstar. I would like to see boys aged up to 16 staying with the youth clubs and the senior clubs only getting their hands on them then. too many clubs grab as many kids as they can at age 9 or 10 and then dump them. rangers i think were taking the young kids of under 10 in on Saturday afternoons at one point depriving them of watching any football at all. Back in the golden days we had no po youth set ups and a stream of players coming through the youth ranks.

There are also far too many smaller teams in Scotland who are using youth development as nothing more than an income stream get as many in and play them in team spending aslittle as possible whilst getting grants from the SFA.

Edited by mainstand

I noticed Saints have added a few u-19 players in recent weeks. I wonder if that's the first sign of Alastiar Stevenson shaping his squad?

As well as Marcus Maddison -

"St Johnstone have added two new midfielders to their squad, signing former Ipswich youth player Shaun Meikle (18) and former Livingston player Scott-Taylor MacKenzie (16). Both have signed on at McDiarmid Park until 2015."

It's not that their kids are getting released. It's kids who are performing well but feel like they're being stifled

It's not about performance, it's about what they're been asked to do and what they're not being told to do. And what manner these instructions are being issued

Sounds very much like you have some kids that think they have made it and are not happy at getting taught or told what they have to do. The one thing Saints have always done in comparison to other clubs is let the kids express themselves, just look at the size of some of the saints teams unlike some teams they are not full of big laddies.

Sounds very much like you have some kids that think they have made it and are not happy at getting taught or told what they have to do. The one thing Saints have always done in comparison to other clubs is let the kids express themselves, just look at the size of some of the saints teams unlike some teams they are not full of big laddies.

I fully expect most of the kids are greeting wee bastards, I know what teaching a kid can be like. The most worrying bit for me was being told that they're getting intimidated into playing a certain way

It will take A Stevenson a few years to bring players through from the Saints youth system, it's the one area where Geoff got it wrong. Years of lack of investment has now left us a long way behind other clubs our size. Kilmarnock, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hamilton, St.Mirren, Falkirk Dundee Utd and others have a conveyor belt of talent coming through year after year. We rely on players released from these clubs making up our 17's.

Hopefully this will change but it will take at least 4 years before there are signs of improvement.

It's not about performance, it's about what they're been asked to do and what they're not being told to do. And what manner these instructions are being issued

Dare I say that if the kids aren't thick skinned enough to take a bit of a bollocking or a bit of stick every now and then, they aren't cut out for Professional football which is what we have to prepare them for.

Kids are terrible for making stories grow arms and legs. My missus just took on a 12 year old part share on my wee girls horse as she's too young to really give it enough exercise. She asked the girl if she wanted to help her groom and then give her a hand mucking out as she'd need to learn how to do it herself. The girl shook her head so she left it at that. On the way home she asked the girl to maybe have a chat with her mum and see if she really was after a share or whether she'd be better with lessons because obviously there's more to looking after a horse than turning up and riding.

Everything was fine then a few hours later Charlene gets a phone call from the Mother, raging that Charlene had supposedly shouted at her daughter and asked her to muck out and groom on her own and she didn't know how to. Supposedly she was in tears and the mother refused to believe that the girl would shake her head and say no because she wasn't like that and wanted to learn....

Edited by ryangordon86

Some parents are unbelievable!! Ben and the rest of his cub group went to the swimming baths and had to complete a certain distance to get a badge. One parent phoned the cub leader the next day raging that her son was upset because he didn't get a badge when almost everybody else did. She did not seem to grasp that he didn't get a badge BECAUSE HE COULDN'T SWIM THE REQUIRED DISTANCE.

In the end, she kicked up such a stink, they just gave the boy a badge. That annoyed the **** out of me I have to say.

Taking it back to Ryan's point, most players who do make it have at some point had a low in their career, and often that is when they are younger, being dropped by some team or other, before getting another and finding their feet. They need that never give up attitude or they will get nowhere

Dare I say that if the kids aren't thick skinned enough to take a bit of a bollocking or a bit of stick every now and then, they aren't cut out for Professional football which is what we have to prepare them for.

Kids are terrible for making stories grow arms and legs. My missus just took on a 12 year old part share on my wee girls horse as she's too young to really give it enough exercise. She asked the girl if she wanted to help her groom and then give her a hand mucking out as she'd need to learn how to do it herself. The girl shook her head so she left it at that. On the way home she asked the girl to maybe have a chat with her mum and see if she really was after a share or whether she'd be better with lessons because obviously there's more to looking after a horse than turning up and riding.

Everything was fine then a few hours later Charlene gets a phone call from the Mother, raging that Charlene had supposedly shouted at her daughter and asked her to muck out and groom on her own and she didn't know how to. Supposedly she was in tears and the mother refused to believe that the girl would shake her head and say no because she wasn't like that and wanted to learn....

This is a very nice story. Being told that attempting step-over or shot from distance would see you chucked out the team is another matter

So feckin what , wee precious is getting told off for not doing what the qualified coach is trying to teach them . No mention of who's actually telling the coach what they want the kids to improve on , could be lomas , could be stevenson , but i will say it will not just be 1-2 youth coaches deciding to release players because they do step overs etc.

Playing the football is the EASY part of running a youth team , dealing with egos and interfering parents can be something else .

• 2 weeks later...