Lomas Tenure Up?

St Mikey

451 at home and not changing it , made Aberdeen look like a league above us . Next week with vine and tade and hopefully Beattie will tell us a lot . but the one for me today was playing Liam I only have left foot on the right wing Lomas what are you thinking about should and could have been 5 1

451 at home and not changing it , made Aberdeen look like a league above us . Next week with vine and tade and hopefully Beattie will tell us a lot . but the one for me today was playing Liam I only have left foot on the right wing Lomas what are you thinking about should and could have been 5 1

Thus the reason I'm not on his back yet, i believe with that trio available thing will be different- hope I'm right though

Dont go for the Lomas out stuff at this stage!!Over reaction if you ask me ,jesus we have played 4 games, and before you ask no i don't count last season's form and add it to this as it as it is different players

Like others im not chuffed with his tactics today with one up front but his hands were tied were they not with 3 top class strikers sitting the game out through illness and suspension.

Who really thinks Higgins would of started today had any of the 3 been available? , i for one don't think so.

My biggest fear for Higgins now is that he will be the scapegoat for today and it may be a while, if at all till we see him again, certainly in the starting 11.

Lomas was not helped today by injuries to M.Davidson and wee Midge and of course Callum was out as well, which cant have helped

That said to set out with one forward at home to Aberdeen had me baffled and i expected us go with 2 up front when Millar went off, some of the decisions were a bit strange today but for now im still behind the Manager and i think he can turn it around

For me he has to about Santa time before this Saint starts getting on his back, and believe me i will be,

Just ask SLF about Billy Stark and Inverness when i finally lost it with him-Sacked on the Monday i believe!!!

He'll be gone long before you wake up and smell the coffee Larky..I would rather he was successful and Saints were flying, but it aint gonna happen. The man is well out of his depth. You only have to look at his post match interview. He takes NO responsibilty for that pish today. I don't think any of us think we are so good that we should not be beaten. Christ, as Saints fans, we are well used to it. What we won't put up with though is insipid and toothless performances. If we go down fighting then at least we are giving it a go. Our manager basically conceded that game before it even kicked of by going 1 up front and playing Craig on the wrong side ( as well as a few others out of position). His constant moaning about " shortage of players" has become tedious. The Saints board have backed him all the way but he has, is and will continue to fail to deliver. I have been unlucky enough to witness some awful St.Johnstone performances over the years ( as I know you have) but that shite today was up there with some of the worst. You can candy coat it as much as you like, make excuses about injuries, suspensions and bad luck but at the end of the day we have not won in 12 games and having already seen Saints play 5 competitive games this season, I cannae see where a win is gonna come from unless we change our tactics and start attacking teams..

Now MotD is coming on and finally I can actually watch some decent fitba. So I bid you goodnight.. :wink:

Dont go for the Lomas out stuff at this stage!!Over reaction if you ask me ,jesus we have played 4 games, and before you ask no i don't count last season's form and add it to this as it as it is different players

Like others im not chuffed with his tactics today with one up front but his hands were tied were they not with 3 top class strikers sitting the game out through illness and suspension.

Who really thinks Higgins would of started today had any of the 3 been available? , i for one don't think so.

My biggest fear for Higgins now is that he will be the scapegoat for today and it may be a while, if at all till we see him again, certainly in the starting 11.

Lomas was not helped today by injuries to M.Davidson and wee Midge and of course Callum was out as well, which cant have helped

That said to set out with one forward at home to Aberdeen had me baffled and i expected us go with 2 up front when Millar went off, some of the decisions were a bit strange today but for now im still behind the Manager and i think he can turn it around

For me he has to about Santa time before this Saint starts getting on his back, and believe me i will be,

Just ask SLF about Billy Stark and Inverness when i finally lost it with him-Sacked on the Monday i believe!!!

Have to agree with most of that. I'd give Lomas till December.

That said I can't remember the last time we had a good start to a season. I remember watching us getting pumped 0-3 by the Pars at the start of the 2008/2009 and thinking we should give Mcinnes a chance.......glad we did.

