Money we are spending

bankfoot saint

Don't know about the rest of you but is anyone else getting worried about the money we are spending ? I know we lost a lot of our big earners from last year but the boys coming in are not coming to Perth for the love of the club, we all have seen clubs over spend in the past and get into trouble i am not saying we are at that stage but we all love the idea that the club only spends within its means and I'm just voicing my concerns

Nope not worried in the slighest! I'm pretty sure Steve and the rest of the board wouldn't do anything that would put the club at risk! Just enjoy the fact we are able to get players like Beattie etc!!! Sick fed up of us losing players over the years due to money, it's a welcome change that we are able to bring players in that are outwith other teams budgets! How can we do that? Because we are well run!!

Perfectly valid question that hopefully you won't get shot down for asking. The thought has crossed my mind as well but thinking about it, last season our budget probably stretched to 24/25 senior players. Beattie's signing takes us up to 21 senior guys. Whatever the mechanics of it, 24/25 players last season didn't cripple us and Morris, Enckelman and Sandaza are all away, and you'd guess they would be some of the higher earners on fixed contracts, plus Sheridan wouldn't have come cheap, even if he did take a hit himself to come to Saints over Hibernian.

Personally, I'd like us to be spending slightly less than we (probably) are on wages and put a bit more faith/focus on our youth players. Certainly in the last PWC report, our wages/turnover ratio was above the recommended level. Are Motherwell miles ahead of us at U19 (now U20) level? They brought on two guys as substitutes yesterday that are part of their U20 squad and still took a point from the match. Saints meanwhile had six or seven experienced players sitting in the stand. Stuart McCall could only dream of that, yet Motherwell had a really good season last year and everyone expects them to do well again this year.

To defend the spending a bit more though, I'd be surprised if Europe didn't make us money, although I've seen all the suggestions that clubs lose money. UEFA give clubs shy of €80,000 or €90,000 I think for taking part, we had a home crowd of over 6,000, sold radio and TV rights for the home leg and sold off around 150 seats on a charter plane at £555 each, which in itself would bring in over £80,000. We also have the initial compensation package for Derek McInnes, which was supplemented by another £75,000 when Bristol City avoided relegation. That windfall in itself would more than pay for a one top player or two squad players you'd guess.

As said, though I think your question is valid and worth raising and discussing.

Perfectly valid question that hopefully you won't get shot down for asking. The thought has crossed my mind as well but thinking about it, last season our budget probably stretched to 24/25 senior players. Beattie's signing takes us up to 21 senior guys. Whatever the mechanics of it, 24/25 players last season didn't cripple us and Morris, Enckelman and Sandaza are all away, and you'd guess they would be some of the higher earners on fixed contracts, plus Sheridan wouldn't have come cheap, even if he did take a hit himself to come to Saints over Hibernian.

Personally, I'd like us to be spending slightly less than we (probably) are on wages and put a bit more faith/focus on our youth players. Certainly in the last PWC report, our wages/turnover ratio was above the recommended level. Are Motherwell miles ahead of us at U19 (now U20) level? They brought on two guys as substitutes yesterday that are part of their U20 squad and still took a point from the match. Saints meanwhile had six or seven experienced players sitting in the stand. Stuart McCall could only dream of that, yet Motherwell had a really good season last year and everyone expects them to do well again this year.

To defend the spending a bit more though, I'd be surprised if Europe didn't make us money, although I've seen all the suggestions that clubs lose money. UEFA give clubs shy of €80,000 or €90,000 I think for taking part, we had a home crowd of over 6,000, sold radio and TV rights for the home leg and sold off around 150 seats on a charter plane at £555 each, which in itself would bring in over £80,000. We also have the initial compensation package for Derek McInnes, which was supplemented by another £75,000 when Bristol City avoided relegation. That windfall in itself would more than pay for a one top player or two squad players you'd guess.

As said, though I think your question is valid and worth raising and discussing.

Interesting re youth policy Radford that tannoy man at Tynecastle said seven of the starting line up were all product of their academy set-up.

Steve Brown said in an interview that he could never rule out going into administration. That suggests to me that he is acutely aware of what we can and cannot spend.

I would go with this and I can't see Geoff sitting back if Steve started spending out with our means.

I wonder what position we finish in is budgeted for, if it's higher up i.e. top 6 then it might be a bit of a gamble but if it's for 11th then I can't see there being a problem.

I would go with this and I can't see Geoff sitting back if Steve started spending out with our means.

I wonder what position we finish in is budgeted for, if it's higher up i.e. top 6 then it might be a bit of a gamble but if it's for 11th then I can't see there being a problem.

I would be surprised with our history if we dont have plan for finishing 12th.

I think tehy always budget for going out of cups in the first round and ending lowest in the league, that way anything extra is a bonus.

i trust the board but do feel under Lomas we have too many senior members in the squad that we do not need. Michael Hart was a complete waste of a wage. i understand we need cover for injuries when they come but do we really need quite so much cover esp when he speaks of looking for another 3 to come in. when you see the players who cant get into our matchday squad i dont know wether to be happy or worry

I think tehy always budget for going out of cups in the first round and ending lowest in the league, that way anything extra is a bonus.

Well that's what I thought, as I said though, I don't see us spending out with our means or at least not having a plan in place should we have a bad season.

We made Sandaza a very good offer in January last season and there is no way Steve or Geoff would make an offer we couldn't afford to make. Hence why Sandaza didn't come back for this season.

OP - Very good question to ask.

In answer, I think we are probably still ok. Like others have mentioned the squad is smaller, which has probably knocked a few thousand a week off the wage bill. Those that have come in will not be on higher wages than Sheridan, Morris, Enckleman and Sandaza.

I think we have attracted a few decent players (reputation wise, as they are yet to prove they can cut it!) precisely because other teams are having to cut back big style to compensate for the loss of Rangers. You can see Hearts are struggling to bring in players, while Killie seem to be in the same boat.

This is something I've certainly been thinking about lately, especially when Lomas declared he was hoping to add another 3 players.

I have to admit I really don't have much faith in Lomas as a manager. I'm trying very hard to give him a chance, but I think he is struggling to keep his ambition in check. We simply don't need over 21 senior players at a club with our fan base and income. Players like May and Caddis, and the limited youth develpment are a total waste of money if they are never going to be given game time and a chance to grow as a player. Signings like Hart last season was simply a total waste of money.

I'm sure Steve Brown is trying to keep a strict budget in place and knows the figures better than any fan, but lets not forget we ran at a loss last year. The departures of Morris, Sandaza and Enkelman would go towards bridging that gap (and the loss of income from Rangers).

I'd personally like to see the departure of a player or two before we bring in the winger that has been spoken about. The squad we have is strong enough to do well this season, my worry is can the same thing be said about our manager?

I think we are probably spending a bit more than we would normally do however I think much of this risk is mitigated by the fact that there are no higher earner on a contract longer than 12 months, so that should the worst come to the worst we would not be left with a huge wage burden in the event of relegation.

A small gamble last year on Sandaza was ultimately the difference between top six and bottom six football and probably more income than was budgeted for. I think Lomas has probably made this point to the board and has been rewarded with a slight loosening of the purse strings.

When we don't appear to be spending Money you get calls of "Furfuxsake get the cheque book oot ect

For me it is just what normallly happens every close season S.Brown-There's yer Budget,S Lomas There's My Targets= All comes together!!

There is no Danger we are over spending it just wouldn't happen

That's the reason in my opinion that a lot of the deals are for a year as well

Take Beatie for Example

He will be on half decent by our standard circa 1500 on the understanding that if he get's a better deal next summer he will be offski

IN The 2 Stevies WE TRUST!!

Edited by THE LARK SAINT