But I'd still expect to see some changes as I think the players we had available today should have been enough for a draw we just didn't play the right formation or match Aberdeen's attitude.

For example Higgins is not a target man and needed support from the start. I thought he tried to play as he was asked i.e. hold up the ball but it's just not his game. He looked much better when linking up with someone running from midfield. It was Lomas that asked him to play up top on his own so i can't really blame the guy.

Also Scobbie looked a little out of his depth but wasn't getting much help from whoever was asked to play on the left in front of him......I think it was a mistake to let Maybury go.

On the positive side I thought Adams and May did well when they came on. The former was getting pelters from Lomas but knuckled down and gave us a bit of grit the latter was always looking for the ball and finding good space just couldn't be picked out but the team (Cregg and Craig were guilty at least twice of feeding him really bad passes).

We'll win next week and today will seem like a bad memory :-)

The starting line up was baffling. Lomas sent then out there like lamb to the slaughter. He quite brilliantly managed to expose several of the players weakest links in one formation.....

Higgins is a player who links well with a strike partner......Lomas exposed him up front on his own

Liam struggles to stop the ball with his right foot nevermind do anything constructive with it.....Lomas plays him right midfield

Hasselbank not great at tracking back...Lomas plays him where he has two Aberdeen players, not burdened with defensive duties, constantly coming onto him

So, Lomas claims he was forced to play people out of position.....well, with the same starting eleven, as soon as he saw it wasn't working (or did he see it??), how about pushing Hasselbank up front with Higgins (suits them both), move Cregg into Center mid with Muzz, Chris out to right midfield and Liam to left midfield? A much better balanced 4-4-2 with NOBODY out of position? Making the change would have made Aberdeen have to react and could have broken their momentum. But, no, he spends his whole time in the dug out, probably making notes for his post-match interview

Not sure how many times we need to watch Higgins up front on his own to realise he can't play the lone striker role. He needs someone next to him to get the ball for him when he's lying flat on his back 90% of the game.

4-5-1 isn't a bad formation but it is when you deploy the players we did in it. Hasslebaink on the left and Craig on the right left both full backs exposed. Higgins had no support. With the players we had we had to go 442 but nope he sticks a striker on the right wing.

At one point we had a right back at left back, a striker at right wing, a striker at left wing, a left midfielder at centre mid and a 5ft 7 striker up top on his own playing as a target man.

Sorry Lomas but you can't blame the squad, you had the personnel to play everyone in their positions but you chose not to. We started with only 2 players in the 11 that wouldn't have been first pick. Even taking injuries into account we still should be competing.

Edited by Broon

Trying to find a reason to rebuff this threads title but sadly I cannot. What we saw out there today and what we have seen previously has done nothing to convince me that Steve Lomas is the man for the job. The players have to shoulder some of the blame but frankly they can only do what they are told. Higgins up front on his own , first home game of the SPL season was a disgraceful decision by the manager. He can site injuries and suspensions all he wants but it won't wash with me I am afraid.

Our team today had no shape, could not string more than 4 passes together and looked lost from the very start. And while all this was going on, Lomas in the dugout, had the look of a man who had no idea how to fix it. Some one said to me he looked just like John Connolly today and again, I have to agree.

For me, the next two games against Hibs and Dundee utd are his last chance. If by the end of the Utd game we are still without a win then I think he has to go.

I am lead to believe there are other on going issues which might hasten his departure. I won't post what I have been told these issues are on the forum, but should they be true ( The person who told me is not someone who is connected to the club) then he needs to go..

All in all things are not good which saddens me greatly but hey ho, St.johnstone are forever, managers ( and players) are merely passing through..

TOTALLY DISGUSTED WITH THIS TOPIC

I PICKED THIS POST BECAUSE OF THE (I AM LEAD TO BELIEVE BUT CANT TELL YOU) WHY MENTION IT THEN

I HAVE WATCHED SAINTS IN A LOT LOWER LEAGUES AND WITH A LOT WORSE MANAGERS BUT DO NOT RECALL SUCH REACTION AFTER 3 GAMES AT THE START OF THE SEASON (2 AWAY FROM HOME)

WHAT ABOUT SACK THE BOARD FOR CHOOSING THESE MANAGERS

I PICKED THIS POST BECAUSE OF THE (I AM LEAD TO BELIEVE BUT CANT TELL YOU) WHY MENTION IT THEN

I HAVE WATCHED SAINTS IN A LOT LOWER LEAGUES AND WITH A LOT WORSE MANAGERS BUT DO NOT RECALL SUCH REACTION AFTER 3 GAMES AT THE START OF THE SEASON (2 AWAY FROM HOME)

i agree. am sure after a bad start the knives were oot for mcinnies at one point as well.i blame mcdonalds quick food and satellite tv for the way fans react.

I understand the reaction, but it's not exclusive to this season. Today's goal was the first from open play (ie not a penalty and not from a corner) since March. We've only scored 3 league goals in our last 10 matches, picking up 2 points in the process. (I think that's right 0 might need to check this). We've totally lost our discipline in that time, played negative football and totally lost the feel good factor created under Del and in the early part of Lomas' tenure. All Lomas seems to do is be negative about Saints and his working conditions, which is ridiculous considering the signings he's been allowed to make this summer and the freedom he's allowed in his job. He's proving more and more than he's tactically naive (I'm being as kind as possible with that too) and that he doesn't have the capacity for a plan B.

I've not been happy with Lomas for longer than most - I've never liked this manner in interviews and I've always felt his tactics hindered rather than helped the team - and I'm really running out of patience with him now. His interviews saying that Europe was unwanted and his pro-Rangers stance have only stoked those particular flames, but I'd cope with that if he was getting even some things right on the pitch. He isn't.

Yep agreed, seems to be a bit of panic mode going down and like you i have seen some guff over the years!!

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

tactics aside was there any saints player who would have got in that aberdeen team (murray davidson maybe)

Mannus, Mackay, Anderson, Wright, Davidson, Millar and Craig were all regulars last season in a team that finished miles above Aberdeen in the league. Aberdeen have made 2 new signings that started today (and one kid who looked excellent too). We have proven in the last few years by way of our final league placing that we have a better team than Aberdeen and I believe we still do, but Lomas totally sold the jersey today with negative tactics and playing so many players out of their natural positions.

Speak up a bit mate

Lomas out!

Dasovic in!

knows all about the club, currently working as Canada U20 coach and was desperate for the job after Del left. Perfect replacement imo.

Yesterdays tactics were shocking, Mannus playing up front wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest the way he had the team set up!

Next two games are must win or he must go!

Lomas out!

Dasovic in!

knows all about the club, currently working as Canada U20 coach and was desperate for the job after Del left. Perfect replacement imo.

Yesterdays tactics were shocking, Mannus playing up front wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest the way he had the team set up!

I think we need a bit more experience if lomas is to go.

I made one of my rare trips up to McDiremid Park yesterday. I think we need someone who not only knows what to do on the park but also someone with a bit of charisma who people can get behind. I wonder what the results would have been if you had asked 100 people at random in Perth city centre "Who is the St Johnstone manager?" in a) the Alex Rennie era, B) the Totten era, c) the Steve Lomas era. Someone said to me last night (confesses to be a Celtic fan, I think), "Were you up at Aberdeen?". Jeezo.

I also think we need a "Souness" type figure on the park, somebody with big bollocks who is going to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and say "Phuck what the manager says, let's do what we think is right and let's get beat (if we have to) but at least have the opposition knowing they've had to fight tooth and nail for it."

I also wish we had never moved to the edge of town, and yes I know Muirton Park was the same when it was built. Can you imagine the buzz if we had built a wee compact stadium between the lade and Dunkeld Road at St Catherine Retail Park? Put St Johnstone back into the heart of Perth literally and figuratively.

Edit: That face is meant to be a "b" with a bracket after it

Edited by Saint Ziggy Stardust

Lomas out!

Dasovic in!

Seen Dasovic walking down Newhouse Road yesterday, why would he be there?